Epi T-Bird Pro... Active vs Passive samples.

Started by zachoff, December 21, 2012, 11:25:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zachoff

Ripped out the active pre in my Epi T-Bird Pro and put in some passive goodness... 500k pots v/t v/t .047 caps.  Good times.  Before and after:

Active:
[soundcloud]http://soundcloud.com/zachoff/epi-t-bird-pro-sample[/soundcloud]

Passive:
[soundcloud]http://soundcloud.com/zachoff/epi-t-bird-pro-passive[/soundcloud]

What say you?

jibberish

interesting. definitely a tone difference.   the fun part is going to be putting sound into adjectives.

ok, howbout active has a higher tone peak and the sound is like smothered or blanketed..not saying that is bad, sounds cool
passive has a lower tone peak for sure, and just seems less blanketed or more open...how's that?

it is super super cool that you can a/b those 2 wavefiles immediately. humans forget exact sound within seconds. this lets you really compare subtle differences.

bass sic

I really love the active pickups in my Pbass, but lately I've been thinking about going back to passive for a change. And thinking maybe it will be. Better tone than I remembered.

Baltar

Jesus, it sounds like you pulled a wool blanket off your cab.  No contest.
Friends don't let friends play solid state amplifiers.

giantchris

Sounds a lot better.  Those basses always sound nice but the neck dive can get frustrating at times.

I'm debating whether to go back to my P with flats over my current MTD KZ for pretty much the exact same reason.

jibberish

here is a contrasting perspective:   I wonder if the actives would sound better through certain effects though, especially the fuzzing, darkening, swirling/shifting kinds since you are already sort of started in that direction.  what do you really have after it is all effected and amplified/processed anyway?

Furthermore, this example was of dynamics of a soft jazz piece. you need definition and a sweet natural tone just so the instrument doesn't cause listener fatigue (bad tone wreck song). we can hear the details of the plucks, no problem. you played it very pretty, if that makes sense.

SO in this context I would rather listen to the passives

BUT would that sound better in a Fu Manchu song or would the jacked up output, nasty powerful fuzzy bass(by the time you get done with it) serve the songs better?

that's why I love synths. you get 10 piano sounds.   some days I want that slightly detuned honky tonk piano.  but that would absolutely ruin a majestic black metal piece that needs the  concert grand sampled sound to serve the song.

zachoff

Quote from: jibberish on December 23, 2012, 01:01:57 AM

...Furthermore, this example was of dynamics of a soft jazz piece...

That may be the first time I've ever been accused of writing/playing anything that resembles jazz.  Haha.  :D