Mesa Lone Star or Orange Rockerverb 50

Started by Submarine, September 04, 2012, 09:34:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Submarine

Both sound different, both sound great. Which would you choose? Why?  I need some perspective.

Jake

Those type of amps get very little love around here. But I'm down with either, since I am not one to use a pedal for disto.
poop.

I,Galactus

I'd go for the lonestar m'self.  Primarily because I'm a boogie whore.

Are you looking at heads or combos?
"Why don't you take a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut? Why don't you take a flying fuck at the mooooooooooooon?"

VOLVO)))

Boogie gets my vote. You don't pay for an amp with Orange, you pay for Orange with Orange.

"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Submarine

I just sold my Orange TH30 head.
I really liked it - the distortion was phenomenal but it needed at least 3 band eq on it.
Its was easy to get buried in a two guitar situation when all you needed was a bit of presence.

It seems like the Rockerverb is similar with a bit more eq functionality but the Lone Star crossed my mind
as a contender.  Its built like a tank and sounds like a great Marshall.

Jake

Get both and let them duel it out to the death.
poop.

RacerX

Livin' The Life.

moose23

Quote from: Submarine on September 05, 2012, 02:36:59 PM
I really liked it - the distortion was phenomenal but it needed at least 3 band eq on it.
Its was easy to get buried in a two guitar situation when all you needed was a bit of presence.

It seems like the Rockerverb is similar with a bit more eq functionality but the Lone Star crossed my mind

With the two band bax eq turning the bass and treble below 12 will boost the mids.

dunwichamps

Quote from: moose23 on September 05, 2012, 05:12:36 PM

With the two band bax eq turning the bass and treble below 12 will boost the mids.

its more like that just cuts lows and highs so much that your overall signal is quite attenuated. you would need a large increase in flat gain previous to the stage to get the mid boost feel. Better to say that it doesnt cut mids at noon on the controls. just my 2 cents after building half dozen baxandall amps

everdrone

I like my tv50, I bet it has waaayy more low end than the rv50 that most complain is not enough low end to do heavy downtuned rock

what style and what guitar you use need to be mentioned, maybe what pedalz too ;)

Instant Dan

eoin_not_ian

I nearly bought a TH30 combo. Great distortion but yes I would have preferred some kind of EQ alongside, or instead of, the 'shape' knob. The clean tones on the amp were really nice though.

I,Galactus

Quote from: Instant Dan on September 05, 2012, 07:35:10 PM
Neither, get a Mesa Boogie Electra-Dyne.

Fuck the fuck yeah.  EDs are the business.  Super minimalist (for Boogie anyway) yet versatile as hell.

Kim digs 'em.

"Why don't you take a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut? Why don't you take a flying fuck at the mooooooooooooon?"

the diddler

Played an RV50 through the orange 4x12 for awhile in a shop, seemed cool but compressed enough in all settings that I knew I'd always be trying to dial some air into the tone.  And I played that fucker pretty loud and I'm sure pissed some people off.  Plugged into a Soldano next and walked out with it 20 minutes later.  I could see the rv50 working for some people though, not a bad amp by any stretch

planet doom

i sold a mesa to buy my orange thunderverb 50. mesa does one sound really well if you want to sound like lamb of god or old metallica. i've owned marshalls peaveys mesa laney and some lower end stuff but nothing sounds a good as my tv50. i owned the mesa for less than 30 days.

I,Galactus

everdrone

I hang out on this other forum, check it out if u want more info on teh ultimate amp tonez http://forum.orangeamps.com/viewforum.php?f=2

Submarine

After all that: a Carr Slant 6 deal came my way.  I pulled the trigger on it.  Its a bit more hi-fi but I have a great overdrive unit to push it.
Gotta say though that Mesa Electra Dyne seems very cool.