Who would've thought that finding a guitar player....

Started by bbottom, October 09, 2012, 08:51:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbottom

would be so difficult. We must've tried out 15 people and gotten messages from 30. The last two people that I spoke to flaked out and never bothered showing up.

I've gone through this shit plenty of times in the past, but it has always been with drummers. Never in a million years would I have guessed that it would be this difficult to find a freaking guitar player.

I've placed ads on every Craigslist within 30 miles of where we practice, written up about 5 different kinds of ads ( a few with the ideal guitar player in mind and a few that are more generic) I've also placed ads on bandmix as well as hung up flyers in local music stores.

This Friday a dude that I used to jam with said that he may come out. The problem is that he lives over an hour or so away. And even though he said that he doesn't mind the drive.... I know that he'll probably get the shits of it before to long.

I just needed to rant a bit

Hemisaurus

Me. We've gone through a bunch in the past three years, I'm giving it up and going back to the two piece format.

fallen

I really thought that with the internet it would be so much easier to find people to play with but it's totally the opposite.

Used to have WAY better luck taking out an ad in the free newspaper and maybe posting something in the music store.

Might need to go back to that method because 90% of my Craigslist interactions have been with either semi-crazy people or out and out liars.

BrianDamage

Hell, I have been hunting a bassist and drummer for 3 years. I no longer even use craigslist. I hang up flyers at guitar center. Everything has always fizzled out because of jobs, families and what have you. Plus it doesn't help that the amount of musicians who want to do more than covers here in Tulsa, OK is next to nil and even less are the amount into doom/sludge/fuzz rock.
"My son Jack just got out of rehab, he's 17 years old and he got hooked on Oxycontin and I'm just a little pissed off that he never gave me a few."

Ozzy Osbourne - 2003

Hemisaurus

Quote from: BrianDamage on October 09, 2012, 10:26:39 PM
Hell, I have been hunting a bassist and drummer for 3 years. I no longer even use craigslist. I hang up flyers at guitar center. Everything has always fizzled out because of jobs, families and what have you. Plus it doesn't help that the amount of musicians who want to do more than covers here in Tulsa, OK is next to nil and even less are the amount into doom/sludge/fuzz rock.
Yeah, it's kinda the same thing round here. We don't even have a guitar center though :(

Still if you ever move to Springfield, look us up, we'll probably still be a two piece ;D

BrianDamage

"My son Jack just got out of rehab, he's 17 years old and he got hooked on Oxycontin and I'm just a little pissed off that he never gave me a few."

Ozzy Osbourne - 2003

Hemisaurus

Quote from: BrianDamage on October 09, 2012, 10:32:35 PM
IL or MO?
IL I'm afraid, MO actually has a scene, and people that want to hear more than regurgitated Skynyrd, Van Halen and Nickelback.

BrianDamage

Yeah. I used to live in Joplin, MO in the mid 90's and we and Springfield had a killer hardcore punk scene. More than a few Crusties and Skinheads too. Crazy times.

Ozzy Osbourne - 2003

Andrew Blakk

Got the same problem a couple of years ago when we needes a bass player. Some didn't show up, some weren't prepared... An endless search lol. But things got sorted out in the end.

So hang in there!  ;D

Lumpy

Quote from: BrianDamage on October 09, 2012, 10:26:39 PM

What about corrupting some of your musician friends? "Okay, you're a good guitar player but you like punk rock. But check this EW album out. Now play these chords." It's nice if you can be in a band with your friends, rather than a total stranger you meet on CraigsList -- they have no connection to you.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

rayinreverse

Quote from: BrianDamage on October 09, 2012, 10:42:00 PM
Yeah. I used to live in Joplin, MO in the mid 90's and we and Springfield had a killer hardcore punk scene. More than a few Crusties and Skinheads too. Crazy times.

A guy I used to work with lived in Springfield, MO in the 80's and 90's. He would always rave about the punk scene there. How awesome it was, and how great a few of the clubs were.