Main Menu

Reverb or delay

Started by bass sic, August 28, 2012, 12:14:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bass sic

Or both? Still a newb on guitar, just wondering what the next pedal I can't live without will be.

bitter

Depends on what you're doing. I prefer reverb because it can always be on without getting in the way. To me, reverb adds depth and some spacial quality to notes (decay and whatnot). Delay always seemed best for accenting leads, but not much else.
Oh Andy I'm gonna go over to mount pilot and worship Satan

dogfood

I keep my verb on 1 just to soften the tone a bit.  I just picked up a DL4 delay box and I'm quite satisfied.  If I had to go one way or another I'd go delay.
Problem solving whiskey!

VOLVO)))

I run a thick reverb, and kick on delay when I'm playing melodies.

Both are awesome.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Naxzul

http://deadriverrunsdry.bandcamp.com/
www.facebook.com/DeadRiverRunsDry

The Shocker

Quote from: bass sic on August 28, 2012, 12:14:27 AM
Or both? Still a newb on guitar, just wondering what the next pedal I can't live without will be.

Falling down the rabbit hole quick, I see.   ;)

rayinreverse

bass sic

Quote from: The Shocker on August 28, 2012, 08:42:33 AM
Quote from: bass sic on August 28, 2012, 12:14:27 AM

Falling down the rabbit hole quick, I see.   ;)

Yes, yes I am. I did it before with bass gear, and now a different hole.

Jake

Reverb is probably more useful in a band situation, but delays are waaaaaay more fun in a dickaround situation.
poop.

AgentofOblivion

Depends what you plan to use it for I guess.  If it's something you want to use a lot, probably a reverb.  If it's something you want to add for occasional flavor, delay.  I use the Eventide Space, which is expensive but fucking amazing, and you can just create whole pallets of sounds.  It's primarily a reverb processor, but delays are included.  You can do some wacky shit with it or just simulate all sorts of realistic spaces (oil drum, tin shack, huge auditorium...etc).  If you're doing ambient stuff it's excellent.  If you're in a straight up, heavy stoner rock band it's way overkill.

RacerX

Reverb kinda gets lost if there's a lotta gain, so for the heavy stuff, delay is probably more bang for the buck.

That said, for cleaner sounds, my nano Holy Grail kicks serious ass, esp. the spring setting.

Livin' The Life.

clockwork green

I've been on a big reverb kick lately.  I recently bought an Eventide Space, Strymon blueSky, Hardwire Supernatural and awhile back the TC Electronics Hall of Fame.  I've been loving the shimmer effect (which the first three of those have as well as my Strymon Timeline delay).  It just sounds really haunting and huge, especially with delay.  If you're trying to get some cool atmosphere on a budget I'd recommend the Hardwire reverb and a Malekko 616 analog delay which also has a great modulated delay option.  You can really add a ton of atmosphere with delay and reverb together.  If you're into the black metal thing then reverb is also great for that with distortion for that washed out sound.
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

Lumpy

That Supernatural does sound good.

I like the Ghost Echo from Earthquaker Devices, if you want a simple, dark sounding reverb. It doesn't have tons of versatility like some pedals, but it's easy to get good sounds from it.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

bitter

Nothing quite like a big room or hall reverb with hi gain for black metal stuff.
Oh Andy I'm gonna go over to mount pilot and worship Satan

lordfinesse

I like both. Sometimes more, sometimes less. Just fits my playing style I guess. Holy Grail and Memory Man Deluxe.
Billy Squier 24/7

bass sic

Well I guess I have to start hitting the overtime so I can do both then. When in doubt, buy them all.

johnny problem

You can make a delay pedal do reverb.  I suggest delay.

justinhedrick

Quote from: johnny problem on August 29, 2012, 10:41:25 AM
You can make a delay pedal do reverb.  I suggest delay.

this. it only took me years to figure this out.

AgentofOblivion

You can make a good reverb pedal do delay as well.

liquidsmoke

I use a bit of reverb all the time and tons of delay for one very long riff in one song, it sounds haunting. The reverb just wettens things up a tad, like if you were slightly rubbing a vagina through jeans. For leads I use a boost for more volume, otherwise my band mates can't hear what I'm doing. I use tons of gain all the time by the way.

bass sic

Quote from: liquidsmoke on August 30, 2012, 04:21:55 AM
I use a bit of reverb all the time and tons of delay for one very long riff in one song, it sounds haunting. The reverb just wettens things up a tad, like if you were slightly rubbing a vagina through jeans. For leads I use a boost for more volume, otherwise my band mates can't hear what I'm doing. I use tons of gain all the time by the way.

The wettening things up a tad is what I'm after. Something to make my playing more fluid and less chunky. And make me sound like I can play guitar, but I don't think there's a pedal out there that can simulate that.

RacerX

This pedal is always on.

I dime the level & the left knob and keep the right knob between 7 and 9 o'clock.
Livin' The Life.