The Jam Room Blog Thread.

Started by Discö Rice, November 14, 2012, 07:10:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Discö Rice

Well, just posted a "drummer available" ad on craigslist. On high alert for stranger danger.  :-\
Somebody's gonna eat my pussy or I'm gonna cut your fucking throat.

Metal and Beer

You should see the Cra....wait, "u shud c the craglist ads hear"

"drumer, wants to rock play some orignals and covers just wana rock"

I tried this ad title to thwart dingleberries: "Blue Cheer, Orange Goblin, Red Fang, Black Flag"...I got two "u like metalica" replies. In this small market, (obviously not NYC, haha) a CL ad is basically useless, all "our" musicians already know each other.

/useless anecdote
"Would it kill you fellas to play some Foghat?"

Discö Rice

That's funny - I responded to an ad and didn't hear back for over a a week. I posted an ad and heard back inside an hour, and I'm almost certain it's the guy I wrote to in the first place.

Discö Rice

Quote from: Metal and Beer on March 09, 2013, 08:30:26 PM
You should see the Cra....wait, "u shud c the craglist ads hear"

"drumer, wants to rock play some orignals and covers just wana rock"

I tried this ad title to thwart dingleberries: "Blue Cheer, Orange Goblin, Red Fang, Black Flag"...I got two "u like metalica" replies. In this small market, (obviously not NYC, haha) a CL ad is basically useless, all "our" musicians already know each other.

/useless anecdote

I was afraid of exactly that, only on a NYC scale. Hundreds of "u like Metallica?"  or "u like AIC?" or " dude! siiiiiick! - do any of those bands sound like Hatebreed? I fukkn loooooove Hatebreed! Do u like Pantera?" and so on.

Discö Rice

P.S. I dig the color scheme. I really should've tried to be more clever.
:(

Lumpy

Quote from: Discö Rice on March 09, 2013, 08:38:35 PM
That's funny - I responded to an ad and didn't hear back for over a a week. I posted an ad and heard back inside an hour, and I'm almost certain it's the guy I wrote to in the first place.

:D :D :D :D
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

VOLVO)))

Those are my favorite responses, "I've never heard of any of those bands but u like Pantera?!"
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Discö Rice

Quote from: SunnO))) on March 09, 2013, 11:31:21 PM
Those are my favorite responses, "I've never heard of any of those bands but u like Pantera?!"

These guys made sure to ask me if I was into Alice in Chains or Tool. Apparently they think I'd be a good fit for their Nickelback cover band. (Listen to it - I fucking dare you.)

http://m.soundcloud.com/quarterhorse-radio/yard

Can't wait to play USO shows with these super rad dudes. I might even get to high-five Kid Rock.

Then there's this other guy (the one that contacted me inside an hour of my posting the ad) that says he likes a lot of the same bands that I do (First three bands I listed - Melvins, Harvey Milk, Swans), but his music says otherwise. Hot Snakes and Sunny Day Real Estate are more like it. (in fairness, he did mention both of those bands in his response)

Chovie D

pre craigs list we used to put ads in the village voice and we'd hang up flyers in bars and laundromats, music stores, etc. we were lookin for a drummer. my faves:
-guy who hung up on me when I asked how old he was. I called him back and he was working at sam ash, asked him why he hung up on me, said "no one asks mick jagger how old he is!". haha.
-guy who showed up to the audtition with no sticks(the only thing he was asked to bring). we borrrowed hm some sticks and it was obvious he had never played the drums before in his life. he started doing the faux keith moon, I have no idea how to play drums, drum solo
-guy who was a model and wanted to know how soon we'd be on mtv.

we'd also go to cbgbs on audtion night and try to steal other bands drummers(if they were any good). that never worked.

eyeprod

Had a blast smoking joints with D-rider himself after enjoying his Space Ritual set.  Never had so much fun in LA.  Connected with the guy from cleopatra records. I think I might be doing some shirt printing for him. Looks promising. Also hung out with the ultra electric omega guys.  Super cool dudes.
CV - Slender Fungus

JemDooM

Haha  ;D

I remember we found an ad on gumtree (similar to Craigslist) this guy advertising as a 'death metal' drummer, we asked him along and when he showed up we were like right lets go down to your car and help you bring up your stuff, to which he said he'd not brought anything he'd just come to watch, so not having it we set up our own kit and insisted he play, about 10 minutes in he was panting and sweating, totally exhausted, playing really painfully simple poppy beats, then he wanted to know if the practise rooms had any lock ups big enough to fit his whole kit so he'd never have to dismantle it! The worst thing was that he seemed not to have heard of any of the death bands we brought up not even Autopsy, bad times  ???
DooM!

Jor el

Hey Jumz, 

How is Harry Neil doing?
What Would Scooby Do ?

liquidsmoke

the diddler

First two shows with the new band this weekend.  I think I'm ready.....

https://www.facebook.com/pages/MAHNHAMMER/263814914966

Jake

Awesome. Break a leg, chico.

Or someone else's leg.
poop.

JemDooM

Hairyneil is good! He's still a gear nerd, I'll tell him to get his ass back here!
DooM!

Danny G

Yes. Moar Hairy Neil.

Sent from a can on some string using Tapatalk
The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com

Lumpy

Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

justinhedrick

my band is opening for Jucifer on April 1. that's cool. 2nd show we've ever played. first was almost a year ago!  ;D ??? :-\

Instant Dan

Talk me out of selling my 2204 for another amp.

Originally was thinking of doing a 6-knob Laney Pro-Tube. Then got to thinking of selling it and putting towards a Dunwich build of a half-wattage Laney Klipp or Model T with a MV mod.

justinhedrick

Quote from: Instant Dan on March 19, 2013, 12:44:56 PM
Talk me out of selling my 2204 for another amp.

Originally was thinking of doing a 6-knob Laney Pro-Tube. Then got to thinking of selling it and putting towards a Dunwich build of a half-wattage Laney Klipp or Model T with a MV mod.

why do you NOT like about it? let's start there.

mutantcolors

Do not sell your 2204 for another amp.

You're welcome.

Instant Dan

It seems lately I just can't dial out that 80's 'GnR' sound. The problem is partially the overdrive I am using, OCD, and the p'ups in my LP (57 classics).

Jake

With what speakers? People massively underestimate the humongous contribution speakers make to an amp's sound.

Also, that '80s GnR sound is goddanmned delightful (IMO) and people often pay big bucks chasing it.
poop.

Instant Dan

It is not a bad sound at all, just not what I am looking for at the moment. I want more grunt, so to speak.

A mix of V30/G12H30

Tuned to drop Db flat.