Main Menu

Laney Amp

Started by AgentofOblivion, September 23, 2013, 04:27:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AgentofOblivion

I asked this in a different thread but it didn't seem to be the place.

Anyway, a dude is supposedly moving out of the country and needs to unload all of his gear.  It comes with two amps and if I can re-sell everything else I can basically get the amp I want for free.  The biggest thing I would need to unload is a Laney TT100 2x12 combo*.  I can't find much information at all on Laney's in general and this model specifically.  They just don't seem to be that popular in the states.  They were over $2000 new and I need to get $600 for the numbers to come out right.  You guys know anything about these and whether that's a reasonable expectation?  Thanks.

* http://www.amazon.com/Laney-TT100H-Guitar-Combo-Switching/dp/B001TODDM8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1379967871&sr=8-1&keywords=laney+tt100 

The Bandit

I saw that thread and it certainly looks like you are getting a ton of stuff for the money.  I don't know much about the amps, but it looked like a decent deal to me. 

Now waiting for SunnJake to come in and say that Laneys are crap...

VOLVO)))

Laneys are perfectly usable and well made amplifiers
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Mr. Foxen

I like Laneys, sort of think they peaked with the AOR though, the Klipps and SGs had pretty poor caps that make them blow up (hence I recap all mine before sale), and weren't super tidy, the AORs were PCB, but done right and with neat wiring, that carried on for the earlier GH series, but they got more generic PCB after that.

AgentofOblivion

I'm not familiar with all the acronyms.  How is the TT?

black aspirin

Quote from: SunnO))) on September 23, 2013, 04:51:44 PM
Laneys are perfectly usable and well made amplifiers

Whew!  I already had my e-fist clenched in case you talked shit on my amp! 
This Juan goes to 11.

RAGER

Only Laney I ever had was a Klipp.  I t was alright I guess,  Rather have a SuperGroup if one comes up.
No Focus Pocus

black aspirin

I have a GH 50L.  I dig it...way more versatile than my Matamp was.  I just wish I lived in seclusion so I could actually crank the thing.
This Juan goes to 11.

Mr. Foxen

Quote from: RAGER on September 23, 2013, 06:35:23 PM
Only Laney I ever had was a Klipp.  I t was alright I guess,  Rather have a SuperGroup if one comes up.

Klipps tend to need bunches of work, most I've had (which is a lot) are fucked in various ways. Got a Supergroup to go, big money though, got a Sabbath link.

RAGER

In front of that is prolly a CP or a DR.
No Focus Pocus

JemDooM

It's almost exactly like my Laney 12" combo which sounds amazing, it's my favourite peice of gear, same speakers, I can't say any more than that really!
DooM!

johnny problem

Maybe this website will help you out a little?  It's slow paced but has a ton of info.

http://www.laney-posse.co.uk/theposse/index.php

AgentofOblivion

Thanks for the help.  I bought the package yesterday. 

One thing I read about these is that they're crazy loud--not surprising for a 100 watt amp.  However when I tried it out it wasn't very loud at all.  I had the channel and master volumes around 4-5 and it was only moderately loud.  He had two of these amps and I had my choice as to which one I wanted.  He said one of them had a fresh re-tube but both of them were about the same volume.  I was concerned at first and thought there may be a problem with the amp but then I figured it was probably unlikely for both of them to have the exact same problem.  Volume surprises aside they sounded surprisingly good.  You guys think both these amps are fucked up or they're just not as loud as one might expect from a 100 watt rating?  For comparison, I plugged into his Fender Blues Deluxe (40 watts, 1x12) and it was significantly louder at lower volume settings (2 or 3).

Mr. Foxen

Volume knob position is meaningless, but those should basically go really loud. The GH100l I have in at the moment is quiet and sounds like shit though (hence being in) problem doesn't appear to be valves.

AgentofOblivion

Thanks.  I've also read recently that the Fender Blues Deluxe amp I was comparing it to is notoriously very loud at low volume settings, so there probably isn't any issue and the Laney will keep getting louder whereas the Fender tops out very quickly.

VOLVO)))

That's only if it doesn't sound like wiener. Most Laneys do, because they suck.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

The Bandit

Quote from: SunnO))) on September 26, 2013, 10:15:16 AM

Huh?  You said they were well made and perfectly acceptable.

VOLVO)))

Sneak attack.  ;D ;D ;D

Wouldn't mind one of these.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

black aspirin

Quote from: SunnO))) on September 26, 2013, 10:15:16 AM

A wolf in sheep's clothing, you are!  >:(
This Juan goes to 11.

RAGER

That thing's got too many goddamm knobs. And what?  Are you supposed to carry it like a bale of hay?
No Focus Pocus

VOLVO)))

Is that code for saying you're "getting to old for this shit?"

Fucking laneys and their newfangled toroids and transistors!

I almost bought a Crate gx130c a minute ago.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

RAGER

Yeah man if you Dial in a Blue Voodoo just right you're in total Dumble territory.  Most people don't know that.
No Focus Pocus

VOLVO)))

Don't crack on those amps, they aren't bad sounding.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.