The Jam Room Blog Thread.

Started by Discö Rice, November 14, 2012, 07:10:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VOLVO)))

My back patio looked like someone ran a hose into it. It was godawful. I slipped in the carport, and fell. It's colder than hell now.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

JemDooM

Heh ;)

Awesome story Danny! And Foxen that sounds amazing, a tuning fork tuned to the frequencies of the Earth ~.~
DooM!

Danny G

Wow, that other 432 thread Racer referenced was indeed a shitstorm. Not a major shitstorm, but a decent Cat 1.

Yeah, as for 432 vs 440 I call bullshit on the Nazis implementing it for mind-control purposes. Did they look into that tho? Probably, they looked into all kinds of weird shit.

But based on the numerous videos all over the net of sand/salt/etc forming diff patterns with diff frequencies, I think 432 vs 440 is onto something just in terms of vibrations produced. Like how in those vids the grains/whatever would form a complex pattern, then disperse a little as the pitch was raised, until the next favorable vibrational frequency created another pattern.

And that is my thoughts on 432 vs 440, that 432 is closer to one of the pattern-forming frequencies while 440 might be a little off.

*Gets out my umbrella, just in case*

The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com

Mr. Foxen

Quote from: Danny G on December 26, 2013, 10:37:29 PM
But based on the numerous videos all over the net of sand/salt/etc forming diff patterns with diff frequencies, I think 432 vs 440 is onto something just in terms of vibrations produced. Like how in those vids the grains/whatever would form a complex pattern, then disperse a little as the pitch was raised, until the next favorable vibrational frequency created another pattern.

And that is my thoughts on 432 vs 440, that 432 is closer to one of the pattern-forming frequencies while 440 might be a little off.

Patterns is pretty much going to be down to grain size/mass type formula, frequency needs to be tuned to that. Forming a chunnky pattern is pretty much fail in audio, its a visual representation of beat tones (like the thing when you get a rhythm from two strings out of tune) and room nulls, you get a chunky pattern when the frequency is wrong for the thing you compare it with (in those examples the other string and the room modes respectively).

Mr. Foxen

VOLVO)))

Alright, you limey goofball, how do i give you my money through my monitor.

Literally though, send me a blank and Ill put a fretless fretboard on it... Total milling time? Ill take a roughie.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

JemDooM

Woah look at the size of them!

Iv been reading up on this it's fascinating to say the least! This might explain why I always used to insist on tuning by ear, I used to plink and strum away until I found something that sounded like the way this is described, I hated tuners but after a while was convinced to start using them for practical reasons, after we recorded the album I still complained wishing I'd tuned by ear and said during mixing some parts didn't sound right to me in this sense, I'm gonna do some experimenting now to get to the bottom of this!
DooM!

MichaelZodiac

I still want one of those alu necks in 34" scale.
"To fully experience music is to experience the true inner self of a human being" -Pøde Jamick

Nolan

Mr. Foxen

Need to all use the same tuner for studio tuning, as they don't all agree with each other.

Scale is all down to the spacing of the frets on the board, and having no board yet, that is to be determined.

liquidsmoke

Quote from: JemDooM on December 29, 2013, 12:40:21 PM
Woah look at the size of them!

Iv been reading up on this it's fascinating to say the least! This might explain why I always used to insist on tuning by ear, I used to plink and strum away until I found something that sounded like the way this is described, I hated tuners but after a while was convinced to start using them for practical reasons, after we recorded the album I still complained wishing I'd tuned by ear and said during mixing some parts didn't sound right to me in this sense, I'm gonna do some experimenting now to get to the bottom of this!

I trust my tuner more than my ear but I never thought about how important everyone using the same tuner might be.

My ear thinks my guitar is in tune when it's only basically in tune which means that it will usually get out of tune faster. I tune about every other song live. I've seen a fair number of bands over the last few years where one of the players, perhaps even just one string or just the intonation was off enough to pretty much ruin entire songs, even full sets. Sad. I'd rather tune too much than be out of tune, people can stand there and lose their beer buzz I guess. Oh that's right, we are usually so slow that they do anyway  :D

liquidsmoke

Let's say one of your close friends offers to paint cover art for your upcoming demo/album and you talk about and agree on a theme/idea but they later completely go off course and present you with a nice piece but not one that has much of anything to do with what you previously talked about. How do you handle this? You don't want to offend them but dude, it's not what we talked about, you know?

???

Danny G

If its not useable, just talk to them respectfully and concisely, and hope they don't flip out.

I learned the hard way long ago to either do the art myself, or hire a pro to do it. No longer leaving that to friends...

Sent from a can on some string using Tapatalk
The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com

MichaelZodiac

Or friends who are pros.

I'd definitely talk to them about it, see if they remember what you were getting at.
"To fully experience music is to experience the true inner self of a human being" -Pøde Jamick

Nolan

jibberish

hey you people are right about halestorm. those old covers are consistently weak. their recorded material is basically not very special overall.
I watched a whole bunch more.

however, the one thing that stands is their attitude.  this is a live party band. that's what caught my eye in the first place.
but yeah, no depth. I be eatin some crow here, I randomly stumbled upon a decent video as my first look.

I still think the bangles are one awesome group. underrated as all hell by everyone
(feeble attempt at smokescreening to run from haleshitstorm)

Jake

A bit of morning comedy for you to either enjoy (or reaffirm your dislike of me).

Background: I've got an empty Orange PPC412 on craigslist for $275. The ad very prominently discourages trades and lowball offers. Lowballing being a pet peeve of mine that I do not often practice myself, and NEVER in cases where the seller is firm or asks not to. Here is an email exchange from this morning.

Him: Could you do $200 on the empty cab?

Me: Sorry. I can only go as low as $300.

Him: Your ad says $275.00.

Me: Ah. So it does. I didn't think you read it since it also says no lowballs.

Him: New one for $711.00 + free shipping (he links to a new Orange COMPACT – budget – 4x12 with budget speakers on ebay)

Me: 1. Mine's a PPC412HP, not a "smaller, lighter, more compact" model.  2. Offer them $550. Then lament about it.

Him: $250 makes a little more sense. It'll cost over $400 to load it with vintage 30's and I can buy a brand new one for $711.00 with free shipping. At $250 at least I might be saving $40.00. otherwise, it's just not worth it when I can buy a brand new one for the same price.

Me: Then buy the new one. But there are definitely not Vintage 30s in that entry-level "compact" Orange auction you sent me, so rethink your math.

Him: Good luck. I'd rather have the compact unit.

Me: Appreciated. Best of luck to you and your compact unit.
poop.

jibberish

Me: Ah. So it does. I didn't think you read it since it also says no lowballs.

that was beautiful.

Jake

Ha! I figured you for the latter category, jib.

I'm glad you seem to agree that I had the high ground and was dickish only as a reaction to him being discourteous. Well, high ground up until the penis entendre.
poop.

black aspirin

I have my Roland V-Drums on Craigslist for $1350, which gets about a 98% scam-as-reply ratio, but here was the latest 'offer'.

HIM:  "I have $600."
ME:  "Awesome!  Let me know when you get the other $750, and we have a deal.  In other words, fuck off."

Yeah, it was harsh, but deserved.  To the scammers that send me texts, I have a stored picture of my middle finger that gets used quite a lot in response.
This Juan goes to 11.

liquidsmoke

Quote from: Jake on December 30, 2013, 02:51:16 PM
Me: Sorry. I can only go as low as $300.

Me: Appreciated. Best of luck to you and your compact unit.

Not as good as the Chevy Cavalier story but still quality.

fallen

Jake can I retroactively low ball you on that Yamaha I bought off of you? It's got a scratch on it and I found an Epiphone gothic SG for less money. (JK!!)

P.S. That guitar is loving B standard tuning and life at sea level.

jibberish

Quote from: black aspirin on December 30, 2013, 03:10:45 PM
I have my Roland V-Drums on Craigslist for $1350, which gets about a 98% scam-as-reply ratio, but here was the latest 'offer'.

HIM:  "I have $600."
ME:  "Awesome!  Let me know when you get the other $750, and we have a deal.  In other words, fuck off."

Yeah, it was harsh, but deserved.  To the scammers that send me texts, I have a stored picture of my middle finger that gets used quite a lot in response.

what's the good ole boy price? ironically , I have $600

8D 8D  j/k  [snicker face goes here]

naw, B&H dropped those crown xls 1500 amps to $350 to beat everyone else at the last minute. 31st is the last day of the sale. I think I am going to pull the trigger on a pair of them. 575w/ch clean into 4 ohms stereo. bridgeable to 1500 watts in 2ohm mono. great for reactive loads like subs, very quiet.  those are beasts.  good reviews everywhere I have read...

we are going to have a PA that my son can drum as loud as he wants to, and still hear it. so then we can add vocals, keys, bass(mic an amp) since the PA is full range high powered.  ultimately I want 4 of those amps. then I can rig any sized setup I need, or 2 separate setups even.

and now that I am going to cover journey to the center of the mind, I may actually put my money where my mouth is and get a sarcophagus, after the amps which I absolutely need more than anything else for the music system. why do I watch those fucking pedal demos. I end up wanting all of them. I am not even going to get started on slyman.

Instant Dan

The (original) Gothic series from Gibson and Epiphone are such great guitars.

I have been thinking of selling my Mock and Tele and just get one good guitar, something with P90's, and a good acoustic as of lately.

mutantcolors

Quote from: Instant Dan on January 01, 2014, 05:08:36 PM

I have been thinking of selling and just get something with P90's,

Solid plan.

liquidsmoke

Can anyone recommend a good accurate condenser in the $40-60 range?

Is something like this any good?- http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/677773-REG/MXL_MCA_SP1_MCA_SP1_Large_Diaphragm.html

liquidsmoke