Main Menu

Are flying V basses dumb?

Started by bbottom, September 25, 2013, 03:12:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbottom

Some guitars and basses don't translate well. A les paul guitar is cool looking, yet the bass version is dumb. A thunderbird is cool, yet a firebird is dumb.

I used to think that V's were only cool looking as guitars but I'm beginning to thing that the bass version is kind of cool as well. What say you?

Ryno

V's always rule no matter what.

I mean...almost always.  I'm sure we can find plenty of examples of uncool V's out there.

But mostly they're cool.
If a bear shits in the woods, should I have a cocktail?

Lip

I think they look cool - but I've never heard or played one that sounded great. I do like Explorers for basses though - its a nice chunk of wood - I think much mire conducive for bass. I'd love to have the First Act custom shop build me an Explorer bass.
Last night I heard the ghetto bird circle.... as I was eatin' fish.... and watchin' Erkel...

bbottom

Quote from: Lip on September 25, 2013, 03:27:25 AM
I think they look cool - but I've never heard or played one that sounded great. I do like Explorers for basses though - its a nice chunk of wood - I think much mire conducive for bass. I'd love to have the First Act custom shop build me an Explorer bass.

I had an Epi explorer bass awhile back and hated it. It was the most awkward thing that I've ever tried to play.
I bought it because I love explorer guitars and figured the bass would be just as cool..... false. Maybe the Gibson versions are better

frobbert

I've got a Cort flying V. The fact that it's a headless makes it a bit dumb I guess..
bite me

VOLVO)))

Washburn makes all the uncool V shapes. Holy hot fuck are some of those things awful.

Explorer basses are tits, you have to sling them kinda high to take advantage of the weight distribution.

The EB0 is pretty incredible.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

RacerX

QuoteA les paul guitar is cool looking, yet the bass version is dumb.

False.
Livin' The Life.

neighbor664

Brian from San Diego's The Long And Short Of It makes the best use of a Flying V bass. The V rests perfectly against the armrest of his wheelchair.

FullCustom

Only if you are this guy and it's a Reverse Flying V.

bbottom

Quote from: SunnO))) on September 25, 2013, 06:45:16 AM
Washburn makes all the uncool V shapes. Holy hot fuck are some of those things awful.

Explorer basses are tits, you have to sling them kinda high to take advantage of the weight distribution.

The EB0 is pretty incredible.

Those Deans are awful as well. Why Dean puts those horrible headstocks on their guitars is beyond me.

Danny G

Pinkus from Honky uses V basses.

He could play a washtub bass and make that cool too

Sent from a can on some string using Tapatalk
The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com

James1214

I has a dean explorer bass and I loved it tonally, and loved its looks (except for the headstock) but I couldn't, for the life of me find a case for it. The damn thing was nearly 5 feet from end to end.
words

eoin_not_ian

Depends on the player most likely. I don't like the V shape for basses and I would look stupid playing one.

mortlock

id love to have one but I cant imagine it being better than a fender..

lordfinesse

This is a funny thread. I strongly support it. I say it takes a special player to pull off a Flying V bass, but it's possible.
Billy Squier 24/7

VOLVO)))

Im pretty sure a lesbian bass player could pull off a V bass.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Mr. Foxen

Acid Shark bass player uses a flying V bass, shorter scale and he's a tiny man so it works out ideal. Also it sounds massive.

Ayek

George Rice made the V work for him

everdrone

Quote from: Danny G on September 25, 2013, 12:58:28 PM
Pinkus from Honky uses V basses.

He could play a washtub bass and make that cool too

Sent from a can on some string using Tapatalk

+1

I saw their show and it was killer :)

Worthless Willie

What happens between me and Steve Vegas and him and my wife and me and his goat is our own goddam business. Butt the fuck out. - Jeff Smith

Mr Neutron

in the early 90's Allen Woody played a 12 string short scale v bass with the Allman Brothers.

"Where words fail, music speaks."

bbottom

Quote from: Mr Neutron on September 30, 2013, 03:20:50 PM
in the early 90's Allen Woody played a 12 string short scale v bass with the Allman Brothers.

Christ. That is really really dumb

Jake

Allen Woody gets a pass. I bet he make that thing sing. I'd hate to have to tune that thing though.
poop.

Mr Neutron

i remember him playing a darker colored one, but i could be wrong. he might play it on the live at great woods video...cant remember.
he also had an 18 string chandler, at one point.
"Where words fail, music speaks."