The Jam Room Blog Thread.

Started by Discö Rice, November 14, 2012, 07:10:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JemDooM

DooM!

jibberish

oh man, now there is a story to laugh about later over a beer (after the trauma has fully worn off).  holy shit.

\m/

fallen

I had become the main singer and guitar player of my band, moving up from drums, and started our first big important show ever by spacing out and forgetting to walk up to the mic to sing the first verse of our first song.

Whatever... I just walked over while the rest of the band was staring at me and started singing when the chorus kicked in. I'm sure no one else in the room even noticed. It's not like we were playing music that everyone knew from the radio.

If I was messing up a solo I'd just pull out the Neil Young/Fast Eddie trick and zip up to whatever fret the root note was and pull a double stop on the B/high E for 16 bars or so. Maybe add some wah wah for flavour.  ;)

RAGER

If you fuck up, do it twice so they think it's supposed to be that way.
No Focus Pocus

mortlock

i played a show one time where aaron[guitar/vox. me on bass in the pic.] got this idea to get a bunch of cow parts from the Mexican butcher and throw it at the crowd. so I show up at his house to load up all the gear and I find him around back with a 5 gallon bucket full of cow intestines and a cow heart. hes soaking it all in this part real/part fake blood concoction. I was like "wtf are you going to do with that??"..then he told me. it was a crazy show to say the least. I did get pegged with a piece of cow heart at one point when people started throwing shit back at us.  
pic for proof is arron throwing the cow heart and note the intestines wrapped around the pole above us. haha funny thing was, we played there again about a month after that show and the intestines were still hanging there all shriveled up.. that was awesome. burn victim phx, az  2000-01.

MichaelZodiac

I've heard stories from beginning mathcore bands (think Dillinger Escape Plan & screamo Orchid rip-offs) that they partied because one of them broke his straight edge, got really high and the drummer played the drum parts for a different song. It sounded better according to them.
"To fully experience music is to experience the true inner self of a human being" -Pøde Jamick

Nolan

khoomeizhi

hey jumz - you see this (favorable) review of your birmingham watain show? has video too.

http://www.nocleansinging.com/2013/12/10/watain-funeral-throne-coltsblood-live-at-the-institute-birmingham-dec-7-2013/#more-69032

i never go by what seems to be the general reaction of the room (we're playing underground music, which means that even within the larger group of underground fans, we'll only ever interest some of them). you gotta go by the few people who come up afterward and say 'holy shit, that was great! didn't know what to expect, but you blew my mind! any more shows coming up?'...this reviewer is that guy for you this time. don't worry, you done good.
let's dispense the unpleasantries

JemDooM

Thanks for finding that khoomz! The problem was just that I didn't realise there'd be some people there who would HATE us and take things so seriously, and if I'd thought of that I might have said no, and prevented myself from having to hear dickheads shouting and being really insulting, I'm really anti dickhead I can't stand to be in the same room as one, I'm just out to have a good time, and that was not a good time haha ;) backstage was hardly a barrel of laughs either  ::)
DooM!

RAGER

That's a really good review Jem and great video to boot.  You gotta fight fire with fire.  You da one with the mic.  Remember that.
No Focus Pocus

jibberish

^

I must admt, I like that watain band's music. glad youtube isn't in 3-D smell-O-vision. 

that video showed people "getting" it while they listened to your doom piece in the vid. like once they caught on to the slowly descending tempo, and I guess that word "monolithic" fits, strikes, but timed for more impact, they were waiting for the next blast, check it out again heh.

red giant story time:  ok, all the guys in red giant and like the shigle bros. and jimmy "spud" in chimaera and a couple other happening metal type people are all from the same neighborhood right here.  SO, one time chimaera is headlining a nu-metal bill (of course I got full pass to the whole place, I knew the dudes in 2 of the bands) at the big stage at the agora and they invited red giant (blues based heavy riff rock). the crowd was ice for the first couple songs. I personally was dying inside for those guys as they slugged out the first couple numbers.  THEN they hit a groove on one song and won the crowd.  it turned out to be a nice palette cleanser between main courses because the people finally got into the energy and the coolness of the performance for what it was.

spookstrickland

There used to be a band around Portland that would invite chicks up on stage them vomit on them, super fucking gross!
I'm beginning to think God was an Astronaut.
www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

VOLVO)))

You have to remember, most black metal fans are total pretentious cocksuckers.

I am one, I would know.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

eddiefive10

Jem I dig your band, your drummer has a good sense of carrying the music through the slower stuff and keeping a good groove

liquidsmoke

Blood, guts, any kind of liquids, ack. Nasty gross mess.

Tried my roommate's Mesa Studio guitar preamp into the effects return of my little class D SS 350 watt Fender Rumble bass head tonight and it sounded really good with the eq in the V shape. We cranked it up too. SS headroom and tube distortion is a great combo. Now I feel like I kind of understand how Mesa is able to charge so much for their amps.

Going to get a Crate Power Block cheap for it's preamp to run into the Rumble.

jibberish

^ I agree. even the pre-out from the little 12ax7 in the fender gretas, into any ss combo I have tried just sounds most excellent.
taking that one step further, the greta sounds good through the mixer and stereo too(aka PA)

I have had this ancient kustom 30w 12" combo forever and I never really liked it.   now, I wont get rid of it, because it screams like a mutha with the greta driving it. the speaker opens up with that ..you know SOUND.. where it is that sweet raggedy sound.   speaking of red giant, when they kicked it with those 100% marshall stacks, those speakers all opened up like what i'm talking about..first time I really noticed that subtle thing.

Danny G

OK, figured out how to use a Boss tuner as a poor man's ABY box to run the Loop Station to it's own amp.

Now the problem is that I have 2 Marshall 4x12s and only 1 amp...
The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com

dogfood

Wow, that guy really wrote y'all up nice like.  Better buy that guy a beer Jem.

I once played with a guy who had some shitty little combo that he dimed and it sounded like a shitty little amp dimed.  But when he miked it through a pa it sounded like a fucking monster.  The practice room pa had lots of headroom...never would have guessed but it was an excellent pairing.
Problem solving whiskey!

The Riffer

^ A VERY renowned guitarist recently told me that the two stacks he plays on stage is only half of his sound, and aren't in the PA. The other half is a 20w combo w/ a Pharaoh mic'd for the PA. The mix of the two was thunderous and raw.
BLACK ARTS TONEWORKS
Black Arts Instagram
Black Arts FB
New Horizons, Talkin' 'bout
a True, Defiant, Alliance

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

The Riffer

Ha. I wish. If Angus played a Pharaoh, I'd literally shit my drawers.
BLACK ARTS TONEWORKS
Black Arts Instagram
Black Arts FB
New Horizons, Talkin' 'bout
a True, Defiant, Alliance

RAGER

I've read numerous times his sole sound is a jtm and 4x12in an iso chamber under the stage.
No Focus Pocus

dogfood

Studio, fantastic recording.

Problem solving whiskey!

moose23

Quote from: The Riffer on December 12, 2013, 06:26:20 PM
^ A VERY renowned guitarist recently told me that the two stacks he plays on stage is only half of his sound, and aren't in the PA. The other half is a 20w combo w/ a Pharaoh mic'd for the PA. The mix of the two was thunderous and raw.

Seen this mentioned on ILF a few days ago. Great stuff.

fallen

Quote from: RAGER on December 12, 2013, 06:39:28 PM
I've read numerous times his sole sound is a jtm and 4x12in an iso chamber under the stage.

A part of his sound is also the compression and boost that is added to the signal coming out of his ancient wireless system.

And his hands. There is some clip on youtube, I think in the Back In Black Classic Albums video, of him plugged in to some random amp during an interview and yet he still sounds amazing.

dogfood

Quote from: fallen on December 13, 2013, 11:46:14 PM
Quote from: RAGER on December 12, 2013, 06:39:28 PM

A part of his sound is also the compression and boost that is added to the signal coming out of his ancient wireless system.

And his hands. There is some clip on youtube, I think in the Back In Black Classic Albums video, of him plugged in to some random amp during an interview and yet he still sounds amazing.

AC/DC is are were a bar band, the best ever. Angus has "it" like I will never have.  Malcolm, dude!
Problem solving whiskey!