What are YOU up to, DIY/projectwise? Ask for help?

Started by VOLVO))), February 16, 2013, 11:02:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VOLVO)))

"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

The Shocker

VOLVO)))

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

eyeprod

that was a very good diy plastisol printing post. all pretty much spot. good info for beginners, though much of the details have to be learned the hard way, I think.

discharge inks nowadays can give you good white coverage on black fabric, but it's not as forgiving as plastisol, esp. for short runs. It does print very nice and soft, so that's a consideration for shirts and other wearables. Not so much for patches.

CV - Slender Fungus

Corey Y

My DIY project this whole last week has been installing new windows in our house. I should have the last one in tomorrow. I took the weekend off though and finished up a project for a buddy. He has an old unloaded Marshall 8x10 guitar cab and wanted to convert it to a 4x12. He asked me to make him a new angled baffle, so I took a stab at it. He's putting new grill cloth on it, installing it back into the cab and loading it up this week, so we'll see how it sounds. Here's the original baffle and the new one side by side.

Didn't have any time to work on the pine p-bass in the last couple weeks. Since the last time I posted about it though, I've got the cavities cleaned up to the proper depth, installed the neck and lined up the bridge placement. I just need to drill the holes for the bridge and carve the contours before I start finishing it.

liquidsmoke

What's the best place online to order guitar parts? Like pup rings, strap screws, etc.

VOLVO)))

Quote from: liquidsmoke on May 28, 2013, 12:43:15 AM
What's the best place online to order guitar parts? Like pup rings, strap screws, etc.

guitarfetish.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

liquidsmoke

Quote from: SunnO))) on May 28, 2013, 12:46:13 AM
Quote from: liquidsmoke on May 28, 2013, 12:43:15 AM

guitarfetish.

Thank ya. Dig that BG logo by the way.

showdown

Finally getting around to finishing one of the Telemasters. This is after 4 coats of stain. The first coat of black stain had a blue/purple hue so I mixed some walnut stain into the following black coats. I'll put 4-5 coats of Tru-oil on top.

VOLVO)))

Looks good, I like oil finishes, but I'm moving away from them on bodies...

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

I,Galactus

Quote from: SunnO))) on May 28, 2013, 10:01:26 AM

Why come?
"Why don't you take a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut? Why don't you take a flying fuck at the mooooooooooooon?"

VOLVO)))

Quote from: I,Galactus on May 28, 2013, 10:06:50 AM

Why come?

Wanna start painting, I got my feet wet on a strat body and learned a fair portion of what NOT to do (not filling the grain, etc.) and it came out pretty damn-decent on a first try. Oil finishes are cool, but I'm pretty sure I'm in the phase where and oiled walnut tele would look funny on stage with me since I'm in a black metal band? gutted out single pickup pointy guitars for me.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

The Bandit

Quote from: SunnO))) on May 28, 2013, 10:12:30 AM
Quote from: I,Galactus on May 28, 2013, 10:06:50 AM

Why come?

Wanna start painting, I got my feet wet on a strat body and learned a fair portion of what NOT to do (not filling the grain, etc.) and it came out pretty damn-decent on a first try. Oil finishes are cool, but I'm pretty sure I'm in the phase where and oiled walnut tele would look funny on stage with me since I'm in a black metal band? gutted out single pickup pointy guitars for me.

Rubs hands together with glee.  Will be sending you that Yamaha shortly...   ;)

VOLVO)))

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Jake

That black stained Telemaster body sho' is purty. Rrrreal purty. Keep the pics coming on those builds.
poop.

jibberish

wish I had the patience to build a guitar, and nice shop equipment sure doesn't hurt.

sunno, if you are going to paint bodies in solid colors, try bondo-ing the body first. you absolutely positively cannot sand grain out of wood. the differences in hardness will always fuck you up, so you bury the grain in bondo. there is thick liquid finishing bondo.  my auto body pal and I completely rebuilt his front screen porch and we made all the sills faux car finish. they were really plywood heh. once you are bondo-ed, you use stock standard car finishing techniques which leaves all options and anything you see on a car , you can have on your guitar.   you should see the paint jobs he puts onto those plastic patio chairs heh, with spare paint. 

khoomeizhi

if you're using a couple coats of primer and sanding it, should take care of much of the grain coming through, no?
let's dispense the unpleasantries

James1214

there is no need to use bondo, a polyester based filler is used on many guitars because it is a "quick and easy" way to attain a smooth finish, however sanding and then using a grain filler, then sanding again will allow for smooth as glass finishes. I use a clear grain filler for cabinetry all the time, this is for situations where it is necessary to see the wood grain ie stained surfaces/clear coat and bondo is an impossibility....

rambling

BTW this is what i use

words

VOLVO)))

It's a synthetic shellac? I think paint grade is bondo worthy, I use it on my paint pieces.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

jibberish

ya , all that shit is the same thing: a hard-when-cured, resin-based deal that is harder than the wood. same game all across the boards heh. you probably could use grain filler on a car in a pinch too, in place of the liquid finishing bondo.

I am definitely going to talk to my pal about shooting guitar bodies tho. he is a crazy artisan in a way.  he masked and sprayed about 20 layers of stuff on a glass table top that is fucking sick. he can match paint by eye.   tell you what all the colors are in any paint job...crazy. great to be around to absorb his wisdom.

VOLVO)))

Bondo glazing putty is the best. No mixing. If i need to do a big area? I go full bondo.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Corey Y

After a long break, due to a bunch of remodeling work on my house, I finally got the contours done on my pine p-bass body. I had done a bunch of practices with an angle grinder (using a flap sander disc) and block sanding, but something went screwy with my angle grinder when I went to change the disc. So I ended up doing with a rasp, file and block sanding. I roughed out the shape with the rasp, making a bunch of facets and then flattening them out, then smoothed it down with file and finished up with the block sander going from 60-120 grit. Then I rounded off the edges to match the roundover on the body, with the file and some hand sanding. Just did that by eye until I thought it looked good. It was a lot more time and elbow grease to do it this way than what I practiced with the grinder, but still not that bad considering how soft the pine is.

Now I just need to finish sand it down to 220 and start the prepping for painting.

showdown

Quote from: khoomeizhi on June 02, 2013, 10:43:24 AM
if you're using a couple coats of primer and sanding it, should take care of much of the grain coming through, no?

I liked the look of this one so I decided to keep the pores open, if I was using lacquer I'd definitely have to fill the grain.

This body met the floor in an unfortunate way a couple days ago. I had to sand it down and steam out the dents (turned out fine, btw), but it's roughly back to the same condition as in the picture now.

khoomeizhi

i like how that looks, too. the grain comment was for the bondohounds.
let's dispense the unpleasantries