Main Menu

Size matters...

Started by clockwork green, October 22, 2012, 09:14:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

clockwork green

Like many of you, my pedboard is way too big and is still full with pedals. I tried the Organizer in hopes of it bumping off my POG2 but no dice...the POG2 is just too good. Lately I've been into those 2-in-1 pedals like the Black Arts Toneworks Sarcophagus and Blackout's Twosome because they're two great pedals in 1.5x the space.

But the point of this thread is despite how I love the practicality of efficiently small pedals, my taste in visual aesthetics still loves the old giants of the 60's and 70's. those old big E-H pedals, especially the old Big Muffs, Univibes, Morley wah's, Colorsound and Univox pedals are just so damn cool looking. When I think about many of my favorite bands, the words efficient and practical don't come to mind in any way shape or form...especially when it comes to doom bands running kilowatts of tube amps to play hour long songs. I wish there were a few more excessively indulgent pedals out there, even if just as special editions. I have a few Big Muff kits I'm about to make and now I'm considering tracking down some big boxes just for the hell of it.
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

RacerX

I really don't give a fuck what my tools look like as long as they work.
Livin' The Life.

dunwichamps

everything i build is oversized and larger than most others. thats just how it is.

AgentofOblivion

I was at a gig recently and thinking about how much shit I have and what I REALLY need.  I was in the crowd watching one of the other bands play and I kept watching a dude step on a pedal at this precise time for a part in a song.  I concentrated, trying to listen for the audible change.  Perhaps there was a bit of a gain boost, but it was so subtle that he would have been fine leaving that pedal at home.  Now, a Pog obviously isn't always subtle, but I have taken joy in simplifying my rig.  Wah, Fuzz, EQ for solo boost, reverb pedal, 1 channel amp.

clockwork green

Everytime I've tried to simplify it just doesn't last more than a week. Sometimes you've just got to realize that you're not that guy. I've also long realized that I do things for myself and not the audience because even if I cared, I have no idea what they want and what they'll focus on and distinguish between.

RAGER

I'm just the opposite.  I think, man I've got all these pedals, I should probably use some of them live but when it comes to the stage what I normally have is a tuner and od and a delay and the delay rarely gets use except for maybe a freakout part or a solo.  And they are just setting on the floor.  No pedal board and I've got a nice one.
No Focus Pocus

dunwichamps

im just ramping up the size of my pedal collection. Just bought a used POG2, totally killer and worth it.

Ranbat

Never been a pedal guy myself. I've TRIED to be a pedal guy and found it more hassle than it was worth. I went through a phase when I first started playing where I bought a shit ton of pedals. I eventually settled on an old DOD 250 Overdrive as my sole pedal with my VTM. I have occasionally added a Wah or Delay, but that's it. My current three rigs all have everything I need built into the amp, which is Reverb and Tremolo/Vibrato. I like it way simple.
Meh :/

Sam Hain

I'm currently only running one pedal with my Sunn. It's a Pharaoh and I totally dig it.  Though I would love a POG too.

johnny problem

I have my pedal board setup to exactly what I use, I'm totally happy with how it is and don't really have any plans to add anything.

Volume>Tuner>Phase>Black Forest, and then Delay>Delay in my effects loop.

Run as many pedals as you want, but be mindful of the ones you're not using or don't really need to be there.

FullCustom

I have a Morley EVO-1. It's big and heavy. It's so big that it has a handle.

The Riffer

Quote from: Ranbat on October 22, 2012, 09:08:06 PM
Never been a pedal guy myself. I've TRIED to be a pedal guy and found it more hassle than it was worth. I went through a phase when I first started playing where I bought a shit ton of pedals. I eventually settled on an old DOD 250 Overdrive as my sole pedal with my VTM. I have occasionally added a Wah or Delay, but that's it. My current three rigs all have everything I need built into the amp, which is Reverb and Tremolo/Vibrato. I like it way simple.

Pretty much spot on for me also.
Not a "pedal guy"...Used to be, but now, I like it much more simple. My current set up is Guitar>Tuner>Revelation>Plexi...Wah and a delay are really the only additions that I would make, but when I do, they just sit there unused.
BLACK ARTS TONEWORKS
Black Arts Instagram
Black Arts FB
New Horizons, Talkin' 'bout
a True, Defiant, Alliance

clockwork green

I would love to see some custom artwork on some jumbo sized B.A.T. pedals. 

bbottom

It's funny because one of the things that attracted to me to the Fender Sublime (besides the sound of course) was how stupid big it is.

I'm going to pick up an OX bass fuzz sometime in the near future. And while I've considered taking the Fender off of the board once I get it.... I probably won't.

The Riffer

Quote from: clockwork green on October 23, 2012, 10:59:23 PM
email me, got some ideas.
BLACK ARTS TONEWORKS
Black Arts Instagram
Black Arts FB
New Horizons, Talkin' 'bout
a True, Defiant, Alliance

clockwork green

Quote from: The Riffer on October 23, 2012, 11:14:35 PM
Quote from: clockwork green on October 23, 2012, 10:59:23 PM
email me, got some ideas.
I will now...give me a few days.