Main Menu

Reverse Noise Gate?

Started by black aspirin, August 02, 2013, 11:29:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

black aspirin

I haven't recorded anything in years, and have barely picked up a guitar over that same time span.  I just decided to get back into it, and bought BFD2 drum software and the BFD Deluxe 'Steve Albini' upgrade.

I started out recording on a Roland VS-2000 24-track, and stumbled upon a feature it had called a 'reverse noise gate'.  I was fucking around with a tune at the time, and came up with this by using it for the drum sound:

http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?songid=4108314&q=hi&newref=1

Regardless of whether you like it or not (I only want to use the effect on this one tune), is there something to download that I can use now?  I'm using Mackie Tracktion 3, and haven't found the 'reverse noise gate' feature in any of the effects I can download to work with it.

Any help is appreciated; thanks.
This Juan goes to 11.

The Shocker

What is the Steve Albini upgrade?  Makes it sound like Roland from the Big Black Days?

jibberish

look for free effect plug ins. even reaper comes with an assload of free plugin effects.

I love roland effects modules. they do such cool shit. that's the only reason I want to get my dead vs-880 going again. I have the dual effect chips and I loved those roland vs effects.

Lumpy

Quote from: The Shocker on August 03, 2013, 12:39:50 AM
What is the Steve Albini upgrade?  Makes it sound like Roland from the Big Black Days?

He's supposed to get great sounding recordings, so it's probably drum samples using the same mics, drums, mic placement, etc etc, that he likes.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

liquidsmoke

Interesting, sounds backwards.

Chovie D

first of all, cool track.

I know what youre talkin about, i loved the effects on those Rolandvs stations, sold mine a few years back, dont regret it. yamaha GEP50 also had some awesome gating effects...this is 80's stuff, LOL.

check KVR for free vsts. 518 results here for "gate" youd have to investigae to see if any do reverse.
http://www.kvraudio.com/q.php?search=1&q=gate&sw=0&type=0&os=0&format=0

I looked around a bit and coulndt find anything that was a dedicated reverse gate, but theres tons of fancy free gates out there maybe one of em does it? people seem to like Floorfish
http://www.digitalfishphones.com/main.php?item=2&subItem=5

black aspirin

Thanks for the advice.  I'll keep looking.  The Roland has some sweet effects and presets, but I gotta move forward...can do so much more on the computer.

Yeah, the Albini thing is BFD Deluxe, an expansion pack for the BFD2 program.  Click on the sample songs at the right of this page to hear it.  Sounds incredible; I can't wait to get this shit going (having trouble getting it all installed on my new Mac - I hate dealing with setup bullshit).  Listen to the 'drums only' tracks:

http://www.fxpansion.com/index.php?page=3
This Juan goes to 11.

jibberish

alternate perspectives:

-If that vs recorder is yours, call it a really big pedal for reverse gating. only dust it off for that application.

-Make a library while you have access to the vs. Process a bunch of sound clips or drum hits etc

-Horse around with more common effects, then reverse it and see if you can emulate that effect. once you have it nailed, copy-n-paste to infinity

very interesting track. when the heavy gets the creepy, that rules.

the 4 track cassette ruled for reversing stuff. you could revers 30 minutes just by flipping the tape over hahaha

jibberish

I posted this in blog thread.  mistake. this is where this belongs:

BA check this thread out on some bb. read the whole thing. he was trying to clean out some vocals and was looking for a reverse noise gate. at first no one understood and they first explained a noise gate, then, OH you want serious compression and a super hard cutoff limiter, heh.
the dude was very patient , then it got to those karaoke-izers that are supposed to remove vocals. finally he figured it out himself heh. awesome thread when you follow the thought pattern.

so here is my take:
1)-noise gate everything you want to keep. in other words set the threshold of the noisegate where it cuts the reverbed drums off right after the hit fades. I guess you want as close as that initial transient "tick" as you can get. samples make this possible too I think. a real drummer couldnt hug the threshold without dipping volume and gating one of the attacks.
2)-save this heavily gated track
3) invert this heavily gated track. now your surviving, non-gated(ie audible) drum attacks have their phase reversed
4) combine this phase reversed, gated track with a copy of the original.
5)if it works out, the phase reversed drum hits cancel the original ones. as soon as the phase reversed track hits the gated(silenced) parts, there is no cancellation and only the original track material BELOW the gate threshold is still there.

make sense?  I love when shit works out nice with common stuff. hats off to that rye guy in that thread heh.

http://www.studiotrax.net/forums/showthread.php?s=3269a7fa984a2bbc93c3a80bd7795ec3&t=49702&page=2

you have synth drums. I believe you can drum like drummer and dial up the volume of all hits to always exceed a threshold when it plays a hit sample. I think you actually have the best setup to human drum reverse noise gate drums, is what im saying. nice.