Main Menu

Actung! Drummers

Started by natehusky, January 17, 2013, 01:11:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VOLVO)))

If you want a tight sound with unported reso heads, tape some memory foam along the bottom of the fucker.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

mutantcolors

Real drummers don't dampen.

<- awaits some photo of a real drummer with a shitload of dampening.

Discö Rice

Yeah man. I hit the drums damn hard and there's never been an instance that I've busted a reso without it getting physically punctured by a stray mic stand on stage or something pokey when loading/offloading. Cutting a shitty hole with scissors sounds like a good way to cause a rip, though. If for some reason I ever buy a non-ported head, I use the hot tin can method to make a port.

I'll throw my own two cents in here and say that a bigger, as in wider drum, will not necessarily sound better with a non-ported head. I could see how a shallow drum, as in 14" deep or shorter would still sound good (or better) non-ported, as the mic would still be close enough to the batter head to get plenty of attack. A longer drum would need a port to get added attack.
Somebody's gonna eat my pussy or I'm gonna cut your fucking throat.

natehusky

What is the classic vistalite 14 x 24 ? I'm gonna port something tomorrow . I'll try the can thing. Just gotta find the right can

Discö Rice

Yeah, most Vistalite bass drums are 14" deep. A soup can works well.

natehusky

Quote from: Discö Rice on January 18, 2013, 03:49:32 PM
Yeah, most Vistalite bass drums are 14" deep. A soup can works well.
it's not too small ?

mutantcolors

If it's big enough to get the head of a kick mic in it, it'll do the trick.

Discö Rice

Quote from: mutantcolors on January 18, 2013, 04:28:34 PM
If it's big enough to get the head of a kick mic in it, it'll do the trick.
^^^what he said.

RAGER

Think Progresso not Campbells
No Focus Pocus

apekillman

why are none of the other drums not ported?  Except the concert toms.   And I always hated that sound.   Big drum, no port, no baffle, tuned correctly = beautiful doom.   Marching band bass drum = no port.   Sounds great

natehusky

Tons are ported in a way . They have that hole in the shell . But I think the main reason is size

mutantcolors

The main reason is sound, using a single microphone on a huge ass drum like that makes a difficult task out of finding all the desirable frequencies one wants to amplify. No kick attack is like the difference between nylon string classical and a raspy, pick scrapy acoustic.

VOLVO)))

Quote from: mutantcolors on January 18, 2013, 02:54:36 PM
Real drummers don't dampen.

<- awaits some photo of a real drummer with a shitload of dampening.

Silly generalization. That's like saying real guitar players don't use master volumes.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Jake

Real guitar players don't dampen.
poop.

RacerX

Does palm muting count?

If so, I'm a complete fraud.
Livin' The Life.

Jake

No, I was referring to wet farts and pee leak, mostly. So you're good.
poop.

RacerX

Crap.  >:(

I never take the stage without my DependsTM these daze...
Livin' The Life.

natehusky

I muffle as little as I can , If I had wanted my drums to sound like cardboard boxes filled with pillows I would have saved a bunch of cash

apekillman

just like bass drums have the vent hole too.   and air escapes from the mounting holes, unless its a virgin shell.

classic bonham size kick is 26

natehusky

My 26 is fine , cut that hole too. Granted it gets a lot less action because its the husky but still . I got both those heads fir my birthday show in October. Anyway . Gif a reso head today . It's black so thumbs down for that . Bout to port it as soon as I find a can

RAGER

You're sittin on one. Oh!!  I'll be here all week.
No Focus Pocus

natehusky

Quote from: RAGER on January 19, 2013, 03:00:37 PM
You're sittin on one. Oh!!  I'll be here all week.
there was a time at the milestone where they had bud light lime cans for a buck. The catch besides it being a bll you has to ask for it in the can , I want it in the can , can I get one in the can . You get the idea . Good times

mutantcolors

Quote from: natehusky on January 19, 2013, 02:34:09 PM
I muffle as little as I can , If I had wanted my drums to sound like cardboard boxes filled with pillows I would have saved a bunch of cash

das what da fuck I'm talkin abooooooot

Let's say it this way: A vast majority drummers who understand how to achieve great tone do not dampen.

natehusky

Quote from: mutantcolors on January 19, 2013, 05:52:05 PM
Quote from: natehusky on January 19, 2013, 02:34:09 PM

das what da fuck I'm talkin abooooooot

Let's say it this way: A vast majority drummers who understand how to achieve great tone do not dampen.
i don't think I'm a good drummer but I think my drums sound good

jibberish

thx for the seriously good learning thread..."I had no idea...."

oh ya, and natehumbly over there. shuddup, you rule.