The Jam Room Blog Thread.

Started by Discö Rice, November 14, 2012, 07:10:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JemDooM

Quote from: The Riffer on December 12, 2013, 06:26:20 PM
^ A VERY renowned guitarist recently told me that the two stacks he plays on stage is only half of his sound, and aren't in the PA. The other half is a 20w combo w/ a Pharaoh mic'd for the PA. The mix of the two was thunderous and raw.

Awesome stuff!

I have this Laney 1x12 combo iv always wanted to mic up for a gig as it sounds awesome!

I'm wondering what'd happen if Sunn0))) (the band!) we're to do this....
DooM!

moose23

Jake

Quote from: JemDooM on December 15, 2013, 04:48:04 AM

Then they'd have finally done something interesting. BOOM! Oh no I di'int.

I did.
poop.

VOLVO)))

"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

JemDooM

Quote from: Jake on December 15, 2013, 01:29:56 PM
Quote from: JemDooM on December 15, 2013, 04:48:04 AM

Then they'd have finally done something interesting. BOOM! Oh no I di'int.

I did.

Hah! ;)

DooM!

JemDooM

Thanks Jake :)

Quote from: moose23 on December 15, 2013, 11:59:24 AM
Which Laney 1x12?

It's an LV100, celestion rocket 50, sounds really good...
DooM!

liquidsmoke

I don't remember what I paid for this thing new but I don't think it was even close to what it's up to. Go baby go!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/M-Audio-DMP3-2-channel-mic-preamp-/121233041211?

edit:
$182.50
I like it.

moose23

Quote from: JemDooM on December 16, 2013, 12:35:33 PM
Thanks Jake :)

Quote from: moose23 on December 15, 2013, 11:59:24 AM
Which Laney 1x12?

It's an LV100, celestion rocket 50, sounds really good...

Cool I used to have the LC30 which sounds great too. It's since been converted into a head.

JemDooM

DooM!

Mr. Foxen

Spent this morning being interviewed for a documentary on KT88, might have come across as a retard as was working on about 3 hours sleep (not used to this morning thing). Then filmed my band playing at practice space, recorded by my mate who does sound for Om, mics still had Om tour stickers on, cool. Except I played like utter shit due to the 4 hours sleep thing.

AgentofOblivion

Is KT88 a band or is there a documentary about tube amps with KT88s in them?

Mr. Foxen

Quote from: AgentofOblivion on December 18, 2013, 10:38:46 AM
Is KT88 a band or is there a documentary about tube amps with KT88s in them?

Not even that, just specifically about the KT88 valve itself, being in amps is peripheral. The filmed my band playing, but all my amps were loaded with KT77.

Jake

Figured y'all might dig on this. Unless you like '80s drum machine awfulness.

http://deege.free.fr/zztop/
poop.

RacerX

Livin' The Life.

Pissy

Got em on vinyl. ;)

Well, all but Tejas.  When I find it, I'll pick that one up too. 
Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

I like 80's drum machine/synth awfulness and I uber appreciate this.
No Focus Pocus

The Riffer

Jake, thats fuckin rad. thank you!
BLACK ARTS TONEWORKS
Black Arts Instagram
Black Arts FB
New Horizons, Talkin' 'bout
a True, Defiant, Alliance

jibberish

ya that was a big deal when they fucked all that zz top up. cool someone stepped up to the plate and sorted it out. this is definitely to replace the nasty cd's and it sure does.

I didn't really care though since I already had all the vinyl albums of theirs that I wanted.  fandango on vinyl. essential music.
the studio cuts are really full and rich. sounded so good. like heard it on the x mmmm hmmmm

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

looks like my holidaay gearfest is going to have to wait. i'm fucking myself, but i will sleep good at night.
i am giving the toyota that i was going to flip to my sister. she needs a decent car badly. this is the best beater i have ever gotten, and i have been flipping cars forever.
it would have sold in a day. $1800-$2000 is a lot of gear.

but you know...knowing my sister was in a bad way, and i'm swimming in toys....shit.

SHIT!

Headshrinker

Quote from: Jake on December 20, 2013, 12:10:01 AM
Figured y'all might dig on this. Unless you like '80s drum machine awfulness.

http://deege.free.fr/zztop/

Dug!

RacerX

Having learned to play in open E, open D & DADGAD tunings, I'm now getting at open G.

I can see why Keith Richard removes the low string, but I'm trying to soldier past that. Gotta mute it for a bunch of chords, tho.

Currently comparing using the heel of the right hand with using the thumb on the left to see which is better.
Livin' The Life.

JemDooM

I had the same plan for the next few weeks racer playing with different tunings, I want to play some drop D and open G as iv been listening to Jeff Buckley a lot...

Seriously awesome Jake!

This is why iv never been into remixes, I wouldn't want to hear anything more polished, there is something magical about music being left in it's original state warts (supposedly to some) and all, just goes to show that no amount of new or supposed better technology can make a better master..

We got our final masters back from James Plotkin the other day, the difference is amazing, I said it felt like the album was a closed rose bud that needed to have all it's petals brought out, I was a little worried incase he might not be able to improve it much but that was exactly what it felt like, the instruments all breath in their own space more, though now it's clearer it shows up the flaws like slight mis-timings etc, I really want to re-record a couple of the solos but it's far too late and I'm keen to look forward and not back now. Already cannot wait to record another album, have learned so many lessons from this...
DooM!

Danny G

Ever experiment with 432Hz tuning as opposed to 440Hz (standard tuning)?

It's between E and E flat, leaning more towards E. But I presume you can apply that slightly lowered tuning to any tuning (tune instrument to 432, then take it down how ever many steps from there using 432 as the reference point)

Supposedly creates a more harmonic and 'pleasing' vibrational pattern.

I've messed with it twice, once at home recording and once in one of the 2 full band rehearsals with Ocean of Stars before my sax player had to leave town a bit to be with his family as his mom is sick.

There is something very very different about it, def creates a diff energy. Was noticeable in the full rehearsal, and VERY noticeable when I was home recording.

As I finished up the last guitar track my GF at the time got home n walked in the door, stopped in her tracks, and had to go out onto our open air patio/living room as I opened the house. She said the energy was very VERY weird in the house. Not good or bad, but def enough to affect her. She described it as if the entire energy of our house had been shaken up like a snow globe, and just needed some time to re-settle.

Shit. I should have tried that tuning a long time ago, cause maybe we would have broken up several years earlier, hahaha
The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com

RacerX

Livin' The Life.

Mr. Foxen

When I was researching for the octobass, came across a dude who collects tuning forks, tuning has been to various standards over time and tuning forks from periods reflect this. Also he had some weird ones, like tuned to harmonics of frequencies of the Earth or some shit.

Jake

Some Xmas haikus for yous...

Must've been naughty
Did not get what I asked for
A shit ton of meth

Full of Christmas cheer
Santa, in his bright red suit
That means he's a Blood

Florida Christmas
Thick, wet, dense humidity
Wait... no, that's the farts

Last one's for Jake)))