Recommend me a good portable digital audio recorder

Started by Mike IQ, August 21, 2012, 10:30:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike IQ

This is primarily for recording my own practice sessions so it doesn't need to be top-of-the line. It does need to have two mic/line inputs because I improvise vocals/lyrics and I have a problem with not having them come out clearly on practice recordings, so I want to make sure that the vocals can be lined in directly as well as through the room mic. Any suggestions?
"I want to throw down your kid and stomp on his testicles, and then you will know what it is like to experience waking up everyday as me. And only then will you feel my pain." - Mike Tyson

zachoff

We used this guy before going to a blue mic in the room plugged into a laptop:

http://tascam.com/product/dp-004/

Worked pretty well but with the blue into the laptop we didn't need to build and export tracks and all that crap.  That's the biggest downer with the Tascam.  Super easy to record but if you want to get it onto another device (like a computer) to mix w/ Reaper or whatever, it takes a long time to build and transfer the .wav files.  Plus you need some 8G+ sim cards to record a full practice.  If you can live with that then this is a pretty rad little device.

bbottom

I've been recording band practices with a Zoom H2 for years and it's great. Super easy to use and once you mess around with it for a bit, you can get a decent recording out of it.

Here's a quick jam that we had a few weeks ago which I used the recorder on

eugenicscum

Zoom H2 works for me too. It can be used as an audio interface through the usb port if need be.

Lumpy

Zoom H2 doesn't have two lines in, but the Zoom H4 definitely does. (Maybe the new version of the H2 does? I have an older H2 that only has one mini-jack in).

Look into the Zoom H2 and H4.

Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

Mike IQ

Thanks guys! I'll definitely look into the Zoom(s)!
"I want to throw down your kid and stomp on his testicles, and then you will know what it is like to experience waking up everyday as me. And only then will you feel my pain." - Mike Tyson

VOLVO)))

"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.