The Jam Room Blog Thread.

Started by Discö Rice, November 14, 2012, 07:10:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chovie D

Quote from: JemDooM on June 10, 2013, 07:31:25 PM
I played with a band (Black Mass, check em out really damn good) last night, they were using a tiny terror and it was seriously the loudest thing iv heard in a long time! Ears absolutely destroyed! Even louder than some guy who used 3 valve heads the night before, I wouldn't mind a tiny terror myself!

So I just played my first gigs in 10 years with a few shows around the country, was so anxious on the run up to it but it all went really well, I'm so relieved and psyched at the same time!

was it fun? if so , great job!

mortlock

instrumentation im using for the international noise conference shows..ill probably use it for summer scum in july as well. im keeping it basic..mini brute synth into a vintage dod death metal pedal..

JemDooM

Yeah looooads of fun Chovie better than I hoped! ;)

Absolutely gutted now though, just heard from our amp tech guy who we stopped off at on the way home with our 118, it's a total goner...

We lent our back line out to every band on the tour, and this one band on the second night started asking really stupid questions about ohmage as they were about to set up, they asked if they should set their head to 16ohm for our 2 x 8ohm cabs, apparently asked a couple of people the same thing, anyway they went on, took up 40 mins of a 5 band bill (with two headlining bands still to go) cocky as hell loads of messing about pointlessly between songs, actually asked to borrow another bands bass cos they bust a string before their last song, then their head and our bloody cab blew....

So anyway the cabs driver is gone, that's a few hundred I can't afford at the end if the month cos we'll need another one asap, that was the best cab I ever had....
DooM!

VOLVO)))

Exactly why nobody uses my shit at shows without me doing the cabling. I know what my amps and cabs are capable of, and i am very clear about that shit lol.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

JemDooM

Yeah that's the lesson learned! I just presumed that people should know this stuff, and be 100% sure if they're using someone else's gear!!

Has anyone replaced a driver before? Tech is quoting £250-300, can we DIY it? It'd be hard to find another cab exactly the same, that's the one I want...
DooM!

VOLVO)))

An 18, right? Your tech is a gouging cocksucker if it's as easy as replacing the driver. Did the cab have a horn, and a crossover?

What cab/model?

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

JemDooM

It's a trace elliot 118, 8ohm, can't tell which model all I know is its old, I don't know about the crossover, we have people who can help fix it but any advice would be much appreciated so we can do it right!
DooM!

VOLVO)))

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

JemDooM

Ours is an older model i think it's more of a perfectly square cube covered in black/green fuzz!
DooM!

VOLVO)))

Either way, an 18 is 150 + ship, so call it 170 USD. It takes 15 minutes to put one in.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

JemDooM

DooM!

liquidsmoke

Arg. That sucks. I lent a guy my head and one of my cabs 2 shows ago because his combo fell off his chair and broke before they started. He was acting like an idiot so I made sure to set everything up myself and watch their set closely.

Danny G

Yeah. If anyone uses my rig I set it up for them.

Sent from a can on some string using Tapatalk
The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com

Mr. Foxen

Quote from: JemDooM on June 11, 2013, 09:39:07 AM
It's a trace elliot 118, 8ohm, can't tell which model all I know is its old, I don't know about the crossover, we have people who can help fix it but any advice would be much appreciated so we can do it right!

Eminence OMEGA PRO-18A should work in that cab OK, they have reasonable top for an 18, can't say it will sound the same as the old one, trace used Celestions, but I know the driver works in bigish for bass cabs boxes, and has enough top for standalone not expecting lots of highs (that cba is being used by a reggae guy now, but he does slap sometimes, you can tell its slap).

JemDooM

Thanks for the tip, I'm thinking of going for a celestion though I feel the need, pretty much all of my cabs are celestion, it'll be costly but worth it I think, maybe that's why the tech has quoted so much? They're around £200, haven't spoken to him personally myself yet but I'm guessing he meant to replace the celestion then, we could buy & fit it ourselves to save money.... oh the stress....
DooM!

Mr. Foxen

Lumpy

Quote from: Mr. Foxen on June 11, 2013, 07:41:53 PM
Have you contacted Trace?

Good idea, you should find out what they recommend as a replacement.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

liquidsmoke

3 bands, first starts at 10:30, last has to be done by 1:30. 30-40 minute sets, 10:30, 11:30, 12:30, last band can play extra long if they have time.

Sound about right?

Lumpy

You're giving yourself 15 spare minutes in case something goes wrong/setup takes forever/etc. It could work, sure... personally, I would rather have the show start and end sooner. IMO, the last band goes on at 12:00 or even earlier. But I'm old and cranky.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

JemDooM

Id start it at 10pm to allow for any hold ups, it'd make it more chilled...

Emailed Trace and spoke to the tech, the celestions im looking at are for pa not bass. The speaker in the trace was custom made 13 years ago, pretty much impossible to replace unless iv got mega bucks to have another custom made, they don't make celestion bass 18s anymore and they're rare to find now. He would be putting in an OMEGA PRO, asked what the budget is and said he'll call back.

for how much this is gonna cost I could buy another trace cab second hand, they go for £100-£200 anyway I don't think they're overly popular because of their size and weight, only problem is finding one for sale right away...
DooM!

JemDooM

update on the cab saga, the tech got back, the speaker is £180 + priority shipping on top, iv had a look around online that's right, he's gonna charge £235, the cab needs some woodwork done for the new speaker. I'm happy with that, iv been going to him for years and trust him, just looking forward to getting it back alive and well!
DooM!

Jake

Is the old 18" speaker totally shot and not salvageable at all? What exactly happens when the wrong impedance is run into it to break it? Cooked voice coil or something?
poop.

JemDooM

It's totally shot irreparable yeah, I guess something cooked yeah. They either ran the wrong impedance or they plugged into the link instead of the input. I'm wondering if the 15" is damaged too and just didn't fully blow, if its all set up wrong surely that'd damage the other cab too...
DooM!

Omlet

Instead of practicing / playing some new riffs for the Cockroach Kingdom, I recorded one really shitty, Striborg-style industrial black metal track and one dark ambient / industrial / experimental one. If you're interested you can find 'em on my netlabel's YT channel.

Instant Dan

Good to hear, Jem.

I just saw Rager's demo of his OR120, GAS.