Where does one post music online nowadays? *old man alert?

Started by Chovie D, April 08, 2013, 12:19:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chovie D

I used ot upload em to myspace back in the stoneage...what do peole do now?
bandcamp?
the name is less than inspiring...

my goal is to juts post a song or two? thanks fo
r helping your elders

Metal and Beer

Soundcloud for just a song or three maybe? I don't have experience w/ SC myself.

We used Bandcamp a few years ago (and plan to again soon) with ease and good result..I guess Reverbnation is an option too ?
"Would it kill you fellas to play some Foghat?"

liquidsmoke

Bandcamp lets you allow folks to pay what they want or a minimum price you set which could be $0. Youtube with the right tags is a good way to get music heard. Soundcloud is free and pretty neat. There are others and I don't remember their names at the moment.

edit: M&B got in there before I saw him

khoomeizhi

bandcamp seems to be more geared towards albums. soundcloud is pretty good for single tracks. don't Have experience with reverbnation
let's dispense the unpleasantries

RAGER

If you do soundcloud there's already an icon in the reply section for ease of posting.
No Focus Pocus

AgentofOblivion

ReverbNation puts a maximum file size that makes putting decent quality mp3s for 5 minute+ songs just not really an option.  You have to either sacrifice quality or pay for some premium membership.  SoundCloud gives you a certain amount of time for free (an hour I think) and it can be any quality from mp3s to full WAVs.  You can also define "sets", which are just a collection of tracks if you want to put a whole album up.  I haven't really used bandcamp.

eyeprod

CV - Slender Fungus

Chovie D

thanks, created a soundcloud account, twas easy...might post something later, cheers all.

JemDooM

I like soundcloud a lot its easy for artists and listeners alike,...

I think bandcamp charges fees doesn't it?
DooM!

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

I,Galactus

http://bandcamp.com/pricing

QuoteThe basic service is free. There are no signup costs, and no listing fees. We make money via a revenue share on sales: 15% on digital, 10% on merch.

"Why don't you take a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut? Why don't you take a flying fuck at the mooooooooooooon?"

Corey Y

I do my personal stuff, gear demos and whatnot, on Soundcloud and my band tracks on Bandcamp. Just because Bandcamp has everything setup to do album downloads with attachments and you can set up for paid downloads and merch sales if you want.

liquidsmoke

I haven't uploaded anything to Bandcamp yet but think it's one of the greatest things the internet has given humanity.

Pissy

Old thread I know...

Here's my dilemma:

Any album I physically put up for sale on Bandcamp - and provide digitally, has the tag to it that a digital version is immediately available for download upon purchase.  We paid good money to have download cards for our LPs.  This feature negates the value of that entirely.

Is this the nature of the beast or is there something I can do to remove it that little bit, while still maintaining a digital version on the site?
Vinyls.   deal.

everdrone

I think really that utilizing all of the above site and youtube etc is best, get your music out any way you can and dont worry about selling it, just worry about getting people to your shows

I listen to all music on Spotify and Pandora, so if I were in a band I would want my music on that too

not many buy music these days, but people want to hear before they show up at a gig

this venue in Austin for instance has the band put everything on reverbnation so people can preview for instance:
https://dirtydogbar.com/SHOWS.html

so if you wanna play at that venue for instance its good to just upload your mp3s onto reverbnation

JemDooM

Pissy it doesn't look like you can prevent the 'immediate download with purchase' thing, maybe unless you have bandcamp pro? The same thing happened with ours recently where we printed out all the download codes then discovered we needn't have bothered! I guess it's just a lesson learned not to go out of your way with that in the future...

I hadn't thought of Spotify or Pandora good call...
DooM!

mutantcolors

Bandcamp is the best, plain and simple. They don't try to sell you shit, ever. IF and ONLY IF you elect to put a price tag on your stuff, do they skim a small piece off of the sales. Audio quality is top notch. Single tracks are very easy to do, it's not geared towards albums, but it is a great format for full albums because of how it's put together.

You can disable downloads, you can make 'em free, you can charge for 'em. With the fan pages starting to take off, it really is the place to be IMO.

Pissy

Quote from: JemDooM on December 01, 2013, 06:33:46 AM
Pissy it doesn't look like you can prevent the 'immediate download with purchase' thing, maybe unless you have bandcamp pro? The same thing happened with ours recently where we printed out all the download codes then discovered we needn't have bothered! I guess it's just a lesson learned not to go out of your way with that in the future...

I hadn't thought of Spotify or Pandora good call...

If you list your music with CD baby then all of those streaming sites get your music.  Spotify, Pandora, Grooveshark and tons of others that none of us have heard of, all get digital files from CD baby.  Not sure if Last.fm is one that receives, or if that's user upload.
Vinyls.   deal.