Main Menu

Ear plugs

Started by Mike_Sims, February 19, 2011, 12:28:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike_Sims

Alright, I'll cut straight to the chase. Are there any good ear plugs you guys would recommend? Our drummer has these "custom molded" ear plugs that are pretty much unnoticeable (i never know when he has them in) and apparently are the shit, they just drop decibel, but he can still hear everything. Being the cheap-o I am, I usually just get those damn purple ear plugs that do nothing but filter out all the highs & mids, and leave my head swimming with low range frequency (not fun, especially when you become dizzy). I did use the "no ear plug" method a few times, but I'd like to be able to hear into my 30's.

Jor el

I use the HearOs
$14.99

Don't have any experience with others.
What Would Scooby Do ?

bass sic

Where did your drummer get his? I would gladly pay the price for those if I could find them.

Baltar

I use cheaper ones too.  They do cut the high's and mid's, but I learned to adapt.  Jor el told me aboot a cool little aluminum keychain container.   You can get them at drugstores, usually they're for holding pills. But plugs fit in them nicely and I always have them on me if I'm oot seeing the odd band play.
Friends don't let friends play solid state amplifiers.

clockwork green

I had molded ear plugs and they were really unbalanced sounding. They cut the highs but not the super deep bass so every band sounded like I was trapped in the trunk with the subwoofers of some rap-mobile. Everyone I've talked to with custom plugs has had great experiences with the sound so it makes me feel like trying again but I don't use ear plugs on stage and at practice I position myself to get away with it there as well...if I had really good sounding ones I'd probably wear they at practice. Next time I'd probably get weaker attenuation filters...I went with 25dB and maybe that was part of the problem. I just need the edge taken off.
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

justJon

Etymotic. I think the model # is er-20, or something like that. Clear silicone, straight dB drop of about 15. No muffling. They essentially dissapear. And they cost like $8-$10 a pair.

I'm a drummer, I play loud, hell we play loud, and I can still hear. I'm 52, I wear them in the front of the stage when I see Weedeater, etc. Never a "sound hangover."
A wooly man without a face, or a beast without a name.

Mike_Sims

Shit, I wish I had ear plugs the last time I saw Weedeater... Big mistake. Opening for the dudes in March, so that should be pretty fucking loud. Anyways, thanks Jon I'mma look for some of them. Yeah those foamy ones just muffle the shit outta my ears, it does sound like you're trapped in a trunk with a subwoofer. Shit makes me fucking dizzy.

db3jed

I'm with Just Jon on this.
Etymotic Research ER-20 is the business.
For non custom plugs these are the best game in town.

I've been using them since they were first introduced 20 some odd yrs. ago (I paid out the ass for my first pair).
They are available in 2 different sizes and are available for around $10.00 a pair.
The "Baby Blues" are the standard size now.
The "Clear Silicone" are listed as large; this is the size that works for me.

Put 'em in early and leave 'em in till you're headed home and they will totally disappear.
If you keep taking them out they'll always sound muffled but that goes with ANY ear plug.

I've been using plugs since 1982 when I first noticed tinnitus (ringing in my ears that didn't go away) in my right ear.
By the time I discovered the ER-20s I had developed it in my left ear as well (due to using make shift ear plugs, plugs for swimming, etc.) and it had gotten worse over all.
I still make a point to try new and different plugs in an effort to find something that maybe works better but so far nothing has beat the ER-20.

Sorry if I sounded like an advertisement but when I believe in something I tend to get pretty vocal about it when somebody asks my opinion.

black_out

Another happy ETY-MOTIC ER20 user hear. You can get them for like $12 shipped on Amazon. They cut a little bit of the treble out, but they are definitely leaps and bounds better than any other over the counter ear plugs I've used. Infact they're the only ear plugs I've ever had that I forget that I'm wearing. They're comfortable and about as transparent as it gets. Still not a bad idea to EQ your shit before you put them in.
By my side I keep my things that I ne-uh-ed! Rest in peace is gonna set me free!

Jor el

I'm guessing the only difference between the Hearos & Etymotic is the price tag.

That pisses me off.
Somebody owes me 10 dollars.

And the name "Hearos" is stupid.
That pisses me off even more.

I'm pissed.
What Would Scooby Do ?

Lumpy

I use the blue Hearos too... like 10 bucks at Guitar Center. Sometimes I forget them at home (duh).

I read that just cutting the highs isn't enough... the bass frequencies can cause a lot of damage, even though they don't give you that icepick feeling.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

giantchris

Quote from: Lumpy on February 20, 2011, 04:04:55 AM
I use the blue Hearos too... like 10 bucks at Guitar Center. Sometimes I forget them at home (duh).

I read that just cutting the highs isn't enough... the bass frequencies can cause a lot of damage, even though they don't give you that icepick feeling.
Most of the research I've read said the bass frequencies actually cause more damage. 

I always found the cheapo 10-15$ ones at GC and Sam Ash aren't too bad.  Been using the same set for about 4 years now and paid 15$ for them and they are just a straight freq drop.  Its really nice to go to concerts and still be able to talk to people the next day.

db3jed

Quote from: Jor el on February 19, 2011, 10:35:53 PM

I'm guessing the only difference between the Hearos & Etymotic is the price tag.

That is a pretty broad reaching statement since Hearos offers foam plugs as well as "high fidelity" ear plugs.
To save any confusion let's state that foam plugs of any brand bear no resemblance and exhibit no performance comparable to the ER-20.
The High Fidelity Hearos appear to be a licensed version o/t ER-20 so the above quote would apply.

Mike_Sims

Jor el

Yes

I ASSumed nobody was talking aboot foam
What Would Scooby Do ?

bass sic

I have these type at work, and Im not too impressed. I think there only slightly better than foamies. Ive been workin on planes and playing loud music for, well, for a long fucking time and I have yet to find a plug that doesnt make everything sound muffled.

Lumpy

The foam ones kinda suck, you want the ones that look like baffles. I wonder if Hearos come in different grades, for more/less dB reduction. I might like a pair that doesn't reduce the volume drastically - I'd be more inclined to wear those all the time.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

db3jed

My apologies Jor el, there tends to be a great deal of confusion surrounding ear plugs and I thought that some clarification might be in order.
I wasn't trying to make an ass of myself or criticize anyone.

And bass sic, I wish they would stock ER-20s or the Hearo version at my work!
It would save me a few bucks every few years 'cuz they always seem to find a home and I wind up having to buy some more.
My employer will only buy the foam jobbies or the triple flange rubber type both of which are disposable rather than something like the ER-20 that can be disassembled and cleaned.
Hell I've had to buy new ones before because I lost one of the little audio filters while I was cleaning them because they're so small.
Anyway, they're the best that I've run up on so far.
If the Hearos come down in price a bit I may try a set just to see how they compare to the ER-20s.

The topic of ear plugs, and hearing in general, is a good one and one that I wish would continue to get some interest from those of us that frequent the Jam Room.
Not as much fun as talking drums, fuzzes, and tube amps though that's for sure.
Cheers everyone.

Jor el

Grooviness.

I blame my Tinnitus on Ratt.
The Hearo/ER-20 keep it from getting any worse.
What Would Scooby Do ?

chlorpromazine

ER-20
bought my first pair from Greg at Emissions, and have been using them ever since

I've had the Hearos High Fidelity plugs, and they seemed less transparent in the higher frequencies than the Etymotics.

VOLVO)))

Ordered the ER-20s. You'se guys are good salespeople.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

DustinAR

I have some hearos, I never remember to bring them with me to shows and when I do I end up taking them out because it kind of muffles the sound. I need to order some of those ER-20s and give them a chance.

LogicalFrank

My favorites now are Skull Screws by Hearos. They have a little more noise reduction than the hi-fi ones and though they aren't marketed as such, I actually think they sound more natural.

A tip for those of you who lose your earplugs frequently, for practice, I wear a set of protective ear muffs like construction workers use. I just went through Amazon and found ones w/ a frequency response curve somewhat similar to Hearos. They work great and are big so I never lose them.
"I have today made a discovery which will ensure the supremacy of German music for the next hundred years."

Mike_Sims

Quote from: SunnO))) on February 23, 2011, 10:31:26 AM
Ordered the ER-20s. You'se guys are good salespeople.
I think I'm gonna be jumping in that boat with ya too

VOLVO)))

I've been using them for a week, now, and they're really, really killer.  You still hear everything, but you don't hurt after hearing it. They'll have no problem blocking out the bad shit from the Model T's, Sims. You can ACTUALLY hear cymbals and whatnot. I'm excited. I got one of those key-ring pill containers, and they fit perfectly on my keys. Best investment, ever.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.