Main Menu

Help ID this Gibson cab

Started by bitter, October 01, 2012, 03:16:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bitter

So I need some help IDing this Gibson 2x10 cab I got off a friend about 6 years ago. Been trying to clear out some space in the garage and get rid of stuff not being used. Mostly trying to get an idea of what this was and what it's potentially worth.

I don't know anything about it, other than it used to be a vertical cab he converted. It has a pair of 10" speakers that came out of a 6x10 Standel pedal steel amp, that he claimed were 32 ohms. The jack was missing so he drilled a secondary hole when he wired it up. Beyond that, he added/replaced the screws holding on the grill cloth and put 4 small holes around the handle that used to hold a couple wooden rails so he could add another amp on top.

Cosmetically speaking, that's about the extent of the damage, minus normal visible wear and a little tolex peeling on a back corner.

I've seen similar era models but there's no model # other than the serial # 47516. I don't even know where to look for that kind of info.

So yeah, that's kind of where I'm at with this  :-\

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Oh Andy I'm gonna go over to mount pilot and worship Satan

Pissy

perhaps it's a garnet made for Gibson?  I've seen pics of Garnet made Gibsons though I thought they were from a newer era than this appears to be, and the ones I saw were combos, not cabs.

You say that the screws were replaced, are there any original screws left?  garnet used square headed Roberson hardware.  The speakers even look like Marslands, which would make it pretty close to 100% in my eyes, but I know you said they came from a pedal steel amp. 

Garnet made lots of different amps for other companies.  They were referred to as Stencil amps.  Gibson being the biggest name they contracted for.
Vinyls.   deal.

bitter

He added the speakers because the cab came to him empty. I believe the speakers to be older (late 60's) because he gave me the impression the cab was prolly from the 70's. All of the front screws were replaced and most are in new locations. I think the original holes were stripped out??? I believe the other screws (Back panel, corners, ect...) seem to be original.

This is the closest type of cab I seen to it yet. Even the jack plate matches.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gibson-Gpa-100-COL-2-Speaker-Cabinets-8-10-s-/200788605707?_trksid=p5197.m1992&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D14%26meid%3D2438453427815226922%26pid%3D100015%26prg%3D1006%26rk%3D1%26sd%3D370651624113%26

Pissy

cabs like this one are the reason I think it might be a Garnet.  This was stock.  Pretty close.  That serial number plate is also really reminiscent of a Garnet.

Vinyls.   deal.

bitter

That's pretty interesting, and I can see the resemblance.

So fellas, the big question is: in it's current condition, what would be a fair asking price or trade value? 

RacerX

I wouldn't spend a penny over $100 on that cab. Left speaker's missing a substantial chunk of cone, for one thing.
Livin' The Life.

bitter

That's just some caulking(?) residue on the grill cloth messing with the image. I was only able to get a few shot before the batteries on my cam died. Speaker cones are intact, but the plan years ago was to replace them. Never got around to it.

EDIT: I should clarify that the speakers are intact, but their operating condition is unknown. Again, I used the cab once or twice with the plans of swapping the speakers, then became disinterested. I never seriously believed any potential buyers would be interesting in the speakers. If anything, they're just a place holder.

Pissy

Yeah I don't think I'd pay much for it. If it needs work it ought to be free honestly. Taking up space with dead speaker cabs is not a good position to be in. I've got two empty Traynor tower 412 cabs I'd give away if someone was willing to come get them.

Trading for them isn't out of the question though. 

FWIW, if it was an old Garnet stencil, it still wouldn't be worth much. cabs were not their strong suit.
Vinyls.   deal.

bitter

Fair enough. I just wanted to know more about it before trying to offer it up on here or locally. Most likely, I'd offer it up as an empty cab on here for convenience and shipping sake. 

RacerX

Advertise it as $50 with speakers, $100 without.
Livin' The Life.

bitter