The new Judge Dredd Movie

Started by gritty_fingers, August 28, 2012, 12:10:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gritty_fingers

I'm not a huge fan of the comic and yeah...the Stallone version blows monkey chunks. But this new version with Karl Urban seems interesting to me. Its a hard 'R' with lots of ultraviolence and gore (which you can't really tell with the youtube video below). What do you guys think?

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/dredd_3d/

"Ginger People"

boltthrow

I don't know much about it either but for some reason Karl Urban looks too small.  Wasn't Dredd tall?  I know Stallone wasn't tall but he came across as big somehow.

Dunedin

I read 2000AD comic avidly as a youngster and I loved the whole Mega City milieu that Dredd is set in. I'll be going to see this next Friday when it come out.

And yeah the original version sucked.
Lemur Demands Back Scratches!

gritty_fingers

Quote from: boltthrow on August 28, 2012, 08:10:24 AM
I don't know much about it either but for some reason Karl Urban looks too small.  Wasn't Dredd tall?  I know Stallone wasn't tall but he came across as big somehow.

Karl Urban is a pretty big dude. He's been in a lot of shitty movies though and he never reached the potential he shown in Lord of the Rings. Hopefully this will turn things around for him.
"Ginger People"

I,Galactus

Quote from: gritty_fingers on August 28, 2012, 09:21:28 PM
Quote from: boltthrow on August 28, 2012, 08:10:24 AM

Karl Urban is a pretty big dude. He's been in a lot of shitty movies though and he never reached the potential he shown in Lord of the Rings. Hopefully this will turn things around for him.

I thought Urban knocked it out of the park in the Trek reboot.  LOLPINIONS

I don't know dick about Dredd, except for the fact that he is the law.
"Why don't you take a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut? Why don't you take a flying fuck at the mooooooooooooon?"

GodShifter

Man, who is Karl Urban anyway? The only thing I really remember him from was Pathfinder, and that was atrocious.

strangelight

he was bones in the star trek reboot.

alfie

Who was he is in Lord of the Rings? Looking forward to this, used to read my mates 2000AD regularly, Tharg's Future Shocks were my favourite. That one with Stallone was shite indeed.
Still have the "poster edition" Anthrax "I am the Law" 12" for my sins.
Are you morbid?

gritty_fingers

Quote from: alfie on September 09, 2012, 04:46:18 PM
Who was he is in Lord of the Rings? Looking forward to this, used to read my mates 2000AD regularly, Tharg's Future Shocks were my favourite. That one with Stallone was shite indeed.
Still have the "poster edition" Anthrax "I am the Law" 12" for my sins.

He was one of the horseman of Rohan. He had long blond hair in that movie.

This movie has 33 positive reviews and 0 negative reviews on Rotten Tomatoes. I am really looking forward to seeing this movie. I won't be able to see it the first weekend but I will try to see it Thursday afterwards.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/dredd_3d/
"Ginger People"

deleted account

my buddy might be dragging me to fucking Dublin tonite to see this shit, grit.  says he heard it's so violent it almost got an X-rating.

apparently Dublin's got the only non-3D print around

RacerX

Quote from: tattooedsean on September 12, 2012, 04:00:07 AM
I hope this ends up well! 8)

Me, too!

I'm putting my Judge Dredd comics collection up for sale again.

Fucking Stallone movie sent the resale values tumbling...
Livin' The Life.

eugenicscum

I loved it. It could've had more memorable action setpieces, and it could've had better one-liners for Dredd, but damn this was great fun and the slo-mo scenes are really creative. Highly recommended, but it's not doing well in the US box office, so you guys better hurry.

deleted account

it wasn't that bad.  then again I was drunk and stoned

gritty_fingers

Finally caught it and I enjoyed it. It wasn't very deep but its was very good. I feel like its more of a setup for a better sequel.
"Ginger People"

gguignol

Parallels to 'The Raid: Redemption" aside, I dug it. 90 minutes of unrepentant gore, with a lot of nods to the low budget gangsploitation flicks from the late 70's early eighties. Notice the similarities between the leader of the Mar-Ma gang's rants over the building PA to the DJ's playful little jibes all throughout 'Warriors'. There were a lot of little easter eggs just like that all through the film. The score was fucking great, too
Oedipus Non Carboreundum

Pure Rock Casey

As a massive Dredd head and someone who has read 2000ad weekly for at least the last 6 or 7 years, I was pretty stoked with this movie. Given the low budget I was glad they kept the scale small. It was like a tight 5 pager rather than a multi issue mega epic. I just hope it was popular enough to green light a sequel with a bigger budget and scope. The tone and characterisation were spot on, I thought

gritty_fingers

Quote from: Pure Rock Casey on January 15, 2013, 06:05:05 AM
As a massive Dredd head and someone who has read 2000ad weekly for at least the last 6 or 7 years, I was pretty stoked with this movie. Given the low budget I was glad they kept the scale small. It was like a tight 5 pager rather than a multi issue mega epic. I just hope it was popular enough to green light a sequel with a bigger budget and scope. The tone and characterisation were spot on, I thought

Unfortunately the movie was one of the biggest bombs of last year so I doubt there will be another movie.
"Ginger People"

ez

Loved it. Inherited my brother's 3D Sony Bravia just in time for it too.

Always been a big fan of the comic ever since I was a kid and the movie did it justice.

Only minus point, no use of ricochet bullets and overuse of Anderson's powers.
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

neighbor664

I watched this last night. It could have been great, but it lacked this:

strangelight

i saw this the other day. i really dug it and i think it's a shame there isn't gonna be a sequel.

but when you start off with a small budget and then do very little promo (just vague trailers before other action flicks was all i really saw) then it's hard to think the movie is gonna bring in a ton of money.

bbottom

I watched this last week and found it to be even shittier than I expected.

Narco Pollo

I Redboxed it the other day on a whim and was happily surprised.  Way better than the first.  I also enjoyed the tight simple story.  It was not fine cinema, but a fun $1.50 for sure.

My biggest complaint, and I'm wondering if anyone else here had the issue... the Blu-Ray quality.  It sucked hard, I don't know how.

I'm not sure if it was that the 3d and 2d version were on one disk, so maybe it was too compressed trying to squeeze it all on there, but there was a TON of noise in some scenes.  I know some people complain about film grain, ISO noise or other things that show up in Blu Ray, but those things are actually part of the media, you're just seeing it better.  This wasn't that.  This was blocky pixel noise and really shallow color depth (rings on vignettes and such).  It looked like 1080p Youtube more than Blu-Ray.

I'm not the type to care about such things normally, but this was all up in my face and distracting.  Low Budget isn't an excuse, home video cameras don't even look that bad.  It was weird.

But I enjoyed the film.
Drug Chicken

ez

Was it downloaded or streamed? I have the (UK) Blu Ray and didn't notice any of that.
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

Narco Pollo

It was a Redbox DVD, which is like a DVD vending machine.  So it was a real disk, I don't know if they are different than a store bought one, I wouldn't think so.  I don't know.  Like I said, I normally wouldn't care, but you would notice this if you saw it.  Does yours have both versions on one disk?  It was only certain scenes, and yeah they kind of looked like a poor quality download.

Drug Chicken