Main Menu

Musicians Wanted Thread

Started by Discö Rice, March 13, 2013, 06:40:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Discö Rice

Do we have one of these yet? If not, maybe a sticky is warranted? Maybe not. We all know each other for the most part. I dunno. Anyway I just posted this on FB and thought I'd re-post here.

Hey New York City area jerks! Having recently split from my last band I am now a free agent, which is fine, except that I don't know many people out here that play the heavy. I feel it's better to ask among friends/friendly acquaintances before I screw around too seriously with Craigslist. I play drums. You probably know that. I'm pretty good at it, which you may not know. I love (the) Melvins, Harvey Milk, Swans, and lots of other screwball/heavy bands. I'm a bit of a noise/feedback/volume perv. I also enjoy the late afternoon sun shining through green mid-summer leaves and gentle breezes that wrap around one's body like the living memory of a long-lost lover. Sound good? Hit me up, that we may disturb load bearing members together, as Crom intended. White Chocolate Giddy-up!
Somebody's gonna eat my pussy or I'm gonna cut your fucking throat.

Metal and Beer

I'd totally answer that ad (in a positive fashion), damn the miles and miles of miles !

We might sticky the sumbitch if it gets enough juice; few topics do though, due to the overall relative light traffic--even the two we have barely need it

I'd post something here, but there's extremely little chance I'd snare someone local who I don't already know about/love/hate/been in a band with/in a band with
"Would it kill you fellas to play some Foghat?"

Discö Rice

Quote from: Metal and Beer on March 13, 2013, 06:47:34 PM
I'd totally answer that ad (in a positive fashion), damn the miles and miles of miles !

And I would reply excitedly to your reply. Damn the miles, indeed. :/

neighbor664

I'm thinking we don't have the volume of traffic for a wanted thread to become too useful.
I'm gonna guess that the handful of folks who happen to be geographically compatible in what ever part of the world they reside may even already know each other.
A major metropolis like NYC might be an exception.

However, it can't hurt if it gives those who are inclined to do so a chance to critique your post for the purpose of fine tuning and constructive criticism.

AgentofOblivion

I think it would be cool to start some projects with forum members that contribute electronically.  For instance somebody write a riff, beat, baseline...etc to get things started.  Other people grab it and add their contributions.  Given that there could potentially be different versions then other people could choose which version they want to contribute to...and so on.  We could write a whole forum album where the band members are dynamic and different from song to song.  Could be pretty sweet.  If it's any good we could even sell it as a compilation album.  I do have an online store that can host downloads after all. 

black

I'm not looking for a drummer, but I'm quite interested in enjoying the late afternoon sun shining through green mid-summer leaves and gentle breezes that wrap around one's body like the living memory of a long-lost lover, with one.

/wrongthread?
At Least I Don't Have The Clap.

Discö Rice

Quote from: neighbor664 on March 13, 2013, 10:12:02 PM
I'm thinking we don't have the volume of traffic for a wanted thread to become too useful.
I'm gonna guess that the handful of folks who happen to be geographically compatible in what ever part of the world they reside may even already know each other.
A major metropolis like NYC might be an exception.

However, it can't hurt if it gives those who are inclined to do so a chance to critique your post for the purpose of fine tuning and constructive criticism.

Agreed.

Quote from: AgentofOblivion on March 14, 2013, 10:58:08 AM
I think it would be cool to start some projects with forum members that contribute electronically.  For instance somebody write a riff, beat, baseline...etc to get things started.  Other people grab it and add their contributions.  Given that there could potentially be different versions then other people could choose which version they want to contribute to...and so on.  We could write a whole forum album where the band members are dynamic and different from song to song.  Could be pretty sweet.  If it's any good we could even sell it as a compilation album.  I do have an online store that can host downloads after all. 

This has been done to varying degrees of success. Seems like fun.

Quote from: black on March 14, 2013, 11:08:01 AM
I'm not looking for a drummer, but I'm quite interested in enjoying the late afternoon sun shining through green mid-summer leaves and gentle breezes that wrap around one's body like the living memory of a long-lost lover, with one.

/wrongthread?

BrianDamage

I doubt anyone here is from Tulsa, OK but if there is... I am a bassist/guitarist/not super awesome vocalist and currently looking for people to jam with.
"My son Jack just got out of rehab, he's 17 years old and he got hooked on Oxycontin and I'm just a little pissed off that he never gave me a few."

Ozzy Osbourne - 2003

mortlock

i am available to freelance some power electronics up into your shit if you so desire..pm me..

I,Galactus

Is it lame as shit to respond to musicians wanted ads if I don't have an amp?

No pro gear, no pro attitude.  :(
"Why don't you take a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut? Why don't you take a flying fuck at the mooooooooooooon?"

Metal and Beer

LOL..."No Flakes!"  Uh, you're dealing with musicians
"Would it kill you fellas to play some Foghat?"

Chovie D

we put "you must drink beer ot be in this band" on our ad...not to be smart asses, we were serious. we knew if you didnt drink beer you couldnt really be in our band. Beer was like the fourth member of the band. One guy called and asked if we were serious about the beer thing, we said yes and didnt audition him. :D

he was probably fucking awesome too >:(

we had some fucked up ideas about what a band should be...buts thats what made us...us.

Mr. Foxen

Quote from: I,Galactus on March 15, 2013, 11:21:41 AM
Is it lame as shit to respond to musicians wanted ads if I don't have an amp?

No pro gear, no pro attitude.  :(

When I was advertising for a guitarist for my really amp oriented drone project, I noted that I don't care what amp you have, as long as you know it really well. Still got guy messaging saying he didn't have an amp yet but would be getting one soon. It's all about context.

EddieMullet

If you at least have your own guitar or bass you might be able to work around the not having an amp.  An amp can be rented or borrowed bass can be run through the PA.  I've had a few times when money was tight and I didn't own a working amp, but I still managed.

You can't be picky if you're scrounging for gear. Be grateful for anything anybody will to loan you don't bitch about it no matter how crappy you think it is.

Lumpy

Quote from: Discö Rice on March 13, 2013, 06:40:20 PM
Do we have one of these yet? If not, maybe a sticky is warranted? Maybe not. We all know each other for the most part. I dunno. Anyway I just posted this on FB and thought I'd re-post here.

Hey New York City area jerks! Having recently split from my last band I am now a free agent, which is fine, except that I don't know many people out here that play the heavy. I feel it's better to ask among friends/friendly acquaintances before I screw around too seriously with Craigslist. I play drums. You probably know that. I'm pretty good at it, which you may not know. I love (the) Melvins, Harvey Milk, Swans, and lots of other screwball/heavy bands. I'm a bit of a noise/feedback/volume perv. I also enjoy the late afternoon sun shining through green mid-summer leaves and gentle breezes that wrap around one's body like the living memory of a long-lost lover. Sound good? Hit me up, that we may disturb load bearing members together, as Crom intended. White Chocolate Giddy-up!

You been getting any Craigslist responses? I was at the practice space today, and your drums seemed lonely (I'm going Sunday afternoon too, BTW)

IMO, you gotta run your Craigslist ad every week, or more often (twice a week). I think some people aren't smart enough to search on keywords (I guess) and they only sift through the recent ads. Also, it shows persistence/seriousness. Anywhoo, even if you don't believe all that, don't run your ad just one time.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

I,Galactus

Quote from: Lumpy on March 17, 2013, 01:10:41 AM
IMO, you gotta run your Craigslist ad every week, or more often (twice a week).

Yep, bump that shit DR.

Quote from: EddieMullet on March 16, 2013, 11:10:37 AMIf you at least have your own guitar or bass you might be able to work around the not having an amp.  An amp can be rented or borrowed bass can be run through the PA.  I've had a few times when money was tight and I didn't own a working amp, but I still managed.

You can't be picky if you're scrounging for gear. Be grateful for anything anybody will to loan you don't bitch about it no matter how crappy you think it is.

Yeah, I've at least got a les paul studio and a pedal pre.  Might give it a shot.  The other things I'm short on are time and dedication (no tours ever, plz).

/flakin'
"Why don't you take a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut? Why don't you take a flying fuck at the mooooooooooooon?"

Discö Rice

It's true - my drums are lonely, but I've been busy with my move into the city. I finally got the clamp-on spurs for my 28x14 bass drum, so I'm going to bring that over to the space and see if I can sell one or two of my 22x16 bass drums over at Bushwick Supply and put that money toward something useful.

I'll re-post the ad, but I think I need to be clearer about what I'd like to do. Why anyone would think I meant Nickelback or Sunny Day Real Estate when I said Harvey Milk, Swans, and Melvins is beyond me. :(

Lumpy

Quote from: Discö Rice on March 18, 2013, 02:31:42 PM
I'll re-post the ad, but I think I need to be clearer about what I'd like to do. Why anyone would think I meant Nickelback or Sunny Day Real Estate when I said Harvey Milk, Swans, and Melvins is beyond me. :(

Because they don't know those bands very well? Or maybe they're drawing different associations then you do? Like Melvins/Sunny Day Real Estate = Sup Pop rock. Nickleback/Harvey Milk = heart-felt vocals. "Same/Same".

Craigs List is full of dopes, plow through it.

What about ads on other forums... DFFD (doomed forever forever doomed), the Obelisk, Nuclear War Now. Does Invisible Oranges have a forum? Brooklyn Vegan? Put an ad up at the Brewery practice space and the bulletin board at our space. There's another branch in Williamsburg, see if you can sneak in there and post an ad.

Discö Rice

Quote from: Lumpy on March 18, 2013, 03:54:03 PM
Quote from: Discö Rice on March 18, 2013, 02:31:42 PM

Because they don't know those bands very well? Or maybe they're drawing different associations then you do? Like Melvins/Sunny Day Real Estate = Sup Pop rock. Nickleback/Harvey Milk = heart-felt vocals. "Same/Same".

Craigs List is full of dopes, plow through it.

What about ads on other forums... DFFD (doomed forever forever doomed), the Obelisk, Nuclear War Now. Does Invisible Oranges have a forum? Brooklyn Vegan? Put an ad up at the Brewery practice space and the bulletin board at our space. There's another branch in Williamsburg, see if you can sneak in there and post an ad.
Yeah. I'm 'onna wait until I get moved to repost a new version of the ad. I don't have time to interact with anyone in that fashion until April anyhow. Soon, though.

Lumpy

chille01

I've had good success with the half serious/half smart ass adds.  As in, make sure the add states what you are and aren't looking for, but with a bit of humor so as to not come off like a super rock star douche bag.  This is the add we got our latest (#5) bass player with:

Bass Person Required for Established Group of Sweaty Rock and Roll Dirtbags

We play loud, greasy, rock and roll/punk rock.  Think Turbonegro, AC/DC, Motorhead, The Supersuckers, The Hellacopters, Humble Pie, Nashville Pussy, Tricky Woo, C'Mon, Bad Wizard, Cherry Valence, Deep Purple, and any number of other like minded bands.  We do this with drums, two guitars, and – until recently – bass.  We all take turns being the lead-shouter-into-microphoner.  We have done this in front of people in Vancouver since 2005, and have recorded ourselves doing this and released it twice on CD and recently a third time on CD and Vinyl.  We also have really hilarious T-shirts and stickers.  We sell all of this stuff at shows, and hope to continue to do so. 

People get drunk and yell enthusiastically at us and buy our stuff, so we think we're doing it right.

We practice doing this one night a week, from around 6:30-11:00.  We also go out of town and do this occasionally, and have subjected Vancouver Island, Interior BC, and Alberta to our noise several times.   We hope to make people on the West Coast of the US listen to it next. We are all "old", as in we've got day jobs and bills and no illusions about being career musicians, but still young and motivated enough to do all of the above.  Serious hobbyists, if you will.

We need a new bass player because our old one recently found the Lord, and has denounced our music as "the work of the Devil". We need someone who likes to rock, and can play.  We're not Rush or Styx or anything, and we don't usually stray too far from the four chords and a bitchin' hot guitar solo formula, but we do want someone who can play some melodic, interesting lines and do a little more than hold down the root note.  That being said, sometimes the right thing to do IS to hold down the root note, and we hope you don't consider this beneath you. 

So, if you'd like to rock and *make tens and tens of dollars doing it – get in touch.

*Disclaimer – You probably won't actually get paid

bass sic

I would totally answer the above ad. In fact I would stalk and bother you till I got in the band.

Chovie D

when your looking for a band or musicians...its important to tell everyone you know you're lookin, just like when you're looking for a job. You never know when youre gonna tell some schmoe you work with and hes gonna be like, "oh yeah I know a band thats lookin", or "my cousin is a great drummer", etc. *amatuer tip

who here lives in seattle and plays bass or guitar or keys?

RAGER

^^ this method has always worked for me.  I haven't put an ad out in many years.
No Focus Pocus

Chovie D

do both for sure but dont  neglect just tellin everyone you know. go into a music store to buy strings or look at gear? when you leave tell the dude behind the counter you're lookin for bass player, does he know anyone?...etc.