The Jam Room Blog Thread.

Started by Discö Rice, November 14, 2012, 07:10:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

liquidsmoke

Cool. I saw Yes 3 times about 10 years ago and they blew my mind each time and played 98% '70s material. 2 of these shows were with Rick Wakeman and Jon was with them for all 3. A few years after that period Jon got sick so they got this new guy(who I believe is from a Canadian Yes tribute). What I don't know is why Jon didn't come back after he got well. I heard years ago that they just didn't invite him back which seems pretty fucking weird but there is probably more to the story. Anyone know the real deal on this?

Anyway, one of the best bands of all time and on my top 3.

jibberish

nice. I really missed out on some stuff through the 90's being 110% corporate boy. like a whole uber straight, all biz, lifestyle for 10 years. duh-me, anyway...

I only saw them once before. in like 77, and I would guess touring the going for the one album(I was wasted, certain details escape me). but wakeman was back, so it was definitely post-moraz/relayer.  they were great.

the wild thing was Donovan was the warmup act..this was in Jackson coliseum, Jackson MS.   I never saw a synchronized spark it up like that day when they killed the lights and yes started.  the whole placed sparked. there were trains of joints just going up and down the rows nonstop until everyone was too baked to keep passing. we all fed all ours into the machine.

truly a super pro band. even my buddy was saying "wait. THIS IS YES!! RIGHT THERE!!!RIGHT!....THERE!"
my son went too. he is a total close to the edge fan. makes me proud [symbolic tear wipe]

edit: I wonder if jon is just too old and too many shows to have the really strong voice of yore. this new john is phenomenal and younger. old instrument players seem to just get smoother and smoother, but old vocalists, IMO, get the rob halford syndrome. ripper smokes halford and they should get him back too
total conjecture tho.. I have no idea, just that this new guy slays.

liquidsmoke

Whoa '77? Nice! I was brewing in my mom that year haha.

I'm not sure what the '90s shows were like but by the time I saw them in the early Dumbya years they were full on into doing the retro thing thankfully. At one point I owned all of their albums but only got into Drama and back.

Lumpy

Treble boosters! I'm really into this Screaming Bird treble booster. I guess a lot of people hate the Screaming Bird? Adds raunch (and cuts a little low end). With nothing else added, it sounds like Captain Beefheart's guitars (Zoot Horn Rollo or whoever). Not stoner rock-related, but whatever.

No experience with other treble boosters, but I'm curious now. Anybody got a treble booster on their board?
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

jibberish

idk if this is of interest, but a really nice tour picture diary by tony Levin.

http://www.papabear.com/tours/pg12/pg12_1.htm

i was merely looking to find that bass in these videos, which evidently is a "chapman stick" which i can now learn more about.
these 2 videos showcase what 4 superstars combined can do.  cant touch this shit.
when i saw them, i walked out schooled by the bass. he has bass lines, countermelodies, weird sounds, all at once on that stick.
i watch these 2 videos over and over...

xayk

^^^ Levin is amazing. I only saw him live once, as part of the Crimson double-trio, but he was top-notch.

Quote from: Lumpy on August 09, 2013, 02:15:16 AM
Treble boosters! I'm really into this Screaming Bird treble booster. I guess a lot of people hate the Screaming Bird? Adds raunch (and cuts a little low end). With nothing else added, it sounds like Captain Beefheart's guitars (Zoot Horn Rollo or whoever). Not stoner rock-related, but whatever.

No experience with other treble boosters, but I'm curious now. Anybody got a treble booster on their board?

My favorite is, of all things, Run Off Groove's 'May Queen' : http://www.runoffgroove.com/mayqueen.html

It's a project, but it just sounds great... I broke it and should probably build another one.  I also built a germanium Rangemaster clone a while ago that, conversely, never sounded right to me, and I ended up cannibalizing for parts. But maybe I'll spend the weekend building and comparing treble boosters - the Screaming Bird is just an LBP-1 with teensy input and output caps, if memory serves. Treble booster shootout!

RacerX

Livin' The Life.

Jake

I wanted him the fall almost the whole time.
poop.

Chovie D

first gig with the hawaiian band is tomorrow at a private party. got damn they sound fucking amazing. its been really fun  ;D

RacerX

Quote from: Jake on August 09, 2013, 05:49:37 PM
I wanted him the fall almost the whole time.

Unfortunately for us, his wakeboarding talent eclispes his musical talent.

Quote from: Chovie D on August 09, 2013, 06:26:02 PM
first gig with the hawaiian band is tomorrow at a private party. got damn they sound fucking amazing. its been really fun  ;D

So you figured out the C6 thing?
Livin' The Life.

Chovie D

enought to fake it. Im still pretty lost techinically, it would be hard to improvise anything  good on this tuning for me or sit in on a song i didnt know yet. but ive memorized the melody lines I need to play and the chords for the songs so i am feelin confident enough. mai tai's ahoy.

dogfood

FUCKING AWESOME ;D.  I am now looking at two Traynor Bass Masters.  Pics at 11.
Problem solving whiskey!

Lumpy

Quote from: Chovie D on August 09, 2013, 06:26:02 PM

A band that girls might like, what a crazy concept.

RAGER

I am sooo super diggin my reel to reel amp.  Fucking love it.  If I get some time I'll try to record a little demo of it.  It overdrives so easy.  I just pretty much dime it and a Boss Super Overdrive just clicked on is enough to get kill tones.  I have a Carbon Copy in line also.
No Focus Pocus

Lumpy

A friend of mine used to use a cassette deck as a hillbilly-style distortion box. He said it sounded awesome.  (a 'field recorder', not a home stereo unit).

I still think you should see if you can somehow engage (and offset?) the tape heads, to get a built-in tape delay. I don't know if that's even possible though.

jibberish

Quote from: Lumpy on August 10, 2013, 06:27:27 PM
A friend of mine used to use a cassette deck as a hillbilly-style distortion box. He said it sounded awesome.  (a 'field recorder', not a home stereo unit).

I still think you should see if you can somehow engage (and offset?) the tape heads, to get a built-in tape delay. I don't know if that's even possible though.

seriously talk to MJS about doing fucked up effects with tape decks.

unfortunately, if it isn't a 3 head deck, the head EITHER reads or writes.  so you cant have a continuous writing and reading simultaneously to get a delay recorded and played simultaneously. if you had a read and write head, which would be a 3-head deck, then adjyusting delay time is done via the size of the loop between the write head and the read head.  {that little second head is the erase head on a std 2-head deck btw)

Lumpy

black aspirin

Picked up this desk from a CraigsList ad today, to accommodate my new iMac and foray into recording music again.  Later on, I'll have a setup where the whole deal is in a closet of mine, and the monitors will be up on shelves in the corners, slightly above ear-level.  But that's my only complaint for now...there's no room for them to fit up on the desk.

Still getting all of my software and shit set up properly, and have started sequencing drum tracks.  Took my SG to GuitarCenter to get re-strung and have the intonation adjusted properly.  My synth software is up and running, but I'm gonna read up on the manual again to try to learn how to get more customized sounds than their presets (although they have some great presets).  Also working on downloading new plug-ins; will hopefully find a reverse noise gate so I can re-record 'Antimatter' to my liking.

This Juan goes to 11.

jibberish

i'll wait till you're done before I ask to have it, so ...git er done!!!!

Danny G

Selling the pro tools 9 software I bought few months back. After the breakup I no longer have a computer to install it on, and with my income I won't for a very long time.

On a related note, looking for musical work but very slow going, which troubles me deeply. Bills don't pay themselves and I don't like the idea of playing in a band I don't believe in to cover my living expenses, which are as cheap as you can get and not be living in a box behind a dumpster.

But I've been getting out there and trying to network, which has been awesome. Great music, reconnecting with friends and musical family.

But fucking hell, I wish I was having as good of luck finding work as I am with the ladies. No complaints there... But what little money I have coming in aint gonna last long.

Sent from a can on some string using Tapatalk
The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com

jibberish

Quote from: Danny G on August 12, 2013, 12:11:40 AM
Selling the pro tools 9 software I bought few months back. After the breakup I no longer have a computer to install it on, and with my income I won't for a very long time.

On a related note, looking for musical work but very slow going, which troubles me deeply. Bills don't pay themselves and I don't like the idea of playing in a band I don't believe in to cover my living expenses, which are as cheap as you can get and not be living in a box behind a dumpster.

But I've been getting out there and trying to network, which has been awesome. Great music, reconnecting with friends and musical family.

But fucking hell, I wish I was having as good of luck finding work as I am with the ladies. No complaints there... But what little money I have coming in aint gonna last long.

what is the system requirements for that pro tools version?  outside chance i can help you out.  can it run on dualcore processor, 64bit win with 4gig of RAM?

jibberish

still looking for a usb audio interface to go to a very good home,. all would approve. please pm me if you know of a "don't wanner" laying around somewhere

bbottom

Mass Driver had it's first show last Monday opening for Lo Pan. Things went decent and we had a good time.

Some pics

Danny G

Re: pro tools

Heck I dunno. It's 9 with a free upgrade to 10. According to GC guy who sold it to me, we would have had to soup up operating system and memory of the now ex's iMac (2009 model), glad now we didn't have the cash to do that.

One of the exotic jungle cat systems and something about 6gb for memory.

The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com

jibberish

Quote from: Danny G on August 12, 2013, 02:12:50 AM
Re: pro tools

Heck I dunno. It's 9 with a free upgrade to 10. According to GC guy who sold it to me, we would have had to soup up operating system and memory of the now ex's iMac (2009 model), glad now we didn't have the cash to do that.

One of the exotic jungle cat systems and something about 6gb for memory.

ok, that is enough of an answer for me to say no I don't want to buy it. that is pretty hi end. thx chief.