Main Menu

Sunn slave amps

Started by clockwork green, January 24, 2013, 01:51:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clockwork green

I have a Sunn Concer Slave that I've been using for bass (along with a mid-90's SansAmp bass driver for a preamp) just for fucking around on bass at the house. I've been getting the itch to possibly try out for some bands on bass. I'm running a 2x15 loaded with EV's at 4-ohms. I noticed last night that the amp is really clean with no noticeable clipping even on 10. I'm hesitant to crank a solid state amp above half way because years ago at a gig my bass player kept cranking a solid state Carvin amp and it was definitely clipping bad and the speaker ended up catching on fire which was cool but I'd rather not destroy my speakers. I know old Sunn gear seems to operate under a different set of physical laws so am I safe cranking it as long as I'm not hearing power amp clipping?
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

VOLVO)))

Def. Dixie Dave has his concerts with everything set at 10 cept treble...
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

justinhedrick

Quote from: SunnO))) on January 24, 2013, 02:41:53 PM

doesn't dixie have some sort of a custom pedal so he doesn't have to drive his amps so hard now?

VOLVO)))

Quote from: justinhedrick on January 24, 2013, 04:15:05 PM

doesn't dixie have some sort of a custom pedal so he doesn't have to drive his amps so hard now?

He still does, haha.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

justinhedrick

Quote from: SunnO))) on January 24, 2013, 04:21:11 PM
Quote from: justinhedrick on January 24, 2013, 04:15:05 PM

He still does, haha.

but what is the pedal?

Mr. Foxen

That whole thing with clipping amps making speakers die is fiction. Speakers die from too much power, clean or clipped. A clipping SS amp or a speaker being killed sounds like AIDS, so don't sound like AIDS and you'll not break your speakers. Some amps have honest volume knobs that function over their whole rotation, and some don't. Most don't, so will be on max before they are half way round, to impress you into thinking they got twice as loud as they do.

clockwork green

I can see that...either way, when that speaker died it went up pretty good. Being an 18, it had plenty of paper and burned a nice hole in the grill cloth. To my bass players credit, I was extra loud that night and be couldn't hear himself so he kept cranking it.
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"