When is it okay to sell gear left at your house?

Started by Ranbat, August 10, 2013, 06:49:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ranbat

I've had people leave gear at my house for YEARS. Is it ever okay to sell it? What is the good bro waiting period for getting other people's junk outta my jam room? When I move? When they die?
Meh :/

Pissy

try to get in touch with them first.  It's polite, but i would say not a hard and fast rule.
Vinyls.   deal.

Demon Lung

I'd contact them and let them know that they have 30 days to come get their shit or it will be sold. The way that I see it is that my house isn't someone else personal storage facility.

The Shocker

Yeah, you have to give them a heads up first. 

Ranbat

I've have gotten ahold of them to remind them that their stuff is here. But, I should probably make a last attempt and notify them that I will be getting rid of it one way or the other.

VOLVO)))

"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Ranbat

Boss HyperFuzz (FZ2), an old Concertmate keyboard, Shure SM58, a kick pedal, Paiste 2002 ride and assorted cables, strings and picks. Not alot of stuff really, but I only have use for the kick pedal and the ride. The keyboard does quirky crap, which is probably why it was left.

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

mutantcolors

Have done it. Over a grand worth of bass gear left at my jam room, by a guy who owed my $500, and didn't talk to me for 6mos straight. Bet your ass he called me two weeks after I sold it to a friend for the 5 bills he owed me.

I broke no laws in doing so. He threatened legal action. He, of course, did nothing in reality.

RAGER

Hung onto some gear for about 2 years.  no phone number but I ran into him twice and his brother once and he still never picked it up.  So I sold/traded for some shit.
No Focus Pocus

Demon Lung

Quote from: RAGER on August 10, 2013, 12:29:25 PM
Hung onto some gear for about 2 years.  no phone number but I ran into him twice and his brother once and he still never picked it up.  So I sold/traded for some shit.
never said hey man you left your crap at my house do you want to come get it? Never occurred to you that maybe they forgot it was there. A friendly reminder probably would have been nice.

Jake

Anything that's in my house for more than 5 mins is mine. Including, but not limited to; children, credit cards, and pants.
poop.

RAGER

Quote from: Demon Lung on August 10, 2013, 12:34:18 PM
Quote from: RAGER on August 10, 2013, 12:29:25 PM
never said hey man you left your crap at my house do you want to come get it? Never occurred to you that maybe they forgot it was there. A friendly reminder probably would have been nice.

Are you fucking stupid?  Can't fucking read?  Probably both.
No Focus Pocus

Jor el

Hey Chef Boyardee,

Let's leave the jackassory in GD.
What Would Scooby Do ?

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

Demon Lung

I was just asking a question. You didn't have to go full douche on me but I guess that's to be expected everywhere on this forum with you these days. Can't even ask you a simple question. But that's ok. I'm done with this and I'm respecting the rules of the jam room.

VOLVO)))

"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Lumpy

Quote from: Ranbat on August 10, 2013, 10:33:55 AM
I've have gotten ahold of them to remind them that their stuff is here. But, I should probably make a last attempt and notify them that I will be getting rid of it one way or the other.

If you haven't told them you're ready to sell their stuff before, then it's not a last attempt yet. Give them a couple warnings. You could also offer to split the Ebay money... let them get something out of it.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

The Shocker

Ranbat

Somewhere around there. I tried it when we were jamming, but never found a sound I dug. Dude moved to Colorado and I haven't heard from him in awhile.

bbottom

I had a dude leave a 90's Ampeg Reverbarocket combo amp at my place for like 6 months. I must've called and email him 50 times about it. And I never heard back from him, he just kind of dropped off the face of the earth.
I ended up selling it and even though I was totally in the right, I felt pretty bad about it. If I knew where the guy lived I would've dropped it off at his place. But he only jammed with me like twice.

The Shocker

I left a shotgun with my college roommate about 20 years ago.  I guess it's his now.

mortlock

Quote from: bbottom on August 10, 2013, 11:14:43 PM
I had a dude leave a 90's Ampeg Reverbarocket combo amp at my place for like 6 months. I must've called and email him 50 times about it. And I never heard back from him, he just kind of dropped off the face of the earth.
I ended up selling it and even though I was totally in the right, I felt pretty bad about it. If I knew where the guy lived I would've dropped it off at his place. But he only jammed with me like twice.
a dude that flaky..what are the odds the amp was his??

jibberish

send me the sm58. i'll soak it in chlorox or something. i'll send you $20 and shipping and some king's x cd's as a bonus.

Danny G

When my first band broke up the drummer left his China crash in my parents garage which stayed there for a year and a half.

After I didn't hear from him about it for about a year I tried to contact him. Number changed.

So after a year and I half I finally pawned it cause I couldn't reach him, he never contacted me, and didn't know what to do with it.

I didn't feel great about it, but that's what happened.

Sent from a can on some string using Tapatalk
The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com