Main Menu

Actung! Drummers

Started by natehusky, January 17, 2013, 01:11:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

natehusky

I need to get a 24 inch resonant head by Saturday . My bass drum is eating them up left & right . Anyway so I'm looking for suggestions .

RAGER

How is it eating the reso heads?  I don't understand
No Focus Pocus

natehusky

They are splitting , when I got these vistas there was a center cut hole , thT ripped so I got another & put the port in more a traditional spot & ripped again. I can't be the only dude with this problem. It can't just be my heavy foot

VOLVO)))

"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

RacerX

Maybe use gaffer's tape to reinforce the port? That shit is BURLY.
Livin' The Life.

natehusky

Quote from: SunnO))) on January 17, 2013, 02:38:24 PM
Don't port it...
intersting idea for vistas but something tells me it won't sound right

natehusky

Quote from: RacerX on January 17, 2013, 02:56:33 PM
Maybe use gaffer's tape to reinforce the port? That shit is BURLY.
I tried to patch it with gaffers tape & it failed but yeah I plan to use it before it tears this time .

natehusky

Now the question isn't so much how do I stop this from happening . I've got ideas for that . What in looking for is suggestions for a clear front head that I can probably pick up at gc

RAGER

Interesting problem.  perhaps when you are "porting" the hole edge is not clean and therefore giving it a chance to tear right away.  Buy a pre-ported one maybe and if it tears just exchange it every time.
No Focus Pocus

natehusky

Quote from: RAGER on January 17, 2013, 03:13:39 PM
Interesting problem.  perhaps when you are "porting" the hole edge is not clean and therefore giving it a chance to tear right away.  Buy a pre-ported one maybe and if it tears just exchange it every time.
that's the plan for the future , gonna get it printed with the musket king logo & everything . But I'm playing Saturday & am looking to temporarily fix it . Well not temp but something for Saturday

mutantcolors

Don't port it...

I gotta tell ya, as much as you know about geetar equipment, this is just plain silly unless you're...no, there is no unless.

Buy a pre-ported head. Tracing a can with an exacto has been known to yield splits. I use(d) Aquarian regulators. Pro tip: White looks baller.

As for short-term fix? Just remove the busted head. Plenty of kicks have sounded godly with no reso (provided there's some amplification, or the room is tiny.)

natehusky

Quote from: mutantcolors on January 17, 2013, 03:37:45 PM
Don't port it...

I gotta tell ya, as much as you know about geetar equipment, this is just plain silly unless you're...no, there is no unless.

Buy a pre-ported head. Tracing a can with an exacto has been known to yield splits. I use(d) Aquarian regulators. Pro tip: White looks baller.
being in a band with lord finesse & pissy I've picked up my fair share of guitar knowledge , so much so I wanted to learn until I actually tried it .

I usually go with coated ambassadors . I kind of wanted a clear res for the bd because I use a work light to back light me (a trick I picked up from the truck fighters ) & I thought it would be cool with the vistas .

mutantcolors

Probably, just any alternative to the standard black really.

My experience tells me there are reasons not to port, but knowing this board, none of them apply here.

RacerX

I dunno 'bout that. Ask JustJon:

Livin' The Life.

apekillman

Bigger drums sound better with no port

RacerX

All I know is that bass drum sounds like God.
Livin' The Life.

natehusky

Quote from: apekillman on January 17, 2013, 05:54:55 PM
Bigger drums sound better with no port
even acrylics ? This boggles my mind . Maybe I'll try it . Any suggestions for a front head ?

VOLVO)))

I never port my kicks. 24 inch Mapex,  22 inch ludwig, my 18 I run no front head. Which is technically a big port, I guess.

I play a lot of faster shit, lots of blastbeats if that's what you are referring to in terms of "knowing"  the players here.

Anyways, all my kicks sound fat and full without ports.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

VOLVO)))

Also, the tin can method of porting works better than an exacto.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

natehusky

Quote from: SunnO))) on January 17, 2013, 07:12:03 PM
I never port my kicks. 24 inch Mapex,  22 inch ludwig, my 18 I run no front head. Which is technically a big port, I guess.

I play a lot of faster shit, lots of blastbeats if that's what you are referring to in terms of "knowing"  the players here.

Anyways, all my kicks sound fat and full without ports.
I get how wood drums would sound better without a port . Acrylics aren't porous . For some reason I think this would make a big difference

lordfinesse

I support the ported head.. as a sound engineer and as a guy who plays in a band with your big ass kick drum. That said, a solid head is not the end of the world. Either way has pros and cons. I agree though that pre-ported probably won't split as quickly as a hole that you cut.
Billy Squier 24/7

natehusky

The real question is what head to get ? Any suggestions ? I'll buy whatever tomorrow . I'll order whatever later

agent of change

You have that shit lugged on tight, to be busting the resonant head??? Never heard of such a thing. Except once when I cut a shitty hole with a razor way back in high school.

I stopped using resonant heads after a while, just because they were too boomy with one, and I had to keep taking the fucking thing off and putting it back on to play with any batting inside the kick drum for a bit o muffling.

You don't like the sound without the resonant head? I've never played Vistalites.
We didn't come here for economic politics or religious bickering, we came to rock.

natehusky

While I may have cut a shitty hole with a pair of scissors that shit is on finger tight .

I'm not sure if its aesthetics but I hate bass drums or any drums for that matter
Without a resonant head . I think it's because I do like warm boomy drum sounds , the only bass drum muffling I use is 2 felt strips one above & one below where the beater strikes the head .

This thread is telling me that I must stomp that pedal like the hulk . 2 heads in a year  I guess that is something

mutantcolors

I stomp like a fucking hulk and never NEVER busted a reso, not even the one I cut myself. As stated above, I am a big believer in the Aquarian Regulator. And as lordfinesse pointed out, showing up with an unported reso and asking the sound guy to make you sound the way I suspect you want to sound will not make him your friend.

The point about "knowing this board" is that we all generally employ giant volume and power. Unported heads can sound fine if you're looking for extended BOOOOOOOOOM but if you want something more direct, it's disadvantageous for multiple reasons, the inability to mic in a very direct fashion being a major one.