Main Menu

Kramer aluminum necks

Started by Lewis, February 16, 2013, 08:55:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lewis

What are these bass and guitars like? I am thinking about getting one. The price has seemed to jump up too. Less then 5 years ago I could find them in great condition for under $500 now the are well over a grand. How heavy are these? Any input is appreciated...

VOLVO)))

I've got a stagemaster imperial with an aluminum neck. It's... 13-15 pounds. Ain't no thang for me, I like weight to my basses and guitars.

They're awesome. Blame Electrical for reigniting the aluminum neck craze.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Lewis

Ok thanks. I figured these would have some weight. I used to have a rick4003s and that thing felt like a lumbering tree limb to me. I figured these kramers would be about the same. Now if I could find a short scale aluminum neck bass, I'd be all over that. Thanks...

These kramers heavy on the sustain? I love making drones n such...

VOLVO)))

Get one machined. All you have to do is bring the machinist a neck you want replicated, and he can do it. Probably for... 700$? Custom neck? I would do that shit in a heartbeat.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Mr. Foxen

I have a Kramer neck on its way currently. Once I have it, I can start making them based on it, but I'm going to go for a Fender compatible heel. Some money up front type preorders would be good to fund it, otherwise I have to tie up amp sale money.

VOLVO)))

Oli, What neck? Who's doin' the fretwork? What're you gonna charge? Lemme get some figures, If you get a fender heel that I can put on a JB or PB, I might get hands at you. Don't use that fucking phenolic material for the fretboard, plz.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Mr. Foxen

I'll probably get precut fretboards, I can do fretwork myself. Main issue is affixing the board to the neck in such a way it won't separate when subjected to temperature changes, I'd assume that was the reason for the phenolic. Its a 450b neck. I'm going to try PU adhesive I think, stick the neck in the freezer, then in the sun, see if it stays attached. Other plan is screwing the board on through the dot markers but there is scope for a gap and resonances and such there. Not sure what they'll cost at this point, need to get it and take it to the foundry and figure machining costs, all needs having one in hand to do.

nonoman

What was Kramer's name for their fretboards on aluminum necks? Ebanol?  Was that phenolic?
No good deed goes unpunished.

EddieMullet

I have a DMZ 4001 bass and it is the most awesome bass I've ever played.

I was saving up for a Rickenbacker when the opportunity to buy the Kramer came along.

I had to give up on my dream of owning the Rick to buy the Kramer, but it's such an awesome bass I didn't mind and have no regrets.

Even though it is heavy, the Kramer is very comfortable to play and the sustain is damn near endless you can drone for days if you want.

And yes the fretboard is ebanol and it is phenolic, but it doesn't bother me in the least.

Mr. Foxen

I think ebanol is paper impregnated with phenolic resin.

VOLVO)))

Quote from: Mr. Foxen on February 17, 2013, 04:37:14 PM
I think ebanol is paper impregnated with phenolic resin.

Exactly.

I pulled the frets and inlays outta mine. I have to redo them, soon, I'm gettin' the itch for that bass.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

nonoman

No good deed goes unpunished.

VOLVO)))

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

eddiefive10

I had a Kramer once, I bought it on the spot cause it looked so cool, but once I owned it I could never get use to how bright it was, I tried several things to tone it down and gave up on it and sold it

Mr. Foxen

Generally I find the presence of a drummer and cymbals fixes any issues with the brightness from a bass.

Lumpy

Quote from: eddiefive10 on February 18, 2013, 04:47:16 AM
I had a Kramer once, I bought it on the spot cause it looked so cool, but once I owned it I could never get use to how bright it was, I tried several things to tone it down and gave up on it and sold it

I tried my buddy's Kramer, it had a weird metallic PING sound to it, and major neck dive (and heavy). Seemed like it was suited for a Jaco/Stanley Clarke type of player. Not a rock bass. Just a quick impression though.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

EddieMullet

Exactly what Mr. Foxen said.  That's why I like the Kramer so much. When we jam in the garage it sits nice with the drums and cymbals and comes through loud and clear.

I don't have any problem with neck dive, but I do have a Badass I bridge on it and that thing probably weighs a couple of pounds so it balances it out.

Mine also has passive DiMarzio pickups in it not EMGs.

As soon as I figure out how to post a picture I'll put one here.

khoomeizhi

i play a modified 450B. i have no problems with it tonally. i do downtune and use overdrive...and tend to enjoy the applications of fairly nasty distortion. haven't really noticed that much of a neck-dive to it, though i do tend to, you know, hold on to it.
let's dispense the unpleasantries

Jake

I don't know much about how they sound, but I do know just how crazy heavy those basses are. There was one for sale at Cowtown in Vegas for a while. People would buy it online and return it because it was so heavy. I thought they were a bunch of pussies until I picked it up. Then it made sense.
poop.

Metal and Beer

Joe from Pallbearer had (has? He plays a P-bass now) one and it was heavy but didn't seem prohibitively so? I'm a big ol' mug though, I might have better leverage or such. Maybe I'd use it for everything but a six-week tour..
"Would it kill you fellas to play some Foghat?"

mutantcolors

Quote from: EddieMullet on February 18, 2013, 09:04:25 PM
As soon as I figure out how to post a picture I'll put one here.
Host 'em elsewhere (photobucket/imageshack etc) and use "insert image" with the direct link.

khoomeizhi

maybe my frame of reference is fucked up (since i only rarely play those little electric 6-strings), but my bass doesn't seem super-heavy. like dave says, heavy but not prohibitively so. and i'm a pygmy sasquatch compared to him. makes me wonder how much weight variation there is between models...
let's dispense the unpleasantries

Jake

I'm sure, like anything else, there's a variety of weights out there. So YMMV.

The one I picked up was so heavy, for a nanosecond, my brain thought it was a practical joke. I've never picked up a heavier stringed instrument - and I've got a 12 pound Les Paul and a (probably heavier) Dan Armstrong. I also had a Chinese double neck, which I assume was made from cancer lead, asbestos, and toxic epoxy, under 1/128" veneer.
poop.

Lumpy

The difference between 8 or 9 pounds (avg. weight for a P basss) and 11 or 12 pounds (what I would guess a Kramer might weigh). 3 pounds more doesn't seem like that much, but it matters to some people. Especially if you're practicing a few hours a day, standing up. Even 8 pounds can seem heavy. Like maybe you're not very big, or you're female.

I gotta say, my experience was like 25 years ago. The thing I remember the most was the sound (which I didn't vibe with, like I said). The weight and/or neck dive are not distinct memories.

Post your Kramers' weights!!
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

Mr. Foxen

Managed to get the fingerboard off the neck, wood inlays remain stubborn, cut slots in them and soaking them for ages, see if it sweels and separates.