Main Menu

Driving a Big Muff pedal.

Started by MR. CREEPER, August 05, 2013, 06:18:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MR. CREEPER

Hey all. Lately, during some writing and demo recording, I was looking to use more fuzz in my tone, but I was always a bit skeptical of my Muff, due to a lack of some attack for any palm muted notes. I had read recently a different website that suggested driving the Muff with an OD with level slightly up, and gain set low. Well, this works great, and still retains a nice, fat fuzz sound. Figured I'd share, and see if anyone else has tried, or has similar tips. Cheers.

neighbor664

I haven't tried with the Muff in a while, I am skeptical that it would tighten it up.  What I do know is that doing that works great for my FZ-2. That shit sputters and farts in a beautifully ugly way when I hit it with my OD808.

MR. CREEPER

Nice. I saw a demo with the FZ-5 and and OD. Seemed pretty cool. I used to have an early '90's Classi cFuzz from DOD, and that thing was great.

Corey Y

I've used a tubescreamer in front of a muff, to tighten it up a bit. A treble booster might do the trick as well. It takes a bit of fine tuning.

eyeprod

My muff is modded pretty heavily but I find that it beefs up with the distortion slightly up on my sunn concert lead. I don't know about tighter but I like the sound
CV - Slender Fungus

RacerX

I can't stand Big Muffs, specifically because of that looseness. If a pedal needs to be modded to sound good, I don't really see the point. There are plenty of fuzzes available hat sound great right outta the box.

In the interest of complete honesty, I did mod my Meathead and my Crybaby to add "on/off" indicator LEDs, but that was just for visual reference.
Livin' The Life.

bbottom

Quote from: RacerX on August 06, 2013, 12:24:46 PM
I can't stand Big Muffs, specifically because of that looseness. If a pedal needs to be modded to sound good, I don't really see the point. There are plenty of fuzzes available hat sound great right outta the box.

I totally agree.

I've also really tried to like the Big Muff (I've owned two) and it just isn't for me.

MR. CREEPER

I truly ove the black Russina Muuf pi, but a)they are hard to come by cheaply, and b) now the tone I get is right there(as in same as Black Russian Muff). I can deal. May look elsewhere some day, but I like originals not copycats so much.

Lumpy

I don't like Muffs, but they are a cheap pedal to modify, if you know what you're doing. Used Muffs are everywhere for 50 bucks. Or spend 150 bucks on a clone, it's up to you.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

johnny problem

I used to run a Blues Driver in front of the muff and a DS-1 distortion after and it was on my dirty channel (one up bitches, jk).  It was disgusting.  Needed so much fine tuning, mostly on the muff.  I got rid of that pedal setup and just bought a black forest.  I've tried using the blues driver in front of the BF, but the Blues driver sucks ass.

Instant Dan

I believe Church of Misery still uses the set-up of an OD into a muff for the guitar sound.

moose23

I like either another muff (tone bypassed not too loud) or something like an LBP1 or Rangemaster boost.

Ombrenuit

+1 for black muffs. Sold mine years ago and I regret it now.

Chovie D

I lucked into a ramshead big muff for $100 (paid $300 for everything in the picture). it is an amazing pedal. the newer muffs ive tried were garbage.

spookstrickland

Muff's are great, play them as is for a huge fat rhythm tone, then kick in a boost in front of them for a sharper lead tone.  I built a Silicon Rangemaster derivative that works really nice with it.
I'm beginning to think God was an Astronaut.
www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

MR. CREEPER

Yeah, I've been keepin' an eye out for older Muff unit's, or assimilated goodies of the like.