The Jam Room Blog Thread.

Started by Discö Rice, November 14, 2012, 07:10:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VOLVO)))

It isn't a wound G, is it? Wound G is the worst thing to ever happen to lead playing. Takes all of your bendy tricks away.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

The Shocker

Quote from: SunnO))) on May 29, 2013, 11:07:47 AM
It isn't a wound G, is it? Wound G is the worst thing to ever happen to lead playing. Takes all of your bendy tricks away.

liquidsmoke

Sounds like the nut slot is worn down too low.

Chovie D

Quote from: JemDooM on May 29, 2013, 09:36:12 AM
speaking of strings and fingers and authoritive grips, I have a problem I need help with...

whats the problem if a string starts crapping out on you? I'm practising all my leads noticing that my 4th string is having none of it, no sustain, no ringing out, the whole guitar was restrung a few weeks ago, i'm playing live soon so have practised my lead parts around avoiding that string just in case though I'll take my guitar to the tech on Saturday, Iv examined the string from the machine head, to nut to bridge and there doesn't seem to be anything wrong that I can see, will the tech guy know what it is, is it something common?

you say restrung, by whom? If it was by a guitar tech you should take it back and have them set it up correctly.

if its you and its juts crapping out, it might be at the nut. try wedging a little bit of paper under the string at the nut to lift it off the neck ever so slightly.
Ive got an sg like this. the perma fix is either a new nut or filling the nut slot with nail polish and filing it back down. neither of which Id try on my own with a 72 SG, so the guitar has had a little peice of paper under one of its strings for a couple years now  ;)

liquidsmoke

Just ordered some oversized strap buttons for my Epi Scroll. People who move the neck button tend to put it on the end of the scroll but I could also try it on the back of the scroll. My strap would hug my chest and shoulder better that way and it would probably be just as effective at reducing neck dive. Anyone have thoughts on this?

RacerX

Quote from: liquidsmoke on May 29, 2013, 12:56:00 PM
Just ordered some oversized strap buttons for my Epi Scroll. People who move the neck button tend to put it on the end of the scroll but I could also try it on the back of the scroll. My strap would hug my chest and shoulder better that way and it would probably be just as effective at reducing neck dive. Anyone have thoughts on this?

Don't. It's a rare, vintage guitar.
Livin' The Life.

liquidsmoke

Quote from: RacerX on May 29, 2013, 01:20:18 PM
Quote from: liquidsmoke on May 29, 2013, 12:56:00 PM

Don't. It's a rare, vintage guitar.

Don't move it at all? Right now it feels like a longer neck heavy SG when I let go of it and I hate that. The neck plate is a horrible placement for a strap button. While playing it's fine but sometimes I have to mess with vocal shit(or whatever else) on stage and having both hands free without my guitar floundering around and sagging is nice.

Mr. Foxen

Quote from: Chovie D on May 29, 2013, 12:51:22 PM
Ive got an sg like this. the perma fix is either a new nut or filling the nut slot with nail polish and filing it back down. neither of which Id try on my own with a 72 SG, so the guitar has had a little peice of paper under one of its strings for a couple years now  ;)

Best non replacing nut fix is clean out the slot, get some bone, like another nut/offcut and file dust into the slot, then drop superglue onto that, it soaks into the dust and binds it nice and solid, then you can file it back.

Chovie D

Quote from: Mr. Foxen on May 29, 2013, 01:53:47 PM
Quote from: Chovie D on May 29, 2013, 12:51:22 PM

Best non replacing nut fix is clean out the slot, get some bone, like another nut/offcut and file dust into the slot, then drop superglue onto that, it soaks into the dust and binds it nice and solid, then you can file it back.

right, I forgot about that one. you see why I dont trust myself to work on my own guitars?  :D

VOLVO)))

Professional guitar tech (me) has little slips of paper on four of his guitars.

LS, Play a neckthru BC Rich mockingbird for a while, then you can talk about neck dive. :-D

RaverXXX420yolo knows what I mean.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Discö Rice

So my drums are piled up in my apartment for now, thanks to a lot of bullshit and loads of help from the amazing Lumpy. Seriously, man - you're awesome and I owe you big time. Maybe it's for the best for the next couple of months. I have a lot going on and I don't particularly need the hassle/drain on my limited finances that is being in a band at the moment. Nevermind that I haven't found anyone that's interested... So anyway.. yeah. That happened.
Somebody's gonna eat my pussy or I'm gonna cut your fucking throat.

Chovie D

Quote from: Discö Rice on May 29, 2013, 02:38:12 PM
So my drums are piled up in my apartment for now, thanks to a lot of bullshit and loads of help from the amazing Lumpy. Seriously, man - you're awesome and I owe you big time. Maybe it's for the best for the next couple of months. I have a lot going on and I don't particularly need the hassle/drain on my limited finances that is being in a band at the moment. Nevermind that I haven't found anyone that's interested... So anyway.. yeah. That happened.

now that you have stopped looking for a band, you will find one tomorrow. ;)

Discö Rice

Heh. That sounds about right.

Discö Rice

Update: Re-posted my ad for shits and giggles, got three responses in two hours. One of them even seems legit!

Chovie D

Discö Rice

dogfood

Back in the day everyone I asked said this shit was graphite and would soak into your neck and dampen/deaden the wood.

Quote from: RacerX on May 28, 2013, 01:54:13 PM
I don't really care about string noise myself, but if I did, I might try this crap:

Problem solving whiskey!

RacerX

Prolly catch a buzz off it, too.
Livin' The Life.

jibberish

..greasy fingers, smearing shabby clothes...

get string cleaner/polish

disco, if you are still sitting tight, I feel an impending score!, but everything takes so fucking long when it doesn't have to.
regardless, pm's coming soon in spite of the logistics fails.

liquid, I think I know where the missing danzig is.
my 5 disk changer, one day just got stupid, and I changed cables to the big changer to keep listening to something. I don't believe I ever pulled the other 4 cd's......

is anyone interested in making a music video for a cover of lunatic fringe? is anyone interested in helping maybe with drums or bass or a slide guitar part on the cover itself?.  this song will be somehow heavied up and could easily support a longer heavier slide soloing.

there! bzns all cleaned up lol

Discö Rice

So I got responses from 7 people, two of them looked very good. The guy I'm really digging is the guitar player in this band.

http://alkahest.bandcamp.com/album/churning-the-ocean

The other guy is into Converge and Coalesce and t'ings o' dat sort.

Things are looking up for Discö.  8)

mortlock

if anyone is looking for someone who can make/dub 8-tracks, I have a friend who can do it. he just made a small batch for my band..limited to 5 copies. its the real deal. they kick ass.

mortlock

for those of you that think 8-tracks are obsolete..i give you this..

mortlock

and this..

id kill to have those in the collection..

xayk

The 8 track posts just blew my mind a little. Awesome.

Lumpy

How many minutes per track? In other words, what is the time limit/format or whatever?
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.