Recommended Comedies?

Started by Lumpy, August 19, 2013, 08:40:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lumpy

Make me laugh, please...

I liked Borat, Hot Fuzz, Sean of the Dead (if that counts), the first Austin Powers, uhhh... spacing out on others. I don't see a lot of comedies.

What has more than just a couple of laughs?
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

MadJohnShaft

Some days chickens, some days feathers

Lumpy

I searched to see if there was already a comedy thread... there is not.

Okay, so there's one that's sort-of funny.

chille01

New, or of all time? If the latter, then the Jerk.

ez

The entire Broken Lizard body of work, starting with Super Troopers.
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

Lumpy

Quote from: chille01 on August 19, 2013, 11:52:25 PM

I watched about the first half-hour or 45 minutes of the Jerk on TV once, and I didn't laugh even one time. I gave up. Maybe I'm a bad person.

It's like those Richard Pryor/Gene Wilder comedies from the 70s. Instead of a funny dialogue, they were in "funny situations" (like driving in a funny looking car). But it's probably not going to make you laugh out loud. Steve Martin running down the street with a bucket on his foot? Not LOL.

I will possibly try to watch it again, if I'm under enough peer pressure.

chille01

Well, different strokes for different folks.  I think the Jerk is full of hilarious dialog, starting with I think the very first sentence in the movie (spoken by Steve Martin)... "I was born a poor black child."

But hey, you like it or you don't.  For newer stuff, I guess "This is the End" had some ok gags.  I won't be chalking it up as a classic anytime soon though.

deleted account

I can't believe I agree with Lumpy.  The Jerk is WAY overrated.  more Martin laughs in The Muppet Movie.

and hell yes to Pryor/ Wilder.  Bustin' Loose all day baby

peoplething

Yellowbeard is panned by critics and the movies' own stars say it's the worst movie they've ever done.

"Shut the fuck up." - socket, Administrator

jmucke

Of recent releases I found "It's Disaster" the funniest movie in a long time.

MadJohnShaft

If you don't think The Jerk is a masterpiece it means you hate StonerRock.
Some days chickens, some days feathers

deleted account

why is it even called "The Jerk"?  he's not a jerk, he's an idiot.  get back to me on this Shafty

The Bandit

Stepbrothers
Idiocracy
Anchorman
Observe And Report
Land of the Lost  (yes really)
Zoolander
Walk Hard
Boogie Nights

I'm a big fan of the stupid funny movie.

Dunedin

Yes to Anchorman, Blades of Glory is a good one too.
Lemur Demands Back Scratches!

The Bandit

Talladega Nights has its moments too.  I am a sucker for anything with John C. Reilly in it.

neighbor664

Quote from: Lumpy on August 20, 2013, 07:33:34 PM
Quote from: chille01 on August 19, 2013, 11:52:25 PM

I watched about the first half-hour or 45 minutes of the Jerk on TV once, and I didn't laugh even one time. I gave up. Maybe I'm a bad person.

It's like those Richard Pryor/Gene Wilder comedies from the 70s. Instead of a funny dialogue, they were in "funny situations" (like driving in a funny looking car). But it's probably not going to make you laugh out loud. Steve Martin running down the street with a bucket on his foot? Not LOL.

I will possibly try to watch it again, if I'm under enough peer pressure.

The TV version may have been un-funny-ied by censors. Really, if The Jerk doesn't work for you, your funny may be broken. But hey, I dig those Richard Pryor and Gene Wilder comedies too.

The Bandit

Another test of your funny.  Watch Smokey and the Bandit.  If you don't think that every word that comes out of Jackie Gleason's mouth is comedy gold, you can eat shit.   

Dunedin

I haven't watched it in years but I remember Young Frankenstein having me crying with laughter.
Lemur Demands Back Scratches!

deleted account

Boogie Nights is not a comedy.  it's got some great funny moments, but it's not a comedy

The Shocker

Quote from: priest on August 22, 2013, 07:07:48 PM
Boogie Nights is not a comedy.  it's got some great funny moments, but it's not a comedy

What do you mean dude, it is an awesome black comedy.

deleted account

too much bloodshed and other serious shit to be in that genre.  black comedy moments, sure, but overall it's a drama

The Shocker

Dude, just fuckin with ya.

What about Dr. Strangelove?

deleted account

Lumpy

Quote from: Dunedin on August 22, 2013, 04:43:27 PM
I haven't watched it in years but I remember Young Frankenstein having me crying with laughter.

Young Frankenstein was awesome. The "puttin' on the ritz" scene had me crying from laughing so hard.

I've never seen any of the Will Farrell movies (I saw the one where he lives on the front lawn of the house he got kicked out of... not really a comedy, but good movie). I'll try Anchorman.

JemDooM

Based on what you like I recommend Paul, you've probably seen it but if you haven't then you must!
DooM!