Main Menu

How far do you drive

Started by bass sic, August 25, 2012, 05:52:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bass sic

How far do you drive to get to work? I've driven 85 each way, but that was when gas was damn near free. Right now I'm 6 miles from work, and I planned it that way. I hate spending anymore time than I have to not getting paid and not being home. I ask because I got a lead on a new job, but it's 35 miles thru the city during morning hours. I would have to get a smaller vehicle. 7 to 3 Friday Saturday off, fuck yea.

Can someone move this to general?

zachoff

9 mile drive or a 7.5 mile bike ride.  Pretty chill.  Used to drive from N of Denver to S of Denver and it was awful.  1 1/2 hours one way.  Figured it out one day and that's one month out of the year in the car.  I'll never do that again.

ryansummit

right now all the jobs i got are in town, blocks away
mid june through mid august i was 25m away
im drivin  875m to SC again next month to do some work
chasin the money(actually chasin work,hopin to get paid)
when i lived in nyc i was about 4miles from the office
it took 2 1/2hrs to get there by subway,1 1/2hr+$5toll by car
unless you get a recumbent bike traffic and ga$ will be a part of your life
get sirius and listen to stern in the gridlock

bass sic

I'm more worried about gas $. My truck is not very good on gas but it's paid for. A guy I work with now does the opposite, driving for that other airport to my side of town and it takes over 45 minutes when the weather is good. Sounds like an awesome job, I may have to suck it up and do the drive.

Jake

I'm happy to say that my commute consists of going from the first floor bedroom down into the basement office. I haven't had to buy gas since the first week of June and probably still have more than half a tank. It helps that I'm in walking distance to all the necessities: bars, restaurants, adult diaper wholesalers, abortion clinics, etc.
poop.

OR50

A few years ago I drove 145 one way to work. Now I work 5 miles from my house!

Demon Lung

ryansummit

the add for my apartment clearly stated
"minutes from abortion clinic"
lying scumbags
she always has to take the bus

eyeprod

about 12 miles each way. pretty chill, but gas adds up.
CV - Slender Fungus

VOLVO)))

I drive for a living. Yesterday? 460 miles, both ways.  :'( :'( :'(

I can't move threads anywhere else on the board.

[spoiler]Papa Dave or ShiftyJ are gonna haveta do it.[/spoiler]
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Metal and Beer

Hey Bass Sick, I'd be happy to move this for ya but there's already a grip of posts from cats that don't go to the General Diss forum...you can start the same thread in GD if you want, too, ain't no big thang...

Sunn0))))))))))), lemme have a look at the settings, I might could enable that fucktion for ya

I drive 25 miles each way, I recently started at the same facility I worked at from 1998 until 2007 (when the Internetflix killed the VHS/DVD bidness) so I'm incredibly familiar w/ the route. I'd never choose to listen to the radio during "free" time but kinda dig it on my drives...
"Would it kill you fellas to play some Foghat?"

bass sic

Nah MB, pretty much anybody who matters is in this place. I just didn't want to clutter it up with trivial, non music shit. I'm thinking pass on the other job, I keep thinking winter snow and 30 something mile drive thru/ around downtown would suck ass. Although nights, weekends and holidays off is tempting.

VOLVO)))

Yeah, I don't mind non-gear related long as it's civil and not-shitstormy. So, don't talk about how far your generator drives, or anything.

:D

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

clockwork green

I went from 30 to now 20 miles each way....takes about 45 minutes in the morning and an hour in the afternoon.  Sometimes I'll ride my bike and take BART which doesn't save any time or money but it's a lot more relaxing and pleasant. 
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

I,Galactus

14 miles one way on county roads and two-lane highways; takes about 25 minutes as long as I don't get stuck behind a gravel truck / school bus / farming implement.

I could take the freeway and save five minutes (traffic permitting), but I'd also have already uttered umpteen profanities before even making it into the office.
"Why don't you take a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut? Why don't you take a flying fuck at the mooooooooooooon?"

Baltar

Friends don't let friends play solid state amplifiers.

khoomeizhi

about 35 minutes one way. 18 or 19 miles.
let's dispense the unpleasantries

giantchris

I'd say it depends WHAT city you have to drive through in the morning.  I live in Chicago driving through morning rush hour can be an exercise in patience.  I drive about 25 minutes to and from work.  Longest time I've done was I worked an internship years ago that was a 50 minutes drive there an hour and twenty back and anything over 45 minutes in a commute is bordering on the not worth it.

Dunedin

Around 12 miles each way, which can take between 15-30 mins depending on traffic. I'm working a bank holiday today, got up at 6.15am and was in work for 7am. Luckily I dont go near the city centre and I work on the quieter side of the city. Traffic on the west side of Edinburgh can be bad.
Lemur Demands Back Scratches!

VOLVO)))

I've dealt with every shit-city-traffic clusterfuck in the Southeast US. Atlanta, Miami, Orlando, Tampa, NOLA, Pensacola, Macon, Jacksonville, Etc. I spent almost an hour trying to get OFF the interstate in Atlanta, to get to a gas station. Off-ramp backed up for two miles. I hate traffic.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

FullCustom

My shop is 6 Mi from my house. I used to live on the same block.

rayinreverse

I have a company vehicle. When I have to go to the office, its a 15 min drive. Other than that, it could be anywhere in the state, or our region, which includes western wyoming, and eastern Idaho and Nevada. Last year I worked on a hospital in Pocatello ID. I got up Monday morning and drive 200+ miles. Then stayed until Thursday night.

tossom

Used to drive 35 miles a day, 17 and a bit miles each way.

For the last year it has been 6 miles a day, saving a fortune on fuel.
"Beige rock"

johnny problem

21 Km each way, 40 minutes in total.

ryansummit

its so funny picturing what i think each of you looks like and what your driving to what kind of job
some of you are long haired bandana types in a  dirty pickup  workin in a meat factory
others in a prius going to an office building
and still others driving their moms gold taurus going to babysit your sisters kids
none of you like traffic
but you all are listening to badass tunes which is a plus

(just so i dont get smote for insulting anyone, i have nothing against bandanas)