Main Menu

Blacktop P-bass

Started by RacerX, November 01, 2012, 11:53:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RacerX

If I were a bassist, I'd...

Livin' The Life.

hayseed

I am thoroughly impressed with Fenders Blacktop series. Affordable, well built, simple and they sound good. My Tele is killer and I've been drooling over the Jaguar design for the last few months. The P basses are just awesome but I have yet to know anyone who bought one. I keep hearing the bitch that they are MiM.
"We just want to make the walls cave in and the ceiling collapse. Music is meant to be played as loudly as possible, really raw and punchy, and I'll punch out anyone who doesn't like it the way I do." - BON SCOTT, AC/DC

grimniggzy

They probably shouldn't call that a P.
But pretty cool either way.

RacerX

They probably shoudn't call this a Jazz, but...

I like that silver paint job.
Livin' The Life.

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

clockwork green

Who's in charge of naming these?
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

RacerX

Quote from: clockwork green on November 01, 2012, 08:30:51 PM

A petite woman called "Moose" and a big fat dude nicknamed "Slim."
Livin' The Life.

Lumpy

Eh, it's a Jazz shape and Jazz neck. The pickups are different. You would still call it a Jazz bass. Modified Jazz or whatever.

I don't get excited about new pickup configurations, because I've always liked the basic split single-coil of a standard Precision. Two pickups -- too many.

But it's nice to see Fender trying new things, without resorting to stuff like this:

Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

Jor el

All the kids will want those, twenty years from now, when Jack White's kid is playing one.
What Would Scooby Do ?

clockwork green

Quote from: RacerX on November 01, 2012, 08:33:57 PM
Quote from: clockwork green on November 01, 2012, 08:30:51 PM

A petite woman called "Moose" and a big fat dude nicknamed "Slim."
That's a shame, they usually do such quality work when it comes to naming guitars.
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

zachoff

I've spent an hour or so with each and I think the jazz plays/sounds better, IMO.  Apparently, it's all about body and neck shape.  I almost bought the 'Jazz' but ended up getting my T-Bird instead.

liquidsmoke

Did that exact thing with my Mexican P many years ago. It looks neat. The Witch Mountain guitar player has a Strat like that with black tuners. It's pretty.

grimniggzy

Quote from: RacerX on November 01, 2012, 03:01:18 PM
They probably shoudn't call this a Jazz, but...

I like that silver paint job.

fugghh, still cool though.

eoin_not_ian

I think that the Precision looks a lot nicer. Something about two sets of Precision pick ups just looks wrong to me.

BastardCthulhu

"I think that the Precision looks a lot nicer. Something about two sets of Precision pick ups just looks wrong to me."

Sometimes it does, sometimes it's sexy as fuck.  I agree, it doesn't look right on a Jazz.  But on a Mockingbird....mmmmmmmm baby......That said, I would make sweet sloppy love to that P-bass alllllll night long.

eoin_not_ian

Quote from: BastardCthulhu on November 02, 2012, 10:27:18 PM
"I think that the Precision looks a lot nicer. Something about two sets of Precision pick ups just looks wrong to me."

Sometimes it does, sometimes it's sexy as fuck.  I agree, it doesn't look right on a Jazz.  But on a Mockingbird....mmmmmmmm baby......That said, I would make sweet sloppy love to that P-bass alllllll night long.

I think you are right. Its not some the dual Precision pick ups, but rather the fact that they are on a Jazz bass. To me it looks unbalanced.