Chorus on your guitar tracks?

Started by black aspirin, September 24, 2013, 09:42:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

black aspirin

My buddy recommended it to me instead of reverb (I don't use a lot of reverb, either)...and I'll be damned.  Made the guitar tracks sound so much fuller.  Do you use it?

I'm still working on getting better sounds to begin with, instead of trying to 'doctor' the track later, but chorus made a huge difference on my latest tracks.
This Juan goes to 11.

spookstrickland

I have a love hate relation with chorus.  Some times I love it and other times I think it's cold and sterile.  I real like those old Roland amp chorus tones though.
I'm beginning to think God was an Astronaut.
www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

RAGER

I'd have to hear it but my first inclination is a big ah hell nah!
No Focus Pocus

Danny G

I used to use Chorus for many years, but as an effect I just sort of outgrew it

Sent from a can on some string using Tapatalk
The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com

RAGER

For some reason I still have a CE-3 I bought used in about 86.  Just can't seem to shake it.  I think it's too late to get rid of it now.  They can bury me with it ironic like, cuz.....Portland.
No Focus Pocus

VOLVO)))

That's how Abbath gets a bunch of his tone mojo.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

JemDooM

I haven't tried a chorus pedal for myself yet but iv tried using it in mixing and haven't liked it, the bassist from Trippy Wicked uses a boss chorus and he has the fattest bass sound it's awesome!!
DooM!

AgentofOblivion

A chorus can be used to great effect and it can be over-used to shit effect.  Where that line exists is, of course, a matter of preference.  It's function is to double your track (or quadruple...etc) except delay it by a bit and pitch shift it a little.  If you have a stereo chorus then you spread them out over the stereo field, which sounds huge. 

It's similar to copying a track and then pasting the copy slightly off time, and I'm a big fan of that (once phase correlation is confirmed).  I say use away, just err on the side of "not enough" than "too much" unless you really like the modulated sound.

Corey Y

I've heard a lot of really great heavy tones where there's just a barely perceptible amount of chorus mixed in. Especially in music that's in that classic heavy metal to trad doom metal vibe. I've never been able to pull it off myself, it always goes from so low I can't hear it to so much I can't stand it real quick. I think how much single note riffing vs held out chords comes into play too.

Danny G

I was using a Small Clone back in the Southern Gun Culture days, and it was all over the first album.

Revisiting it within the last year for the first time in many years, it finally dawned on me how much Kim Thayil/Soundgarden influence I had at the time.

Sent from a can on some string using Tapatalk
The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com

black aspirin

Quote from: AgentofOblivion on September 25, 2013, 10:24:53 AM
A chorus can be used to great effect and it can be over-used to shit effect.  Where that line exists is, of course, a matter of preference.  It's function is to double your track (or quadruple...etc) except delay it by a bit and pitch shift it a little.  If you have a stereo chorus then you spread them out over the stereo field, which sounds huge.

The plug-in I'm using is referred to as 'Stereo Delay (Chorus)', so I guess that's what you're talking about.

Quote from: AgentofOblivionIt's similar to copying a track and then pasting the copy slightly off time, and I'm a big fan of that (once phase correlation is confirmed).  I say use away, just err on the side of "not enough" than "too much" unless you really like the modulated sound.

I tried that years ago when I last recorded and had some success with it.  What delay time do you use?  I was thinking I tried like 2ms or something.
This Juan goes to 11.

AgentofOblivion

I don't recall exactly, but I seem to remember something around 20ms.  How much sounds good kind of depends on if it's a loose part or if it's some really tight riff with lots of starts/stops. 

Discö Rice

Demian Johnston of Playing Enemy used a stereo chorus that he ran out to two seperate amps he placed on either side of the stage, and it would make your head swim. Done right, they're cool.

Somebody's gonna eat my pussy or I'm gonna cut your fucking throat.

eddiefive10

Quote from: Discö Rice on September 26, 2013, 06:43:22 PM
Demian Johnston of Playing Enemy used a stereo chorus that he ran out to two seperate amps he placed on either side of the stage, and it would make your head swim. Done right, they're cool.

He also used a akai headrush original