Maple vs Rosewood vs Ebony What's your preference

Started by Ranbat, November 03, 2012, 07:24:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ranbat

....and why? I prefer Maple even though most all my guitars have always had Rosewood. I just like the feel of a glossy fretboard. I don't much care for the unfinished Maple like some of the Squiers  and other budget guitars have. Which brings up another question, isn't Maple cheaper than Rosewood? If so, why do so many budget guitars have Rosewood fretboards? Just to make them look 'fancy'?
Meh :/

Mr. Foxen

I think rosewood is easier to do cheap fret work on, Most cheap maple board stuff ha a separate board part anyway, so its built in the same way. Maple is always finished, just some have a satin finish. Maple good enough for guitar necks might not be that cheap, can't get away with crappy batches so much, whereas a stuck on fingerboard is a relatively small piece of wood, you can bin a few with crags in them.

Since I can't help myself from fiddling with the frets on all my stuff, I prefer unlacquered boards since they are easier and less risky to take a file to.

bass sic

My basses have always had maple necks, but I'm really wanting a rosewood one for some reason. My strats have rosewood and my lp is ebony. I don't know about difference in feel but the ebony looks better.

Ranbat

There are Maple necks with too much finish on them too. The Squier Duo-Sonic was like that. And the satin finish is what I mean by unfinished. It feels alot like Rosewood and they get dirty looking quick. Which is an advantage if you like the well worn look on a neck.
Meh :/

Discö Rice

I really like ebony, but every guitar I've owned has been rosewood. My T-40 had a maple fingerboard, and I loved it.
Somebody's gonna eat my pussy or I'm gonna cut your fucking throat.

Andrew Blakk

I've earlier had some problems playing om ebony fretboard but after getting a Flying V I sort of got used to it. But in general I do prefer rosewood. There's something with the way how the rosewood responses.

bbottom

All of my basses have maple necks. To be honest I've always preferred the way that they look

bass sic

Quote from: bbottom on November 03, 2012, 02:53:12 PM
All of my basses have maple necks. To be honest I've always preferred the way that they look

I used to prefer the look. But now I think it depends on the bass. I have a black stingray with maple and I think it would look better rosewood.

The Riffer

On a bass, I prefer maple. on a Strat, prefer Rosewood.on an LP I prefer Ebony...I 'm a lover, not a hater.
BLACK ARTS TONEWORKS
Black Arts Instagram
Black Arts FB
New Horizons, Talkin' 'bout
a True, Defiant, Alliance

VOLVO)))

"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

clockwork green

"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

zachoff

Maple on black is sexy.  One of my old Yamaha BBs is ebony neck on tobacco burst and that's pretty awesome too.  Not that I hate rosewood... I prefer it to maple when it comes to actually playing.

lordfinesse

I really like maple, but rosewood is what I'm used to.
Billy Squier 24/7

clockwork green

I'm surprised no one reposted the "idiot" video.
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

I,Galactus

"Why don't you take a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut? Why don't you take a flying fuck at the mooooooooooooon?"

VOLVO)))

OH NO ITS BRIGHT AGAIN! Ahhhh...  War... SHIT ITS BRIGHT AGAIN
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

bass sic

Yea that guy was an ass, but did make some good points I thought.

rayinreverse

Drama

I like Ebony and Rosewood, I've 2 Rosewood and 3 Ebony LP's a Rosewood LP Bass and an Ebony SG.

grimniggzy

I'm usually have rosewood. Wouldn't mind maple one bit though.

Baltar

Friends don't let friends play solid state amplifiers.

I,Galactus

"Why don't you take a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut? Why don't you take a flying fuck at the mooooooooooooon?"

Baltar

Friends don't let friends play solid state amplifiers.

Corey Y

I have all 3 on different basses and guitars. Tone wise, I really can't tell the difference since they're all different sounding instruments in general. Feel and looks wise, I prefer maple and ebony. Rosewood can look nice at its best, but it looks like mocha swirl at its worst and I don't like the wide open grain for a fretboard. Nothing is a deal breaker though, unless it's just a particularly ugly slab of wood.

bass sic

I'm not to keen on those new Gibby boards. Baked maple and granadilo?