The Jam Room Blog Thread.

Started by Discö Rice, November 14, 2012, 07:10:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAGER

Should I go pick up this Peavey VTX classic for $75?  Hisses and pops when it warms up.
No Focus Pocus

VOLVO)))

Yesh, get it. I have one. Rules. Clean the thing and it will be just fine. It's loud as all fuck.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

RAGER

Is yours the hybrid or all tube?
No Focus Pocus

VOLVO)))

Hybrid, with phaser. Mine has been cut down into a head

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

JemDooM

Quote from: RAGER on July 19, 2013, 12:24:52 PM
Should I go pick up this Peavey VTX classic for $75?  Hisses and pops when it warms up.

sounds like a bargain it prob just needs a clean like Sunn said!
DooM!

RAGER

I have a call into the guy.  I'll prolly just fix it and sell it.  If it has the footswitch I can maybe get 200-225
No Focus Pocus

Chovie D

learning this new tuning is frustrating. I cant even find chords...

RAGER

Dude still hasn't gotten back to me. :-\
No Focus Pocus

RacerX

Quote from: Chovie D on July 19, 2013, 03:22:06 PM

Does it help to think of C6 as an E-based barre chord at the 8th fret, with pinky down on the A-string 10th fret, "rock n roll" style?
Livin' The Life.

spookstrickland

Quote from: RAGER on July 19, 2013, 12:24:52 PM

Get it.  I have a VTX Head, Tube Power section and it has balls like nothing else and takes pedals great.
I'm beginning to think God was an Astronaut.
www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

Chovie D

Quote from: RacerX on July 19, 2013, 06:17:16 PM

Does it help to think of C6 as an E-based barre chord at the 8th fret, with pinky down on the A-string 10th fret, "rock n roll" style?

I dont know what you mean, but remember IM playing with a bar. to get difffernt chords I need to select differnt string groups, not frets.
majors (first three strings) and minors (rmaining three strings)are fine. its everything else i cannot find without looking up.
Its nice that i have a major and  a minor non slanted at every fret but everything else is gonna take some time to relearn.
the chord charts are shitloads of 7th and diminisheds, suspended etc.
Me being poor at theory aint helping either.

liquidsmoke

RacerX

Quote from: Chovie D on July 19, 2013, 06:50:01 PM
Quote from: RacerX on July 19, 2013, 06:17:16 PM

I dont know what you mean, but remember IM playing with a bar. to get difffernt chords I need to select differnt string groups, not frets.
majors (first three strings) and minors (rmaining three strings)are fine. its everything else i cannot find without looking up.
Its nice that i have a major and  a minor non slanted at every fret but everything else is gonna take some time to relearn.
the chord charts are shitloads of 7th and diminisheds, suspended etc.
Me being poor at theory aint helping either.

Well, good luck with it, dude.

I always thought of C6 as a Nashville country steel tuning, but I guess it is also the main one used in Hawaiian music. Either way, I have no experience with the tuning, just that one application of the 6th chord, so that's all I have to offer.
Livin' The Life.

liquidsmoke

I saw The Fine Constant tonight, wow. Anyone know what's going on with the frets on this guitar? I mean, I can see what's going on but I don't get it, the angles.

liquidsmoke

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fanned_Fret_Guitars

Okay now I get it but the pics of them are still tripping me out.

http://novaxguitars.com/sales/index.html

VOLVO)))

Fanned frets, for intonation in instruments specially made for different scales. Works wonders.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

lordfinesse

^ That pic makes my head hurt.
Billy Squier 24/7

liquidsmoke

Quote from: SunnO))) on July 21, 2013, 10:00:52 AM
Fanned frets, for intonation in instruments specially made for different scales. Works wonders.

Scales as in notes or scales as in longer neck scales for low notes and shorter neck scales for higher notes?

VOLVO)))

Yup, a lot of them are like... 27" low end, 24.75 high end. Tension is more even, intonation is perfect. It's mostly for shredders or people with really wicked ears. Rusty Cooley plays one.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

RAGER

Looks like something Michael hedges might have played.

Amyhoo. Went and checked oot that peavey. Hunk of shit with bad transistors methinks. Turns out I know the dude from way back.  Still has hi stupid hair band hair and lives in complete squalor. Didn't want to touch anything and couldn't get oot of there fast enough.
No Focus Pocus

Lumpy

Moved into a new practice space last week. The air conditioning is broken (during the heatwave, naturally) but management says they're "working on it". I met some other dudes down the hall tonight, who told me their AC has never worked, and it's been installed since May. (Every room has their own unit). So management must have screwed up by not going with central AC, and now they have 30 units to repair, instead of one big one. Or something.

Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

jibberish

Quote from: liquidsmoke on July 19, 2013, 06:05:27 PM

;D

haha. I always laugh at that cover pic. those red tights slay me.

but Sabbath is who should be in there for real. good call. and you can keep changing the pic heh.

vol 4 is a cool 2 color thing black and gold.