The Jam Room Blog Thread.

Started by Discö Rice, November 14, 2012, 07:10:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eddiefive10

Quote from: liquidsmoke on July 05, 2013, 05:20:08 PM
What do y'all think about when bands cover a song but the guitar player isn't good enough to play the leads note for note and/or the singer can't hit all the high notes?

If your going to do a cover why not make it your own interpretation? My last band did a cover of Those Poor Bastards "Crooked Man" we doomed the fuck out of that song sounded bad ass

Cursed71

Yeah.   Totally subjective.  Playing a cover "straight" and learning the solos note for note is cool and shows your skills as musicians, but on the other hand, making it your own is even better.   A straight up cover is more for cover bands.   Learn the song, then make it sound like you.  The crowd who knows it will appreciate it, and dig that your band put its signature on it.   As for vocals, it's even worse when a band does a cover and the singer changes the way they normally sing to suit the cover.

liquidsmoke

Good points. We don't have any new covers in the works but I've always thought it would be fun to do a Candlemass song although my vocals and guitar playing aren't anywhere near that level. We are however a power trio so I don't think anyone would expect too much. I sing The Ghoul lower rather than try to impersonate Bobby.

MichaelZodiac

"To fully experience music is to experience the true inner self of a human being" -Pøde Jamick

Nolan

bbottom

Quote from: MichaelZodiac on July 07, 2013, 07:30:40 AM
I want 215 basscabs.

They are usually pretty easy to come by on craigslist. You can usually pick up an old Peavey for like $50

MichaelZodiac

"To fully experience music is to experience the true inner self of a human being" -Pøde Jamick

Nolan

agent of change

Quote from: eddiefive10 on July 05, 2013, 06:16:49 PM
Quote from: liquidsmoke on July 05, 2013, 05:20:08 PM
What do y'all think about when bands cover a song but the guitar player isn't good enough to play the leads note for note and/or the singer can't hit all the high notes?

If your going to do a cover why not make it your own interpretation? My last band did a cover of Those Poor Bastards "Crooked Man" we doomed the fuck out of that song sounded bad ass

One of my last bands took Zep's "Kashmir" and slowed it down to half-time. It was so... fucking... heavy... and about 20 minutes long, so we cut the song in half. Favorite cover I've played, so far. Another vote for "make it yours."
We didn't come here for economic politics or religious bickering, we came to rock.

neighbor664

Make it yours, but make it yours as a creative move, not because you are too lazy to learn the original way.

dogfood

amen.  and on that note, recently was banding up with a bassist and a drummer, bassist brings some solid riffs to the table and both of them look at me side ways when I don't play guitar riffs to copy the bass lines note for note-accent for accent?!  I, for one, don't expect or even want the bassist to play my riffs note for note-accent for accent.  Somehow when writing a song these two GIANTS of song writing expect the guitars to parrot the bass line yet when a guitarist brings a riff to the table the bass line needs to compliment the drums.  Thus, the rythmn section.  right, yes, facepalm. for the love of god.  it only got more sane and stable from there...no not really.  I asked for a divorce.  not pretty.  too bad the songs could have been B+, maybe even A-.
Problem solving whiskey!

JemDooM

I like the idea of your low vocals on The Ghoul though! I'd slow it down, the leads are pretty simple for that song too, I'd wiggle them and make it all ugly and grim, slowed down it'd sound horrrrrrible! ;)

I had a 215 and it was so insanely heavy it tortured us every week, it wouldn't fit in our lock up so we had to carry it up and down 2 massive flights of stairs every practise, we had it up for sale for ages because no-one seemed to want it, it was a trace elliot and the speakers were spaced quite far apart so it was unusually big, awesome sound though, just keep trawling ebay and other sites ones gotta come up :)
DooM!

johnny problem

So i'm in the market for purchasing a cab for my Laney VC30.  If I go with the manufacturer's cabs, I can choose between a 2x10 cab or a 1x12.  I'm leaning more towards the 2x10 due to a possibility of more tonal options.  Was curious if any of you guys might have any insight.

Lumpy

Quote from: johnny problem on July 10, 2013, 07:24:03 PM
So i'm in the market for purchasing a cab for my Laney VC30.  If I go with the manufacturer's cabs, I can choose between a 2x10 cab or a 1x12.  I'm leaning more towards the 2x10 due to a possibility of more tonal options.  Was curious if any of you guys might have any insight.

For playing with others, or for home practice (or both).
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

johnny problem

It would be for both situations.  I'm also open to other cabs I could use, but somewhat overly paranoid/not understanding my amps configuration for supporting extension cabs.

bbottom

Quote from: dogfood on July 10, 2013, 12:09:55 AM
amen.  and on that note, recently was banding up with a bassist and a drummer, bassist brings some solid riffs to the table and both of them look at me side ways when I don't play guitar riffs to copy the bass lines note for note-accent for accent?!  I, for one, don't expect or even want the bassist to play my riffs note for note-accent for accent.  Somehow when writing a song these two GIANTS of song writing expect the guitars to parrot the bass line yet when a guitarist brings a riff to the table the bass line needs to compliment the drums.  Thus, the rythmn section.  right, yes, facepalm. for the love of god.  it only got more sane and stable from there...no not really.  I asked for a divorce.  not pretty.  too bad the songs could have been B+, maybe even A-.

Sometimes they should copy one another,especially in rock. Unless you're playing funk or jazz.

mortlock

it really depends on the level of the bassist. whether or not he can venture off on his own or if he has to follow a riff..

Lumpy

Quote from: johnny problem on July 10, 2013, 11:16:32 PM
It would be for both situations.  I'm also open to other cabs I could use, but somewhat overly paranoid/not understanding my amps configuration for supporting extension cabs.

On the back of the cab, there's often two jacks. If so, usually it means that one can be used as an input, and the other can be used to daisy chain to another cab. So even if your amp only has one output jack, it can theoretically drive multiple cabs. You have to see how many ohms the amp is rated for. Then pick your cabs accordingly. Two 8 ohm cabs = 4 ohm load on the amp. Two 4 ohm cabs = 2 ohm load on the amp. Figure out what your amp can handle, then go from there.

I would probably go with a 1x12, but you should get some other opinions. I'm not sure if I can give you a logical reason why.

Also, the kind of speakers make a difference, so keep that in mind.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

liquidsmoke

Quote from: JemDooM on July 10, 2013, 09:23:30 AM
I like the idea of your low vocals on The Ghoul though! I'd slow it down, the leads are pretty simple for that song too, I'd wiggle them and make it all ugly and grim, slowed down it'd sound horrrrrrible! ;)

We play it about Relentless speed although Death Row has done parts of it super slow and it works. The lead is like 3 notes and it is wiggled. Lately I've been playing the first half of the lead an octave down, power chords in the middle, and up to normal for the last portion.

RAGER

Just posted my Sunn 2000s on Portland CL.  I just don't ever use it anymore.  I've hung onto it solely because it's a rare bird.
No Focus Pocus

VOLVO)))

I just sold my wee-baby drum kit. roughly 180 bucks into it, sold for 260. Not bad.

Time to make another.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

RAGER

Was that the Gretsch?  If so that was nice.
No Focus Pocus

mortlock

MAXIMUMROCKNROLL #363 AUGUST 2013

one of my current bands..

Mr. Foxen

My mates Sonance http://sonance.bandcamp.com/ have set up a t-shirt shop here: http://sonance.spreadshirt.nl/

Anyone tried similar? Might do amp ones if it looks like enough sales to be worth.

liquidsmoke

Got the Scroll back. The neck warp is almost completely gone. The twist is still there a little bit but it's much more playable. Hopefully it won't wake up and remember how fucked up it was for what was probably a long time. A new nut and a Duncan Custom SH-5 have been installed. Tight bass response and smoother distortion, just what I was looking for. The low B string sounds much better with the slightly longer scale too. It's nice to be playing a half way decent guitar again that is capable of handling low action without tons of fret buzz! Love the double cut away design for easy access to the high frets too. Plus this thing looks awesome, like Gandalf made himself a baritone SG or something.

Jake

poop.