Main Menu

One band to rule them all

Started by Hemisaurus, October 04, 2012, 11:41:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hemisaurus

Blame using internet devices in areas with bad reception ;)

What I was going to say is: So I see a lot of people in here are in multiple bands, and a lot of time there is a lot of common members between each band. When do you decide, fuck it and just have one band that plays multiple styles, or do you feel you should keep your genres separate, even if you have two bands with the same members?

grimniggzy

Hemisaurus

...and apologies for leaving everyone in suspense ;)

grimniggzy

I'm in 3 different bands with my brother. Here's why they're different bands.
In UMM he plays drums, I play bass & guitar. We also plan on having other musicians sit in on different sessions. Its a drug rock band from outer space.
In GLU he plays guitar, I play bass & we have a different drummer we have really old songs and we just kinda reformed so that is seperate from our other endeavors plus it's a lot heavier than the other stuff we do.
BLOODFEAST is a Misfits cover band we're in where he plays drums & I play guitar.
I'm also in a punk band with 2 different guys.

Basically, my bro & I decide what band we need to focus on depending on what shows or other things (recording, etc.) we have coming up. There's no way I could be in all the bands I'm in if there wasn't at least a little overlap of members. In a way it would make sense to just do one band but each thing has its own direction even if we're still figuring it out. Plus I like to play guitar & bass and he also likes to switch up instruments.

Hemisaurus

There's no reason you can't swap out instruments in a band, long as you don't do it too often and all the gear is setup. One band I was in I did vocals for one song, the guitarist would play drums, the drummer would play guitar, and the other guitarist would play bass.

Seems like you dig the separation, personally I'd dig seeing an outer space drug rock band, with some heavy tunes and a few Misfit covers. Then again, you'd have to fnd more people than just your bro willing to play all that. :-\

grimniggzy

Yeah, in a way I feel like the seperation keeps me focused a little more. Kinda keeps me on a leash. If I was doing just one band I'd just be floating off into outer space with my bass & never come back.

Hemisaurus

Quote from: grimniggzy on October 04, 2012, 04:03:29 PM
Yeah, in a way I feel like the seperation keeps me focused a little more. Kinda keeps me on a leash. If I was doing just one band I'd just be floating off into outer space with my bass & never come back.
Yeah, I'd join that band ;D

zachoff

I say multiple bands if the style are wildly different.  I don't have time to be in more than one band though...

grimniggzy

Yeah, I officially have no life anymore. Whenenver I get home from work and have a day where I don't have to do something band related I just pass out.

eyeprod

I have multiple bands that are all "sort-of" going on. Yeah, they all have similarities, yet are different enough to require individual names.
CV - Slender Fungus

grimniggzy

OK, so I've come around Hemi.
I'm joining a sick grind band that is established but never had a bass player & it's putting everything else but possibly jamming with other people on hold.
http://occult45.bandcamp.com/
I have Misfits cover band BLOODFEAST until Nov. 3rd. It's a seasonal thing for Halloween with 2 of us Occult members.
I have a few Grime Status shows I previously committed to until somewhere near the end of November.
After that Occult 45 will be doing some weekends and possibly a week or so long tour.

yesca

me and my bassist have been stuck on that since our formation a few years ago. recently came to the conclusion on being a bit of a genre hopping band

Dr. Skeeter

I'd only keep my genres seperate if they were like REALLY different. I'd keep all of my metal/dark/weird/heavy music the same, but I wouldn't put any straight up indie-pop or acoustic funk in there. So if I ever wanna do indie pop or acoustic funk i'll have to start a new band. Splitting up every genre into different bands would just drain too much creative energy out of me.

rayinreverse

I can't combine the two bands I am in,because the drummer from one plays guitar in another.

Discö Rice

It's like any relationship. If you're really lucky, you'll find someone who will go anywhere with you, and vice-versa. Until then you'll just have to focus on what your current creative partners do well, and enjoy what they have to offer. When you lose interest, move on.
Somebody's gonna eat my pussy or I'm gonna cut your fucking throat.