The Jam Room Blog Thread.

Started by Discö Rice, November 14, 2012, 07:10:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VOLVO)))

Lol those techs are glum. No comment.  Send it back.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

liquidsmoke

Quote from: SunnO))) on May 24, 2013, 05:13:33 PM
Lol those techs are glum. No comment.  Send it back.

Talk to me man. Are you saying you could fix the neck? For cheap? How would you fix it?

I just measured and it's 25-1/2 scale which would be better than my Epi Paul for B tuning. Despite the chips in the body I want to keep this thing but I need to know that it's fixable without spending tons of money. I need to decide quick if I'm going to tell the seller I want a refund.

RacerX

I've never used this service, so "let the buyer beware," but fyi: http://www.warpedneck.com
Livin' The Life.

liquidsmoke

Quote from: RacerX on May 24, 2013, 08:27:13 PM
I've never used this service, so "let the buyer beware," but fyi: http://www.warpedneck.com

$75 sounds reasonable. I'm starting to get my hopes up.  http://www.warpedneck.com/terms.html

liquidsmoke

I'm going to chance it with that place or Sunn if he's interested. Trying to get a partial refund from the seller to offset some of the cost of the needed work.

Will probably leave the stock pup in the neck but that black n tan bridge has to go. I want something that's very hot and heavy to cut for metal but will also let some of the natural flavor come through. Have Duncan Invaders on my Epi special and like them but I'm not sure if they allow a guitar's flavor to come through much. I use a fuck load of distortion however so that probably nullifies most flavor beyond the most broad characteristics. ;D

liquidsmoke

Put on a set of 13-56 for B tonight and without even adjusting the action it's sounding good despite the neck twist. The longer scale provides more clarity on the B string even with a 56. Still need to play it at full volume but I'm pretty sure this axe is going to work out. Will most likely use it at the gig next Friday and immediately after send the neck off for untwisting and then have the rest of the needed work done. God damn it feels good to be own a gangsta wizard.  8)

liquidsmoke

Holy crap, they made a scroll bass too.

VOLVO)))

Yeah, and you will never see one. I've been trying to put my grubby mitts onto one for YEARS and haven't laid eyes let alone hands on one. Ugh.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

liquidsmoke

This is probably the wrong forum for such an inquiry but I'm sick of finger slide noise/squeak coming through my amp while moving up and down strings. If I EQ most of it out(guitar tone knob, pedal or amp knob tweaking) I lose a lot of the crunch that I need for the tone I'm going for. Maintaining full fret contact or no contact with the strings(depending the song part) while moving around on the neck seems to be the extent of the technique that helps. I'm talking in particular about moving up and down the neck on strings, not switching strings. Them damn thick string winds catch on the skin. Arg. As much as I like the darker tone knob on 0 sound it doesn't fit my current band as well as a more metallic crunch.

I,Galactus

"Why don't you take a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut? Why don't you take a flying fuck at the mooooooooooooon?"

Chovie D

firdst time I was ever in a r3ecording studio the engineer tried to get me to not make those finger squeaks. I was like 14 or 15 and it drove me nuts.

I never thought about trying to eliminate them again. I just accepted it as part of the instrument.
Then I began to notice it on alot of records and figured others did too.

liquidsmoke

liquidsmoke

Quote from: Chovie D on May 28, 2013, 01:32:42 PM
firdst time I was ever in a r3ecording studio the engineer tried to get me to not make those finger squeaks. I was like 14 or 15 and it drove me nuts.

I never thought about trying to eliminate them again. I just accepted it as part of the instrument.
Then I began to notice it on alot of records and figured others did too.

In recent years I've switched to a brighter more crunchy tone and have yet to accept finger squeaks. I don't notice it on albums much, perhaps I'm just not listening for it. I hate it.

RacerX

I don't really care about string noise myself, but if I did, I might try this crap:

Livin' The Life.

VOLVO)))

LS, We play similar string gauge. Once your calluses build up, it becomes minimal.

Also, you need to have an authoritative grip. I play a lot of Napalm Death slidey shit, and no string squeaks.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

neighbor664

Finger squeaks are evidence that an actual human is playing.
Try to keep them to a minimum but don't  kill yourself trying to eliminate each and every one.
Be grateful you are not a robot.

VOLVO)))

Dial back some treble and swing in some mids.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Mr. Foxen

Use Elixir strings. I use them on my bass since I got chordy and need lots of top. Annoying they don't come as heavy as I prefer, but the never needing to change them (until you lend your bass to a pick player) is cool.

liquidsmoke

I'll consider all of this. I don't quite play with my fingertips so my calluses don't develop as much as they do for some. Playing with the fingertips requires more bend in the wrist and my wrist can't handle such a bend for 2 hours at a time. I have found that a harder grip when sliding helps reduce the noise but only so much. I try to avoid contact with flammable chemicals when possible but that Finger Ease stuff looks promising.

liquidsmoke

Quote from: Mr. Foxen on May 28, 2013, 08:50:27 PM
Use Elixir strings. I use them on my bass since I got chordy and need lots of top. Annoying they don't come as heavy as I prefer, but the never needing to change them (until you lend your bass to a pick player) is cool.

They make a 7 string set that is exactly the gauge I'm currently using. Will try ASAP. Thank you.

JemDooM

speaking of strings and fingers and authoritive grips, I have a problem I need help with...

whats the problem if a string starts crapping out on you? I'm practising all my leads noticing that my 4th string is having none of it, no sustain, no ringing out, the whole guitar was restrung a few weeks ago, i'm playing live soon so have practised my lead parts around avoiding that string just in case though I'll take my guitar to the tech on Saturday, Iv examined the string from the machine head, to nut to bridge and there doesn't seem to be anything wrong that I can see, will the tech guy know what it is, is it something common?

DooM!

Mr. Foxen

Really heavy plain Gs seem to sometimes sound duff. Sort of wonder if its a nut profile issue, as the plain won't wear its groove so much and its low enough to matter. There's loads of physics to it: http://www.edgeguitarservices.co.uk/rout_serv/nut_geom.htm

JemDooM

Yeah there is certainly loads of physics to it! I suspect its the nut too, I cant see any obvious problem but I also don't really know what I'm looking for, the nuts on this guitar are a mess though, the guy I go to mentioned last time he was giving it back that he'd fix the nut up properly some day so maybe that's it...
DooM!