Main Menu

Holy grail

Started by bass sic, September 15, 2012, 01:13:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bass sic

I know a bunch of you guys use the EHX holy grail, does it have a special power supply? I picked one up without the plug, bought a plug seperately and it doesn't fit. Neither do my onespot plugs. It takes a 1/8" male and all I'm coming up with are 1/8" females.

liquidsmoke

You got the old style one. A Google search for Electro Harmonix power supplies should cure you. Or check their website. I got the newer smaller HG which my pedal board powers just fine with a Boss style connector. I keep mine dialed at 9:00 for a touch of verb always.

RAGER

You can also get an adapter for the one spot
No Focus Pocus

Lumpy

I have an adapter I can send you (i have a bunch of 1Spots, so I have extra adapters). Bmail me your address if you want it. Or if you're in a hurry, the adapter is like 4 bucks at the music store. Call ahead, not everyone will have it.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

bass sic

Thanks lumpy. Guitard center is a couple blocks away so I'll just stop on the way to work today. I probably got one with my onespot right? I'll have to year apart my gig bag and see if there's one in there.

Lumpy

If you got the "pack" then you might have adapters already.

bass sic

Yea I found one in my gig bag. So much shit in there. Thanks for the help/advise/patients.

bass sic

How is the other electro harmonix stuff? My muff doesn't have an ext pwr input, the grail has an uncommon plug. Is all there stuff different like that?

RacerX

Quote from: bass sic on September 16, 2012, 02:12:10 PM
How is the other electro harmonix stuff? My muff doesn't have an ext pwr input, the grail has an uncommon plug. Is all there stuff different like that?

All the Nano units use external power only—no battery lead. They use the standard power jack, though, so no adapter needed w/ a One Spot or similar power supply.
Livin' The Life.

RAGER

When using a battery with EHX stuff, always use these
No Focus Pocus

bass sic

They look like they might supply too much power.

Lumpy

Quote from: bass sic on September 16, 2012, 02:12:10 PM

There's a 1Spot 'battery snap' attachment in your bag, for pedals that lack a power input. It's not that EHX is flaky with their designs, but it's an old company and they just followed the evolving manufacturing trends.

skydogdiesel

i havent been able yet to dial in a tone i like out of this pedal.  my rig: american strat>wah>turbo rat>ibanez ds9>ehx mem man w hazarai>boss rt-20>nano holy grail> sunn sonaro.  sorry dudes no pics.

i just havent been able to find a sweet spot where it wont sound too wet/muddy and the opposite (not enough "air" or ambience).  I'm actually thinking of getting rid of it.
grandma always said the money's in dick and fart jokes...

bass sic

I'm not able to dial it in yet either, but I am lacking a decent cab at this time.

onelineguy

I have the EH Holy Grail "plus" and it uses a standard 9v power suply, in fact I use the Boss PSA-120 adapter and it's fine. 

Once on tour in Europe I fried it somehow, the power is all different over there and sometimes your converters don't match the power... Anyways, I got it fixed in Missano Italy and the repair guy did something weird because now when you plug it in it appears to not be working... 10 seconds later it works like a charm.

These pedals are touchy, it takes time to find that perfect amount of saturation of reverb over your original signal. 

Try about 55% blend and about 45% amount on the spring setting..  To me, that is gold.

On another note, I just bought my wife the Holy Grail "NANO" for her old yamaha organ and it's rad.  If you just need reverb for one setting, like the spring and you are not interested in the "hall" or "room" or "flerb" I would highly recomed the nano.
If we were wolves we'd be happy just to eat what we need.

moose23

Quote from: onelineguy on September 18, 2012, 03:36:18 PM
I have the EH Holy Grail "plus" and it uses a standard 9v power suply, in fact I use the Boss PSA-120 adapter and it's fine. 

Once on tour in Europe I fried it somehow, the power is all different over there and sometimes your converters don't match the power... Anyways, I got it fixed in Missano Italy and the repair guy did something weird because now when you plug it in it appears to not be working... 10 seconds later it works like a charm.

These pedals are touchy, it takes time to find that perfect amount of saturation of reverb over your original signal. 

Try about 55% blend and about 45% amount on the spring setting..  To me, that is gold.

On another note, I just bought my wife the Holy Grail "NANO" for her old yamaha organ and it's rad.  If you just need reverb for one setting, like the spring and you are not interested in the "hall" or "room" or "flerb" I would highly recomed the nano.

Unless you have a VS Onespot your converter/power supply will never match the power over here. Easy to just buy a euro wal wartand not worry about damaging pedals.