The Jam Room Blog Thread.

Started by Discö Rice, November 14, 2012, 07:10:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mortlock

im kind of into these basses. i never heard of them until today. accidently stumbled upon someone playing one in a YT vid. carbon fiber neck. wood body. passive pups, which is a huge thing for me as i hate active electronics. normally youd see active in a bass like this. not unreasonably priced.
anyone know anything about these? they make guitars too.
https://klosguitars.com/products/electric-bass

RAGER

I brought this thing home last week. Haven't tried to apply power via a variac and not sure I will. Think I'll just sell it. If anybody actually wants the damn thing.

Also check this out. Found n a pile in f junk out in the shop. Basket case. Beyond repair. Might just bring home the faceplate and gang it on the wall. What a waste.

No Focus Pocus

RAGER

This is from the estate thing I'm doing.
No Focus Pocus

Pissy

Is that mixer powered?   With 4 channel output that you can use those little joysticks to pan 360°?  Interesting. 
Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

No. They're just 3 way toggles.
No Focus Pocus

mortlock

Anyone going to use this when it goes live? Ampwall is going to be the pepsi to bandcamps coke.
Ampwall.com

RAGER

I'm m intrigued since Bandcamp just sold.
No Focus Pocus

mortlock

Pissy

Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

We should have it n a central location, line Portland.
No Focus Pocus

renfield

Played about 30-40 steel string acoustic guitars over the last couple days. I have been living with an entry level nylon string classical guitar as my only acoustic for a while, and this amex gift card I got from work has "new guitar" written all over it

Since when does EVERY goddamn acoustic guitar have pickups in it? About 75% of the models in the three shops I visited had dorky electronics in them. Perhaps I am being judgmental but I am interested in a guitar that sounds good unplugged, is my whole game here.

Anyways, played some fancy Martins and stuff but the one I liked the best so far was a Fender Dreadnought

https://www.fender.com/en-US/acoustic-guitars/dreadnought/pd-220e-dreadnought/0970310303.html

...but I don't know if I loved it.

Gonna take my sweet ass time with this one

Pissy

I too am perplexed with the high concentration of Acoustic/Electric offerings. 

I'm going to recommend a Yamaha to you.  I have one i got used at GC for $99 and after I set it up with some relief, fret level/polish and fingerboard oiling it sounds absolutely awesome.  I look for them on the cheap quite regularly.   If you get a chance to A/B/C vs current Martin and Taylors I think you'll find a lot of bang for the buck, tone wise.  Mine is a Model SCF08. No electronics.  Or maybe I just got lucky- which rarely happens to me.

I would also recommend D'Addario Nickel Bronze strings.  I found they have the best balance of bright to boom across the spectrum.

Vinyls.   deal.

Pissy

Also, see the logo on the headstock?  I look for that style logo in a Yamaha, vs the tuning fork or tea leaf logo.  
Vinyls.   deal.

renfield

Those Yamahas look absolutely gorgeous. I'll keep a lookout.

RAGER

I told myself I'd play more acoustic if I had a nice one. So I bought a Gibson Songwriter a few years ago. It has Fishman pickup and no knobs or anything just an input built into the strap pin. It sounded great but I just never played it. T jus sat in the case and I always worried about keeping it the right temperature and would move it around the house depending on the weather. A lot of worry for something I rarely touched. So I sold it. Still have a couple cheapies.

Pussy us right. Sone of those Yamahas and Takamines are great and inexpensive.
No Focus Pocus

Pissy

Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

Quote from: renfield on November 04, 2023, 09:11:52 PMPlayed about 30-40 steel string acoustic guitars over the last couple day

yep. get at it. OG.

Muffin Man

Quote from: renfield on November 04, 2023, 09:11:52 PMI have been living with an entry level nylon string classical guitar as my only acoustic for a while

My $139 nylon acoustic is probably my best acoustic. Mail order pure luck.

Muffin Man

Pissy

Quote from: renfield on November 05, 2023, 11:59:23 AMThose Yamahas look absolutely gorgeous. I'll keep a lookout.
Also, depending on your budget, the late 60's to early 70's Yamaha FG180 sound really great.  Elliot Smith played them.  The caveat is to find one that doesn't need a neck reset given their age.   Try to get one made in Japan, red label in the sound hole, but the ones made in Taiwan are supposed to be great too. Easily attainable for $500 or so. 
Vinyls.   deal.

Muffin Man

Quote from: Pissy on November 07, 2023, 06:42:57 AM
Quote from: renfield on November 05, 2023, 11:59:23 AMThose Yamahas look absolutely gorgeous. I'll keep a lookout.
Also, depending on your budget, the late 60's to early 70's Yamaha FG180 sound really great.  Elliot Smith played them.  The caveat is to find one that doesn't need a neck reset given their age.   Try to get one made in Japan, red label in the sound hole, but the ones made in Taiwan are supposed to be great too. Easily attainable for $500 or so.

awesome.

Muffin Man

Quote from: renfield on November 04, 2023, 09:11:52 PMreplying

Highly reccomend getting a baritone acoustic - it might blow your mind. Mine was. I'm even considering a second one now that I see them in black. I feel really lucky because the one I got is really something special. You can beat the ever loving bananas out of it an it refuses to collapse. Or play it ever so gently at tickle whisper level and it rewards sweetly. Could be honeymoon but I don't think so. Honestly, okay, I've yet to put a microphone in front of it. Will do that soon! But in the room it is just spectacular. For $500? C'mon.

The point of it is is that it's farily different and lands you in a different space for song writting or just tooling around. Fun city. Is it a bass or is it a guitar? If you want pure acoustic dreadnaught and whatnot this isn't it. Its more bass than not.

Right, not a dreadnaught maybe more of a 4-5th guitar but I would seriously try one. Man I love mine.

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/alvarez-abt610e-baritone-acoustic-electric-guitar/j57125000001000

ps I don't know about their different model numbers.

Muffin Man

next