The Jam Room Blog Thread.

Started by Discö Rice, November 14, 2012, 07:10:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

renfield

Yeah, the more I play, the more I'm not seeing the value add of getting something above $500 as compared to some of the sub-300 offerings.

Also realized I'm just not a Martin guy. They have this really fragile and tinny feeling to them. Almost a "texture" to the feel of the strum that is kinda gross to me.

And I played a baritone that really blew my mind. An 8-string baritone. Actually I think I might have to get it. I think I am realizing it with certainty as I type these words right now.

Muffin Man

I forgot to mention my "carboard" $149 parlor. It's a tiny monster. Again, I need to put a mic to it and the reality of doing that could ruin the party. But in terms of inspiration the little parlor is a freak.

Muffin Man

Quote from: renfield on November 11, 2023, 01:08:54 PMn 8-string baritone. Actually I think I might have to get it.
One of the cats back in the day played an 8 string electric bass (not baritone), or maybe an electric 10ner. Real odd-ball stuff but an 8-stirng baritone acoustic would be really cool. If it grabs you, grab it.

RAGER

I've said it before and I think there's only a couple others here who agree or at least used to post here but, I'm not a big fan of Bonamassa. I don't own any of his stuff and probably 95% of his stuff I don't listen to but.....I like his approach, I appreciate how he came to be and all with hard work, his appreciation and knowledge of gear, and most of all a certain setup he used a lot. Don't know if he still does but 4 different voiced heads into two split 4x12's is where it's at to have your bases covered. Very cool. He's obviously an amazing player. He'll straight up admit he rips Eric Johnson and Clapton riffs cuz the shits gotta come from somewhere. Even though I normally play heavier stuff you can definitely hear Eddies double stops, Alex's chords, and Page pentatonic Phrygian stuff in my playing.

Anyways, great interview just posted on YouTube with Rick Beato, another total guitar nerd and nice guy.

No Focus Pocus

Submarine

I never was a booster/pedal stacker guitarist but I just saw (heard) the light.  Maxon Tubescreamer into a Violet Menace (muff rams head clone).  Gamechanger for me.

Pissy

Quote from: RAGER on November 30, 2023, 12:49:44 PMI've said it before and I think there's only a couple others here who agree or at least used to post here but, I'm not a big fan of Bonamassa. I don't own any of his stuff and probably 95% of his stuff I don't listen to but.....I like his approach, I appreciate how he came to be and all with hard work, his appreciation and knowledge of gear, and most of all a certain setup he used a lot. Don't know if he still does but 4 different voiced heads into two split 4x12's is where it's at to have your bases covered. Very cool. He's obviously an amazing player. He'll straight up admit he rips Eric Johnson and Clapton riffs cuz the shits gotta come from somewhere. Even though I normally play heavier stuff you can definitely hear Eddies double stops, Alex's chords, and Page pentatonic Phrygian stuff in my playing.

Anyways, great interview just posted on YouTube with Rick Beato, another total guitar nerd and nice guy.

Yeah, I feel like I shouldn't like the guy, but he's really knowledgeable and can play great, and it seems like he'll talk to anyone who will sit down with him.  
Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

Im honestly not sure I'd like him. He's a know it all nerd that probably does know it all. Lol. And he seems like one of those artists/musicians that only want to talk to peers. If that makes sense. Good interview though. And yes people hate him but fawn over Mayer?  Fukn dipshit blues fans.
No Focus Pocus

James1214

Ol' Joe Bonermaster. Worked at a clients house a few months back who "was a guitar guy" had a goldtop LP and a plexi in his livingroom, and watched live Bonamassa all day long.... the guy can play, hes got some wicked chops, but it just didn't make me feel anything. It was a far cry from the chills I get listening to Howlin Wolf, BB king, Robert Johnson, or SRV.
words

mortlock

As far as modern blues guys go, i like kingfish better than bonamossa.

RAGER

I don't really like any of them. I mostly can't stand any of that shit.

There's one clip I enjoy of Bonermaster. It's a live thing and he plays a medley and part is Just Got Paid and the tone is fukn bomb. And I think he's using a V and the 4 head 2 cab thing I don't but it sounds really good to my ears. Not too much gain and woody.
No Focus Pocus

neighbor664

Not a fan of any of Joe's earlier work.  Most usually don't care for his originals, but  his playing and tone are great. His production and collaborative work with other artists has been on point.

https://youtu.be/fHjD_M_0J70?si=ZOh-kOu98nJutdeg

everdrone

used to really like Black Country Communion and Joe Bonamassa's guitar   on that...they get such a huge sound for a power trio or if they have keys
thought Joes vocals were good too on his solo type projects

as for me I did a black sabbath tribute audition last night for the Ozzy position...it was fun they sound killer!  Hope I get it!

RAGER

Dinner, a pint and my new book.

No Focus Pocus

Pissy

For you that plate is almost slumming it. Looks tasty though. 
Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

I made shitty pub food purposefully but the melt was really good. I took leftover potatiskorv, chopped it up and added my pork rub then sautéed it for the melt  pepper jack and provolone was the cheese.
No Focus Pocus

mortlock

let me know how the book was. i need a new book to get into. i read both the metallica and black sabbath books mick wall wrote. i thought they were both really good.

who wrote that one??

RAGER

It was written by Gershon Eliezer Weinrib
No Focus Pocus

James1214

Been working hard on the barn. Spent my free time the last few weeks finalizing the electrical, insulating, drywalling, yesterday I framed out the doom closet for all the gear.

words

Muffin Man

Quote from: James1214 on January 20, 2024, 09:08:31 PMBeen working hard on the barn. Spent my free time the last few weeks finalizing the electrical, insulating, drywalling, yesterday I framed out the doom closet for all the gear.

diggin' the rafter beams, man.

mortlock

me too. super awesome rafter beams.

Muffin Man

I pre-ordered the Vox Real McCoy Limted Chrome Wah. Stll time to cancel  let me know. I have backstock of a (1ea) ChaseTone halo inductor, unused part grab, if I have to fit that . If this new Vox pedal and inductor is the beesknees then all well and good. $300. I've had Tease Wheels of Fire but sold it, wen't to a better home. This NAMM 2024 Vox is a total gamble. TGP has nothing on it, or a few quibbles. Hey, I'll just find out. Only thing I hope for is some meat and some meat floss on the strings and some whizzer bits.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1806593-REG/vox_vrm1_ltd_real_mccory_wah_limited.html

everdrone

So I'm the Ozzy in the sabbath tribute. First gig in one week.

mortlock

Quote from: everdrone on January 27, 2024, 01:08:13 PMSo I'm the Ozzy in the sabbath tribute. First gig in one week.
big shoes to fill. doing covers and being in a tribute band are two very different things. i want to hear it. im way too chicken shit to be in a tribute band from the vocal perspective. i cant sound like anyone but myself. my band covers born too late but i dont give a fuck that i dont sound anything like wino, we just put our own stamp on it. tribute bands are a whole different animal. respect to you for that.

Submarine

Quote from: everdrone on January 27, 2024, 01:08:13 PMSo I'm the Ozzy in the sabbath tribute.

You are going to have a blast.  You just need a white shirt with fringes.