Main Menu

Univox Super Fuzz.....

Started by bbottom, October 08, 2012, 10:46:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbottom

Has anyone here ever owned one or at least played one? They seem to be the Holy grail of Fuzz pedals.

clockwork green

I've played an original and own one of the better copies, a Wattson.  They're pretty awesome but that mid-scoop isn't for everyone and every song.  It's also hard to not sound like Electric Wizard with one since the FZ-2 is modeled after it. 
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

Lumpy

Chovie D has an original Superfuzz, he posted about it here. He said he loves it, but he also loves his BYOC version equally well. I think the question with clones is 'Can you hear any difference between an original and a clone (and is it enough to care)?'

Sometimes the clones are improvements on the original circuits, but the originals might have components that aren't available anymore. I don't think most people can hear a difference with a good clone, usually... especially when you factor in everything else in your signal chain, and add the rest of the band on top. Plus one more factor... comparing your pedal to the sounds you heard on a record, and not taking into account the recording process. Comparing pedals in an A/B situation is best.

In my humble opinion, clones work fine, and originals are mostly for collectors, or the rare lucky score.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

The Shocker

I have one of these:

http://www.vibrafuzz.com/

The Fuzz circuit is essentially a Super Fuzz.  It sounds good, but of all the fuzzes that have passed through my hands I still think the fOXX Tone Machine is best.

dunwichamps

i have a black cat super fuzz, i think its a clone. Dont like it much to be honest

The Shocker

That reminds me, I also had a Guyatone "The Fuzz" which is a clone.  No low end at all.

MichaelZodiac

I'm borrowing my guitarist's FZ-2 for the moment, I love how much noise the bloody thing adds to the sound  ;D But it's pretty useless in combination with other pedals. I wouldn't mind testing a decent clone when I have the chance.
"To fully experience music is to experience the true inner self of a human being" -Pøde Jamick

Nolan

VOLVO)))

Quote from: The Shocker on October 09, 2012, 03:27:09 PM
That reminds me, I also had a Guyatone "The Fuzz" which is a clone.  No low end at all.

False, that thing has balls for days, dude!
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

grimniggzy

I know what The Shockzie means though, the Tone Machine clone I have is super thick & fuzzy.
So thick that a Superfuzz type pedal would probably suit my sound better.
Kinda different sounding fuzzes though.

The Riffer

Here's my hat in that arena. Takes cues from the Superfuzz/Scrambler/Octavia and adds a "clean" fuzz blend.
BLACK ARTS TONEWORKS
Black Arts Instagram
Black Arts FB
New Horizons, Talkin' 'bout
a True, Defiant, Alliance

grimniggzy

Quote from: The Riffer on October 11, 2012, 10:15:31 AM
Here's my hat in that arena. Takes cues from the Superfuzz/Scrambler/Octavia and adds a "clean" fuzz blend.

;D
Awesome

Chovie D

I own the univox superfuzz in the grey casing.
I'd describe it as slightly cleaner and more cutting than the BYOC and the FZ2.
The non doomy setting on it is a nice subtle octave fuzz, its a great effect for sure.
The BYOC is the most extreme of the three, but also kinda puts ablanket on your tone..sometimes I want that mush, but more often I want to cut thru a little more. I take the BYOC out of the house...the univox stays in the studio.
Heres the guts...

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

RAGER

Here's the populated board of the byoc super fuzz I built.  Big difference.

No Focus Pocus

VOLVO)))

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Chovie D

Quote from: SunnO))) on October 13, 2012, 02:11:12 PM
Missed ya, Eb.

Thanks man, my old name was E9th tho, not E flat.  E9th is the mosdt common a pedal steel tuning, how I chose the name.
Hows the steel fund coming along?

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=234605

VOLVO)))

Quote from: Chovie D on October 14, 2012, 10:17:17 AM
Quote from: SunnO))) on October 13, 2012, 02:11:12 PMMissed ya, Eb.

Thanks man, my old name was E9th tho, not E flat.  E9th is the mosdt common a pedal steel tuning, how I chose the name.
Hows the steel fund coming along?

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=234605

Derp! Its getting eaten up every time I put something into it. Truck should be finished breaking soon enough,  there isnt much more that can break, for fucks sake.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.