The Jam Room Blog Thread.

Started by Discö Rice, November 14, 2012, 07:10:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chovie D

alot of peeps get injured when switching to bass becauase of the string gauge change. you got a weakened paw already?? so maybe stretch out alot? dont overdo practices?
have fun

RacerX

Quote from: Chovie D on May 21, 2013, 03:56:52 PM
alot of peeps get injured when switching to bass becauase of the string gauge change. you got a weakened paw already?? so maybe stretch out alot? dont overdo practices?
have fun

Thanks for the warning; hadn't thought of that. I'll try to ease into it. Hopefully dude'll let me bring the bass home so I can develop some skills.
Livin' The Life.

Chovie D

you should buy yourself a cheap bass anyway right? used fender squire pbass?

RacerX

That'll have to go to the end of "The List." I need to at least get a soundhole pickup and replace 2 sets of machine heads before I can even think about that.
Livin' The Life.

RAGER

Quote from: Chovie D on May 21, 2013, 03:56:52 PM
have fun

First hand knowledge of this.  I played bass in a pretty heavy/popish band for about a year.  I play with my guitar fairly slung low and am ok with that.  I know it ain't cool looking to play the chin bass but make sure you're comfortable.  Form over fashion.  I had to bring my bass up a bit a grin and bear it.  I might have looked a bit goofy but when I quit the new guy couldn't play much of my bass lines.  Good luck and have fun.
No Focus Pocus

VOLVO)))

Quote from: RacerX on May 21, 2013, 04:17:31 PM
That'll have to go to the end of "The List." I need to at least get a soundhole pickup and replace 2 sets of machine heads before I can even think about that.

Machine heads on what? I can get Grovers wholesale.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

RacerX

I need some 3 on a side heavy duty ones for the lap steel (gotta accept .075 on the low e c string, and the string tension is quite high, which is what destroyed the originals) and a set of 12-string ones for slotted headstock on the Yamaha. Those are gonna be the hard ones to find because the spacing is funky. May have to pull the old ones, fill in the slots & drill/mount new, solid headstock style ones.
Livin' The Life.

VOLVO)))

Quote from: RacerX on May 21, 2013, 05:19:12 PMI need some 3 on a side heavy duty ones for the lap steel (gotta accept .075 on the low e c string, and the string tension is quite high, which is what destroyed the originals) and a set of 12-string ones for slotted headstock on the Yamaha. Those are gonna be the hard ones to find because the spacing is funky. May have to pull the old ones, fill in the slots & drill/mount new, solid headstock style ones.

Grovers are heavy duty. You can try two sets of 6 on 1 side for the Yamaha.

Protip: cut your. 75 string long, then unwind the extra bit to thread into the tuner post. They're wound in layers for bulk. Wholesale grovers are sub 40$.

edit: they're Grover mini rotomatics.
You can get Super Rotos for the steel and be out roughly 58 bucks before shipping.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

RacerX

Thanks, dude. Budgeting the $$ is my biggest problem.

These days, finding a spare $40 is really tough for me.
Livin' The Life.

VOLVO)))

Yep, lemme know whatchya want to do.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

liquidsmoke

Here ya go Sunn- http://www.ebay.com/itm/Epiphone-Scroll-SC-550-Set-Neck-Block-Inlays-HSC-/190844419149?pt=Guitar&hash=item2c6f36bc4d

My bolt neck mahogany one came today. Can't play it plugged in until tomorrow. Not in perfect shape but it looks awesome although the neck seems a bit tweaked, going to have it looked at by a pro ASAP. Pretty light and the neck is fast. A bit neck heavy.

RacerX

Sounds likely you'll have to replace most of the electronics. Hopefully the neck's not too bad.

I think I'll stick to my decision to never purchase a guitar I haven't played unless it's a crazy good deal and/or from a trusted friend.
Livin' The Life.

Danny G

My 79 Iceman was an EBay deal, and too good to pass up. Even if it was a shitty guitar I probably could have sold it and not lost money.

But holy shitballs, it's still my main guitar.

I don't know if I'd do that again, but you can get lucky.

Sent from a can on some string using Tapatalk
The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com

I,Galactus

Yeah I got lucky on a ebay purchase with my ibanez, so now I'm scared to try my luck again.  Might've used up all my karma.  :D
"Why don't you take a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut? Why don't you take a flying fuck at the mooooooooooooon?"

VOLVO)))

Smotenized for Ibanez

/jacksonbcrichfanboi

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

liquidsmoke

Quote from: RacerX on May 23, 2013, 01:02:54 PM
Sounds likely you'll have to replace most of the electronics. Hopefully the neck's not too bad.

I think I'll stick to my decision to never purchase a guitar I haven't played unless it's a crazy good deal and/or from a trusted friend.

I just meant that I didn't have my amp set up/didn't have enough time to play it plugged in last night. Getting the neck looked at tomorrow. I'm going to mess with the truss rod in a minute and see what I can do myself first. I really want the thing to work out because they are hard to find and it looks awesome. I think the neck pup is stock, single coil under a chrome humbucker cover, might keep it in although it's super low output. There is some sort of black and tan hum in the bridge position which might actually work out but I'd like to know what it is. Both pups together sound fucked up but I only use the bridge one for the Mercian stuff on my cheapie LP right now anyway.

edit: made some adjustments all around. The neck is looking pretty good now and the twist is very slight. The nut holds the strings fine but almost looks ready to crumble. Overall the guitar is missing a couple of tiny screws and a pup screw and 2 of the neck screws don't look stock but it plays well in E and D standard so far. If the local tech tomorrow says the neck issue is minor to the point of being a non-issue this is going to be my main axe and will get thicker strings for B tuning. Once in awhile someone will probably incorrectly pronounce Radagast as "Prince" and zero fucks will be given.

RacerX

I was referring to : "The switch is intermittent in the neck pickup position but has been getting better over the past few months of use (this guitar had not been played in quite some time when I bought it- I have played it a lot). The switch works first try about 80% of the time now, but sometimes you have to toggle it a couple times; I have not replaced any of the electronics out of respect for the originality of the guitar and, unlike the tuners, there's no going back once you've started modding electronics."
Livin' The Life.

liquidsmoke

Ah in the 550 listing. I didn't read that far when I posted that link.

RacerX

Oh, I thought that was the one you had bought. *scratches head*

Well, good that the neck's not a major issue.
Livin' The Life.

liquidsmoke

My post was probably confusing. I got the SC-350 which is mahogany with a bolt-on neck. And $400, not $1500 or whatever.

RacerX

Yeah, I was thinking you were badly snookered on that $1500 "deal."

$400 is much better. Plus, even if the neck is shit, it can be easily removed & repaired/replaced.
Livin' The Life.

liquidsmoke

I posted the SC-550 link because Sunn had previously mentioned wanted one.

Does anyone make a replacement neck for that guitar? I'm not that familiar with oddball Gibsons and Epiphones but I don't know of any other bolt on models they made with 24 fret necks so I'd be surprised if an exact fit could be found in the aftermarket world.

RacerX

I'd assume Warmoth would have something that would fit.

You could also have the original neck steam/pressure straightened.
Livin' The Life.

liquidsmoke

liquidsmoke

Both Greg and Sid at Greg's here said the neck is twisted and basically inoperable. Doesn't look like Warmoth has a 24 fret neck that looks similar and would fit. This thing is going back to the seller.  :'(  Sid said he's never actually seen one of these in person and he has been in the business for 30+ years and playing for longer.