Main Menu

Do you practice?

Started by Andrew Blakk, October 11, 2012, 05:44:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbottom

The main reason why I joined a cover band on the side, was so that it would force me to play different styles of music and practice much much more on my own.

eyeprod

I don't really practice guitar much, but I did practice bass for awhile and now I'm strong at it, so I stopped practicing it.

Lately have been practicing with modular synths (virtual) and that does require skills and knowledge. I'm doing ok so far
CV - Slender Fungus

everdrone

no, only noodling or recording for me!  once I learn the songs in a band I know the songs and do not practice them much really.

One day I will change my evil wayz and get a fretlight and practice tho.

rayinreverse

I'll pick up a guitar and dink around, or write some songs, but I dont have any sort of practice regimen.
I did for years, but Im old with other shit to do like play Skyrim, and yell at my kids.

fallen

I practice all the time but mostly that's all just fun playing, learning new tunes and playing along to stuff on guitar backing tracks or youtube.

As far as being good at guitar I don't worry about it. Whatever stuff you write into your own songs just push past your normal level of ability and record it, no matter how hard it is you'll master it with enough repetition.

Everybody is amazing at their own songs so of course when you listen to live Iron Maiden or something they are running around and are making everything look easy.

tossom

No.  I covered why in the "when is it time to quit?" thread.

Was burnt out working in music at about 23, didn't play or listen to music for years.  I just don't feel the need to practise or write anything since there is no real chance of me being in a band anytime soon.

"Beige rock"

Ranbat

I practice parts I need to learn that require my fingers to do things they normally don't have to do. It's usually takes a couple of days or so. Then there are the crazy things I'll work on for weeks or months. But, it's not like I sit down and dedicate myself to an hour of it a day or something. I'll just work on it whenever I pick up the guitar. Other than those instances, I just play alot.
Meh :/

Dr. Skeeter

I fuck around and play the drums a couple of times a week for 15-30 minutes at most. Band practice 2 times a week though, too.

mortlock

most of my practice is mental now.

MichaelZodiac

I wanted to practice but after a couple of weeks of not being able to plug my amps in, I went a little too loud... New neighbors aren't a fan apparently. Luckily I have my small combo amp here as well.
"To fully experience music is to experience the true inner self of a human being" -Pøde Jamick

Nolan

showdown

I really need to start practicing guitar, I'm a bassist originally but I play guitar in both of the bands I'm in now. Thought about looking at some Youtube lessons to get some tips about basic pentatonic riffing and solos.

jibberish

1)yes, guitar. a lot. often until i cant play anymore. i work on my own songs, and covers, to force me to learn new patterns and techniques,
...and speed drills. i came from a piano lesson background and we always had speed drills every week. they suck, but i recognize the value.

2) i really suck, and i have an urgency to get myself to the level where i can really do what i want, to serve the songs i try to play.

btw, youtube has all th eguitar info , lessons, tips you could ever want.

zachoff

I noodle.  I don't have a practice regimen, but I do play 2+ hours a week just noodling around and/or recording stuff I come up with.  Every once in a while I'll learn a riff that I dig.

Ombrenuit

I'm self taught. Play by ear and learn songs I like. Scales have never ever helped me play better. I'm no wizard though. That shit just bores me.

jibberish

hey ranbat, IMO, playing a lot is also practicing a lot. you are still going over the muscle memory motions and also reinforcing the song in your brain.   

i sometimes sit and just play imaginary 1/2 hr sets of songs i know and are relaxed about playing. i will catch a place here and there where a chord change is a little shaky becasue i just havent played the song in a long time. so getting it re-straightened out and then playing it correctly resets the flow of the song in my rapidly failing brain.

mawso

i practice a lot, mostly cos i like it for its own sake

playing through a bit of shit i'm trying to get better at doing is a very easy way to get away from all the concerns from the rest of my day and just unwind a bit

liquidsmoke

One way to play what is in your head- record yourself humming and Beavis and Buttheading. Play the recording back bit by bit while searching on the neck for each note and chord. If you aren't very good it takes some time but it does work. I'm not very good but I've gotten to where I can play stuff I think up pretty easily. It helps that what I think up is pretty easy.

Barnhard

Yes, I practice. Used to play in a Death Metal band with 2 guitar players who wanted to be the next Necrophagist or some shit. Did wonders for my technique.

Lumpy

Quote from: liquidsmoke on November 05, 2012, 11:28:46 PM
One way to play what is in your head- record yourself humming and Beavis and Buttheading. Play the recording back bit by bit while searching on the neck for each note and chord. If you aren't very good it takes some time but it does work. I'm not very good but I've gotten to where I can play stuff I think up pretty easily. It helps that what I think up is pretty easy.

This can work really well IMO. If you only play things that your fingers already know how to do, you can get into a rut.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

Chovie D

Ive been playing guitar for over 30 years now. (im 45).
a couple years ago I took some lessons in a style I was unfamiliar with and I practiced a bit then, but other than that i dont practice guitar.

pedal steel Ive been playing for 5 years now and  I try to practice every day. It is usually not enjoyable for me so its hard to practice every day

Ryno

I've been toying with the notion of trying to learn the pedal steel.  I've been dicking around on the guitar for about 15 years but still can't play a whole song. Riffs and chords all day long, but that whole "moving your fingers into position for the next chord quickly" has always gotten the best of me.  But I am completely in awe, and in love with some good pedal steel.  Am I better off just living in fantasy land, or should I go hunt down an old honky tonker and get some lessons going?
If a bear shits in the woods, should I have a cocktail?

chlorpromazine

Quote from: Discö Rice on October 11, 2012, 04:28:24 PM
I practice rudiments. Mostly things with flams. Flamadiddles, Swiss triplets, Flam taps, plain old flams with alternating accent hands and feet. As far as I'm concerned, if your flams are crappy (loose, flollopy), you'll never sound appropriately heavy. They should sound like fireworks at high volume, and you should be able to put them in a fill wherever you feel like it, which is why practicing all kinds of sticking/foot patterns with them is important.

I practice double strokes a lot, too. The faster and more consistent you are with double strokes, the better you'll be at almost everything, rudiment wise.

Also single hand push/pull stuff and Moeller exercises will help kick your speed way up.

/drum boobery.

I don't practice by myself nearly as much as I'd like. I play in three (sometimes 4 when the Madman is up for it) bands right now that each practice at least once per week. Moeller hasn't given me much in the way of speed, but I've seen a lot of improvement in control and endurance at high volume. I've been practicing the method long enough that my grips change from American/German to the high Moeller (index fingers and thumbs totally off the sticks) automatically depending on what I'm doing dynamically.

Dylan Thomas

Yeah, I practice a little every day if I have time.  I'm not a particularly gifted guitarist, my technique is weird because I'm self taught, and I have to sing while I play.  These three factors lend to me being a pretty sloppy guitarist.  Practicing keeps the slop under control, and keeps my playing sharp and tight.  It also helps me brainstorm new ideas, new riffs, new chord formations, etc, as I consider practicing to be just spending time on the guitar, not necessarily anything formal or structured.

As far as band practice, Palace In Thunderland practices once a week.  We practice for a good chunk of time, and in a fairly disciplined manner while still keeping it fun and fresh.
The fact that I kept setting my own boats on fire was considered charming.

Chovie D

Quote from: Ryno on November 20, 2012, 11:48:59 PM
I've been toying with the notion of trying to learn the pedal steel.  I've been dicking around on the guitar for about 15 years but still can't play a whole song. Riffs and chords all day long, but that whole "moving your fingers into position for the next chord quickly" has always gotten the best of me.  But I am completely in awe, and in love with some good pedal steel.  Am I better off just living in fantasy land, or should I go hunt down an old honky tonker and get some lessons going?

pedal steel is fairly expensive and not a real easy instrument to learn. It would be nice if you jhad a frined who had one and could sit down and try it out for a bit. I think thats the only way to know if you could see yourself doing it for real. Its hard ti find people who own one tho, and every single one of the ten or so Ive ever seen in a music store has been broken or setup completely wrong so trying it would be useless... If your ever at a small show and see a pedal steel, go talk to the steel guy, he might or might not let you try out his. i would usually let the really curious , and not obvioulsy shitfaced , inquisitors sit down at mine, one or two have at shows. you could also get a lap steel for cheap but its not even the same instrument really.

RAGER

I play either my guitar or my drums aboot every day.  Just depends on my energy level or where my attentions are needed.  Didn't touch a guitar yesterday but played drums for aboot 2 hours.  i should be playing guitar more cuz I have studio tracks to finish but hey what can I say  I'm a Sagittarius.
No Focus Pocus