The Jam Room Blog Thread.

Started by Discö Rice, November 14, 2012, 07:10:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VOLVO)))

SunnO))) gets robed for every show? Can't be that bad...

Sorry, I am not much help. Im trying to add levity? I suck. Ill be quiet.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

JemDooM

I have repetitive strain injury in my hand because of my new tremolo picking song, its been throbbing painfully all day and the other day argh ~.~
DooM!

VOLVO)))

I'm in a black metal band. Welcome to that world, sistah. Malmsteen has tendinitis so bad that he used to have to soak his hands in cold water, then dunk them in hot water between every song. You gotta work different muscle groups for speed picking, I alternate between elbow, wrist and fingers. elbow gets tired the fastest, wrist is the fastest speedwise, and fingers can go for longer because of small muscle groups.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

JemDooM

Yeah totally didnt see it coming, I can feel the exact point on the bony bit at the base of my thumb that meets my wrist its hot and everything, I see im really gonna have to start practising different techniques...

QuoteMalmsteen has tendinitis so bad that he used to have to soak his hands in cold water, then dunk them in hot water between every song.

That sounds really painful, good on him for carrying on, wow :o
DooM!

VOLVO)))

Thicker picks will be your friend if there's a lot of trem picking in your future. promise.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

eyeprod

Is it fun to play? This black metal? I would hope that it is. Playing like yngwie doesn't seem fun. There should be rewards if you're fucking up your hands.
CV - Slender Fungus

VOLVO)))

Quote from: eyeprod on March 27, 2013, 06:47:02 PM
Is it fun to play? This black metal? I would hope that it is. Playing like yngwie doesn't seem fun. There should be rewards if you're fucking up your hands.

It really is, I joined the band on the 10th, and played a show with them on the 20th. I've been playing metal for my entire guitar playing career, but never in a legit metal band. Always punk, hardcore or doom. It's a lot of fun. I get to break out all of the crazy sweep picking and trem wankery I want... I love it.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

JemDooM

turns out theres more than one kind of wankery that kills your wrists eh,...

Iv been using a soft plec but a few months ago I got an Obituary plec from Trevor at a live show and was surprised at how thick it was, iv been meaning to get thicker plecs since, and according to the youtubes im definetly doing it wrong....
DooM!

justinhedrick

Quote from: SunnO))) on March 27, 2013, 07:12:12 PM

It really is, I joined the band on the 10th, and played a show with them on the 20th. I've been playing metal for my entire guitar playing career, but never in a legit metal band. Always punk, hardcore or doom. It's a lot of fun. I get to break out all of the crazy sweep picking and trem wankery I want... I love it.

how was the show, jake?

VOLVO)))

Quote from: justinhedrick on March 27, 2013, 09:37:43 PM

how was the show, jake?

Rough but fun!

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

justinhedrick

Quote from: SunnO))) on March 28, 2013, 01:13:55 AM
Quote from: justinhedrick on March 27, 2013, 09:37:43 PM

how was the show, jake?

awesome. you guys have any music with you playing on it?

Rough but fun!

RAGER

Going a little nuts here.  My girl and I just shacked up and all my gear is packed up for the time being.  Her brother and his wife will be here one more month and then it will be just us.  This whole thing tries my patience greatly but it's good for me.  But back to my point.  My gear has been packed up for the last 2 months.  I NEED to play my drums.  I have an amp rig up in the bedroom but I feel like I'm imposing if I turn that shit on if anybody else is home cuz you know how tube amps are.  The louder the better.  I can't wait to crank up the Marshall or the Orange. 

But I GOTTA at least find a corner where I can set up a snare, high hat, and kick to kinda keep in practice

So all my shit actually fits in a 10x12 room which surprises me.
No Focus Pocus

justinhedrick

Quote from: RAGER on March 28, 2013, 11:31:47 AM
Going a little nuts here.  My girl and I just shacked up and all my gear is packed up for the time being.  Her brother and his wife will be here one more month and then it will be just us.  This whole thing tries my patience greatly but it's good for me.  But back to my point.  My gear has been packed up for the last 2 months.  I NEED to play my drums.  I have an amp rig up in the bedroom but I feel like I'm imposing if I turn that shit on if anybody else is home cuz you know how tube amps are.  The louder the better.  I can't wait to crank up the Marshall or the Orange. 

But I GOTTA at least find a corner where I can set up a snare, high hat, and kick to kinda keep in practice

So all my shit actually fits in a 10x12 room which surprises me.

you HAVE to make time/space for yourself. if not, you will go crazy. please see "The Shining" for proof of this.

RAGER

I've resorted to watching youtube videos of myself playing drums to remind myself that I can actually kinda play the drums :D.  derp
No Focus Pocus

JemDooM

Quoteyou HAVE to make time/space for yourself. if not, you will go crazy. please see "The Shining" for proof of this.

This is so true!

Aren't there some practise rooms nearby? You could drive your stuff down for a day/night?
DooM!

Worthless Willie

"I'm curious though as to why you seemed to have more favorable things to say about the people that robbed you than the cops? That struck me as being really weird"

Probably because the criminals were actually good at their jobs.  ??
What happens between me and Steve Vegas and him and my wife and me and his goat is our own goddam business. Butt the fuck out. - Jeff Smith

RacerX

Livin' The Life.

RAGER

Quote from: JemDooM on March 28, 2013, 02:34:00 PM
Quoteyou HAVE to make time/space for yourself. if not, you will go crazy. please see "The Shining" for proof of this.

This is so true!

Aren't there some practise rooms nearby? You could drive your stuff down for a day/night?

My friend actually owns a local rehearsal space building but I ain't payin' him for it.  I just have to wait a bit more or I can set up a jam with somebody at their place.  Just getting antsy is all.
No Focus Pocus

RAGER

Quote from: Worthless Willie on March 28, 2013, 02:36:14 PM
"I'm curious though as to why you seemed to have more favorable things to say about the people that robbed you than the cops? That struck me as being really weird"

Probably because the criminals were actually good at their jobs.  ??

sounds like those dudes had their shit down.  From the way it sounds they prolly rob dope growers too.

And also, there were 6-8 dudes?  They must have done several jobs that night cuz from what you said they took that doesn't seem like much divided that many ways.  Especially if you're risking getting shot.  Cuz if I had a gun nearby and saw somebody coming at me in my garage.  You better believe I'd be firing at 'em.

Good thing you're ok for the most part.
No Focus Pocus

Chovie D

Quote from: RAGER on March 28, 2013, 12:51:41 PM
I've resorted to watching youtube videos of myself playing drums to remind myself that I can actually kinda play the drums :D.  derp

cant you rent a studio for an hour with a kit? they do have those here dont they? sorry Rager, I can never remember exactly where you live but I  think its in the PNW?

RAGER

Yes I could but I ain't gonna.  I'm actually making more out of it than it is just for blog's sake.
No Focus Pocus

Drama

Quote from: JemDooM on March 27, 2013, 08:13:16 PM
turns out theres more than one kind of wankery that kills your wrists eh,...

Iv been using a soft plec but a few months ago I got an Obituary plec from Trevor at a live show and was surprised at how thick it was, iv been meaning to get thicker plecs since, and according to the youtubes im definetly doing it wrong....

Until recently I used 3.5mm V-Picks. Also have a couple of their 9mm and 12mm picks, which I dig for certain effects.

Pretty hooked on the John Petrucci Jazz III's now. Just slightly bigger than regular Jazz III's which makes em just about perfect for me.

Discö Rice

I use Dunlop 2.0 Gator Grip picks. I'm not fast enough to really require a pick like that, but that's a smooth player.
Somebody's gonna eat my pussy or I'm gonna cut your fucking throat.

Chovie D

Quote from: JemDooM on March 27, 2013, 06:26:12 PM
Yeah totally didnt see it coming, I can feel the exact point on the bony bit at the base of my thumb that meets my wrist its hot and everything, I see im really gonna have to start practising different techniques...

QuoteMalmsteen has tendinitis so bad that he used to have to soak his hands in cold water, then dunk them in hot water between every song.

That sounds really painful, good on him for carrying on, wow :o

ive never heard it called tremolo picking in that context before.

Ive ever heard it called trem picking in reference to a mandolin.

we used to call that "circle picking".

learn somehting new almost every day...

MichaelZodiac

We were supposed to have rehearsal this morning but our drummer bailed, again. This blows.
"To fully experience music is to experience the true inner self of a human being" -Pøde Jamick

Nolan