What the hell should I buy, now?

Started by VOLVO))), August 30, 2013, 10:11:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VOLVO)))

Alright, Round 2 with the tan-faced 2203 JCM800 has been great, but I'm feeling the same way I did when I sold it the first time to go to MDF. It's too expensive for me to justify having it, when I am so, so broke and so, so in debt (same circumstance as the first time I sold it.)

I realized last night, at 400$ a piece, I could have three V4's instead of one JCM800. That got me thinking, what else could I get? Peavey butcher? Only be out 200$ and have a grand to throw at my debt... Shit, if I looked hard enough, I could probably get them for 100$ a piece and have two. Mod one to be really bassy, and dirty, and keep the other one somewhat stock with EL34s in there.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

The Bandit

Jake, I fully support whatever you want to do, but if you do sell the JCM again I don't want to hear you talking about how much you miss it.
Been through that once already...

VOLVO)))

I missed how it sounded. If I can get that else where, cheaper, I'm gonna, lol.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

RAGER

I should prolly add a JCM800 to my collection.
No Focus Pocus

VOLVO)))

Quote from: RAGER on August 30, 2013, 10:47:08 AM
I should prolly add a JCM800 to my collection.

One for potential sale, Mr. RV Salesman.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Chovie D

liquidsmoke

If I was you I'd trade it for/sell it and buy a '70s SVT. I like ridiculous headroom though.

AgentofOblivion

Keep it dude.  Will just keep going up in price.  Trading in a badass amp for a mediocre amp and cash that disappears to debt won't be satisfying.  That said, I don't know your debt situation and tone may be a low priority.  I just think you should hold on to things that are only going to become more rare and sought after.

RAGER

Tone you say?  Well....he does like Peaveys.
No Focus Pocus

VOLVO)))

Mediocre amp won't be the case, cheaper, more economically viable amp? Yes. If I can get my asking price, I'mma sell it and throw the money into debt.

How life goes for me:

Debt = anxiety.
Anxiety = loss of creativity and sense of enjoyment.
loss of creativity and sense of enjoyment = not having fun playing music.
not having fun playing music. = why have 1200$ sitting around going to waste.

Once I'm outta the hole, I can worry about having a "Marshall." Until then, I can make everyone else's tone sound weenie and shitty next to mine, with a "mediocre" amp. I'm over the whole name game, these days. Had a Model T, sold it to get outta the hole. Don't miss it.

Gotta get free of the shit debt I'm in, it isn't a lot. It's actually so little that it irritates me what I can't pay it off, and I'm fed up with it. Once it's gone, I'll have free cash, again.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

VOLVO)))

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

VOLVO)))

But really, what should I get my hands on, kiddos?

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

MichaelZodiac

If you'd live closer, I'd suggest to drive to Oli and play on whatever he has lying around and decide then and there  ;D Otherwise, yes to V4 & Butcher.
"To fully experience music is to experience the true inner self of a human being" -Pøde Jamick

Nolan

Corey Y

In the same category of amp tones, I used to have a JCM800, Hiwatt DR504 and Peavey VTM120. I still have the Peavey. If your priority is usefulness and value over bragging rights, a Peavey Butcher or VTM are a good choice. There's also nothing wrong with keeping amps because you think they're cool, but if money is an issue it's worth considering. My explanation for why I ditched the other two amps and kept the Peavey is they all got essentially the same tones (for what I wanted out of them), the Peavey just took a few minutes of knob twiddling to get me what the others had right off the bat. So considering the massive price gap, a couple extra minutes of dialing in tone was worth it.

Lumpy

Personally, I hate having to 'dial in' a sound I like.

Keep the amp you love, the 800 dollars you're gonna convert via sale is peanuts in the long run. Time is money, how long will it take you to find another Marshall next time? And will it need work etc? A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush, etc.

Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

VOLVO)))

I don't think I'll be finding another one, heh. Getting free of the world(debt) will enable me to do much more, much faster.

Realistically... Ill build one before I buy another 800.

SUGGESTIONS. ANYTHING I HAVE OVERLOOKED?

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Jor el

Cabbage Patch Dolls & Beanie Babies
What Would Scooby Do ?

liquidsmoke

Sell the JCM, buy one V4 and one Peavey, pay off some debt, get back to creativity and enjoyment! Win win win.

Or keep the JCM and be miserable but have your Marshall.. um..

VOLVO)))

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Jake

I'll trade you for a chopped down Sunn T50C and a cherry-ass Peavey Classic 50.

Hey! Dat's TWO fer ONE!
poop.

Riffing Tastey

Check out "Where are your God's now?" by General.

RacerX

Quote from: Riffing Tastey on August 30, 2013, 03:09:47 PM
Check out "Where are your God's now?" by General.

He's asking about gear.

Wrong forum for band spam. Try GD.
Livin' The Life.

VOLVO)))

Jake, what do you really want for that Sunn? Haha. I feel like it ain't gonna be as loud as I expect.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

The Bandit

What all amps do you have now, SunnJake?

Jake

It really puts out as much volume as the r/i T, but you just have to crank it a couple of numbers further. But that means more powertube goodness, as far as I'm concerned.

I was/am going to keep it, which I why I decided to chop it. But god fucking damnit, if I told you I didn't think about my old JCM800 at least once a week, I'd be lying.
poop.