The Jam Room Blog Thread.

Started by Discö Rice, November 14, 2012, 07:10:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jibberish

these $10 sony mdr-wo8 headphones scared me. man do they sound good and you quickly forget you have thm on. unbelievable for casual listening.  glad I found them in my junk collection.  I hate earbuds. fuck those.  I need to make a nice delicate little headphone extension cord now.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_kw=Sony+MDR+W08L+W08+Headphone

liquidsmoke

Are Epi G-400 SGs neck heavy?

If they aren't I want a Korean one in sunburst or "worn" for E standard rock.

liquidsmoke

My Epi Scroll came with a zebra humbucker in the bridge position that says SONEX-180 DELUXE 234957 on the back. After some Googling believe it's a Gibson Velvet Brick because it has 3 mounts. It sounded quite good, not as bassy as I like but crunchy enough through my dirt pedal and smooth but it would feedback way too much, to the point where I had to adjust out too much crunch(treble) using the tone knob or set my noise gate too high to get the feedback to stop. In comparison, my Epi LP Special II with Duncan Invaders sounded like a fucking trash can. So what do I do? Have the Invaders put into my Scroll of course because I thought they would sound smoother in a higher quality longer scale guitar. Well they do, a little bit, but they also sound like a trash can in that guitar too. If I do anything to try to remedy this trashy shit sound, like adjust the tone knob, I lose the cutting crunch that I need. Fail. Even the Super Distortion in my Epi LP Junior Special sounds like shit in comparison to that Gibson pup.(another idea is to quit buying cheap shitty guitars, I agree and I've started on that)

Anyone have bridge pickup recommendations for me? I tune down to B and use loads of crunchy high gain distortion(more metal metal than sludge) but I also need a pup that doesn't make my rig sound like a plugged in trash can.

Omlet

Bare Knuckle Nailbombs (Alnico V ones, calibrated set). They are pretty universal - i use bridge one for my black metal riffs and neck one for saturated sludgy / doomy riffage. Also, they can be coil splitted.

Unfortunately they are rather pricey.

liquidsmoke

I only ever use the bridge pup so pricey is okay for the right one. I'll read about that one.

Got the Elixir Nanoweb strings on. They have a somewhat muffled sound to me but they do make sliding around easier, reduce finger noise a bit, and take the edge off the garbage can Invader tone.

Also, the finish on my Scroll is butter soft as I accidently found out today when my screwdriver slipped.

Omlet

I recorded about seven-eight riffs during last two days but I'm not very satisfied with them (but - obviously - i can use them as the base for something better).

Also, I'm still tinkering with the logo for my project. And it's still far from being perfect:

VOLVO)))

Those high output pickups are what gives you the gross trashcan tone.

I use mid output, and play hard.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

liquidsmoke

Quote from: SunnO))) on June 06, 2013, 08:27:54 PM

It's kind of sad that it took me so long to figure this out. What would you use for high gain low tuned metal metal?

mortlock

Quote from: Omlet on June 06, 2013, 07:38:28 PM
I recorded about seven-eight riffs during last two days but I'm not very satisfied with them (but - obviously - i can use them as the base for something better).

Also, I'm still tinkering with the logo for my project. And it's still far from being perfect:

cool name..the 'k' looks like an 'r' and im not sure I like the sideways st. vitus 'v'..in a way its cool though but I could see it becoming something you could potentially regret in the long run..

VOLVO)))

Quote from: liquidsmoke on June 06, 2013, 08:47:39 PM
Quote from: SunnO))) on June 06, 2013, 08:27:54 PM

It's kind of sad that it took me so long to figure this out. What would you use for high gain low tuned metal metal?

Super D's.  ;D

or go active.

http://www.guitarfetish.com/REDactive-Humbucker-Active-Bridge-position-Black-_p_6670.html

I don't go active because I don't dig the look, but honestly? I play a Boogie most of the time, with a Catilinbread SCOD on the clean channel, just slamming the preamp. My tone isn't saturated, it's tight and clean, but has sustain and bite. Less gain was my friend, seriously.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

liquidsmoke

The price is right on those actives but I'm not ready to give up on passives. Kinda thinking that it would be hard to go wrong with a beefy and somewhat hot PAF style pup. It can't feedback too much though.

I wish I could back off the distortion and volume but I can't.

liquidsmoke

http://www.guitarfetish.com/Humbucker-Sized-Guitar-Pickups_c_26.html

Their Fat Pat, Crunchy Pat, and Dream 180 all sound promising. And the price is right.

Omlet

About pickups, also 500T or BKP Warpig. But, to be honest, i never cared about pickups. I was able to achieve (relatively) good tone with cheap Wilkinson PAF copies and old Ibanez V5 pickups. Only problems i had with PAF was during fast tremolo picking (two strings at once) but probably it was because my shitty guitar skills, not because of pickup i used.

Now i am BKP fanboy because they installed their pickups in my Skervesen guitar (funny thing is that in Polish this name can be translated as slightly altered "son of a whore") and it absolutely rocks :D

Quote from: mortlock on June 06, 2013, 09:27:38 PM

cool name..the 'k' looks like an 'r' and im not sure I like the sideways st. vitus 'v'..in a way its cool though but I could see it becoming something you could potentially regret in the long run..
Why? Because of style changes? I am aware of it and I'm not afraid of changing logo in the future :D Also, in most medieval-ish fonts R is similar to modern K. But thanks for your comments - I'll try to alter it (if i can find enough motivation to do it).

liquidsmoke

Quote from: Omlet on June 07, 2013, 03:57:16 AM
About pickups, also 500T or BKP Warpig. But, to be honest, i never cared about pickups. I was able to achieve (relatively) good tone with cheap Wilkinson PAF copies and old Ibanez V5 pickups. Only problems i had with PAF was during fast tremolo picking (two strings at once) but probably it was because my shitty guitar skills, not because of pickup i used.

Now i am BKP fanboy because they installed their pickups in my Skervesen guitar (funny thing is that in Polish this name can be translated as slightly altered "son of a whore") and it absolutely rocks :D

Can you describe the tremolo picking issues you had with PAF pickups?

Omlet

While tremolo picking on two strings at the same time it sounded like 1/8th notes, not like 1/16th ones.

But as I said - in 90% it was because the wrong picking technique but I can't be 100% sure because I switched guitars AND my technique improved (I'm not a very good guitar player :D).

eyeprod

I say, run whatever and focus on the music. Gear won't necessarily make you a better player and it certainly has little effect on writing good music. in other words, shut up and play yer guitar.
CV - Slender Fungus

Jake

Speaking of band logos, I know they're sorta unnecessary, but they're kind of fun to have. Here's a few looks i did for a new band I'm in. Some of you may notice the Lebowski reference.

poop.

mortlock

Quote from: Omlet on June 07, 2013, 03:57:16 AM

Quote from: mortlock on June 06, 2013, 09:27:38 PM

Why? Because of style changes? I am aware of it and I'm not afraid of changing logo in the future :D Also, in most medieval-ish fonts R is similar to modern K. But thanks for your comments - I'll try to alter it (if i can find enough motivation to do it).
don't do it on my behalf. im just throwing my drunken, stoned 2 cents around..

liquidsmoke

Quote from: Omlet on June 07, 2013, 05:16:25 PM
While tremolo picking on two strings at the same time it sounded like 1/8th notes, not like 1/16th ones.

But as I said - in 90% it was because the wrong picking technique but I can't be 100% sure because I switched guitars AND my technique improved (I'm not a very good guitar player :D).

Ah. I think some death metal bands do that.

liquidsmoke

We played with Vega and Red Desert tonight at the Cactus Club in Milwaukee. Both bands killed, mega heavy stoner type stuff. Our first out of town show. I saw Witchcraft play that stage twice years back so it felt awesome.

Instant Dan

I think I am going to pick up an Orange Tiny Terror :-[

VOLVO)))

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Danny G

Bringing in a bass player for Ocean of Stars for rehearsal on Tuesday.

Guy is stupid fucking good on bass and has been playing with the drummer in various projects over the years.

Will report back on what happens. \m/,

Sent from a can on some string using Tapatalk
The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com

Omlet

My friend has cancelled our tomorrow jam. It sucks because probably it was my last chance to play some music with someone, not solo.
Ehh, fuck it.

JemDooM

I played with a band (Black Mass, check em out really damn good) last night, they were using a tiny terror and it was seriously the loudest thing iv heard in a long time! Ears absolutely destroyed! Even louder than some guy who used 3 valve heads the night before, I wouldn't mind a tiny terror myself!

So I just played my first gigs in 10 years with a few shows around the country, was so anxious on the run up to it but it all went really well, I'm so relieved and psyched at the same time!
DooM!