Main Menu

How much is fair...

Started by chille01, October 01, 2012, 12:18:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chille01

For a broken Peavey VTM-60 head?  And for those that know more about the inner workings of amps, is the VTM-60 a reasonable circuit to work on, or a pain in the ass? I don't know what is broken on it.  The guy at the pawn shop just says that it makes no (or very little) sound.  They have it priced at $240, which seems a bit steep for a busted head to me.

zachoff

Way too much.  Not sure I'd even pay half that.

Jake

I bought a VTM60 in fabulous condition for $250, pre-recession.
poop.

morgantician

Peavey's are sleeper amps - not working, I'd say the price should more so resemble comatose.

BrianDamage

I paid 250 for my working VTM 60 and the matching cabinet so yeah he needs to come down A LOT.
"My son Jack just got out of rehab, he's 17 years old and he got hooked on Oxycontin and I'm just a little pissed off that he never gave me a few."

Ozzy Osbourne - 2003

chille01

Right on, thanks. I'm not even really in the market for a new amp, I just kinda wandered in to do some browsing. I'll most likely just forget it.

justinhedrick

Quote from: zachoff on October 01, 2012, 12:27:28 AM
Way too much.  Not sure I'd even pay half that.

i would give them $100 and make them throw in a new set of power tubes. Why do I say this? because, it will cost you at least double that to get it working. plus, you can do mods to it while you are in there.

Lumpy

You don't need to gamble on that amp.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

Lumpy

Or offer them 75 bucks cash. And tell them nobody will buy a broken Peavey amp for more than that.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

Mr. Foxen

In my experience, Peavey are pretty helpful with getting amps fixed.

justinhedrick

Quote from: Mr. Foxen on October 02, 2012, 05:32:17 PM
In my experience, Peavey are pretty helpful with getting amps fixed.

agreed. at the peavey forum, one of the main posters is the head tech at peavey.

Hemisaurus

Broken amps are only worth buying if you can fix them yourself, or have a friend that fixes them. Tech fees would outweigh any savings on price.

spookstrickland

Quote from: Hemisaurus on October 03, 2012, 01:59:26 PM
Broken amps are only worth buying if you can fix them yourself, or have a friend that fixes them. Tech fees would outweigh any savings on price.

Hemi is right, if you or a friend can't fix it, you will blow a ton of cash on tech fees and you would have been better off buying an amp that worked properly in the first place.
I'm beginning to think God was an Astronaut.
www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org