Main Menu

When is time to quit?

Started by VOLVO))), June 23, 2012, 01:08:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VOLVO)))

So, basically, getting bands together in a college town is worthless and impossible. Everyone moves, or is too busy, can't afford gear, etc. I've been reduced to trying to write tunes by myself. Now, I'm a fairly proficient songwriter, I did it for a long time by myself, but after playing a band or two, and trying to go back to it.. I dont think I have it anymore. Ive been trying to write tunes with a looper pedal by playing riffs, then drumming to it. It's hard because a lot of the stuff is timed whacky or really fast, and there is no forgiveness or swing, body motions etc to take ques from with the looper. So I end up getting off from it all the time, then I feel like the riff is fucked up because I can't drum to it, etc. So basically Im stuck in an island with myself, a ridiculous amount of equipment, but no high quality riffs will come and I can't piece together tunes because nothing seems to fit together anymore.

is this a rut? Or is this shit forever?

Is it time?
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

RacerX

Do you mean quit playing or quit whining?

No to #1, yes to #2.

That's what you call tough love, young man.

Now go to yer room & play yer guitar until I tell you to come out.
Livin' The Life.

blackkrosses

I also live in a college town. It's like a revolving door of flake musicians that come, sometimes stay, but mostly go year in and year out.
I too find myself in  these ruts time and time again and always seem to pull through them somehow. Riffs don't make sense or fit anywhere, six months later I solve the problem. As for musicians to jam with I wish you the best of luck. It would be cool if you could find a band that gives a fuck. You obviously can play and your gear is top-notch.

Chin up.

dunwichamps

Move to CT, Work for Dunwich, Write riffs for me

VOLVO)))

That's the best idea yet! You should send all of your amps to me for... testing! You know, like as an application? Hahaha...

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

fallen

I don't know how it is for other people but when I was younger I used to put a ton of effort into every song, memorizing the whole thing and planning it all out, and then when 2 or 3 songs in a row didn't work out or sounded like crap it would get a bit depressing.

Then later while doing graphic design work I learned that a lot of ideas don't end up working and the best way to work was to do lots of rough concepts and then edit ruthlessly. Be creative and then apply hard work.

When the creative juices are really flowing I might get 2 or 3 ideas in a row that work out. Sometimes I'll trash a dozen ideas in a row. The key is to not spend hours on each one of those 12 ideas that get edited into the trash bin.

I do this with music to. Get rough ideas to tape, out of time, lots of mistakes, add in some improvised parts. Doesn't matter. If I ever think of a riff I record it with whatever is handy, usually my phone.

Then later I'll listen back and if anything still sounds good to me I might develop it into a full song. I only put in work on the 10% best riffs.

I have a terrible memory for riffs, I think I'll remember one and then a day later it's gone so rough recordings are the only way I can keep them straight. And waiting a few days makes it easy to edit. I just listen like it's someone else playing and edit them ruthlessly.

Glitchyghost

Just look at Wino.  Then ask yourself that question again.   Then shut up and turn up.

Baltar

It's rough, basically you either wait it out and hope for the best, or move to where it's happening.  Unfortunately, "where it's happening" is usually an expensive city or Europe.  I finally lucked out last month, I found a bass player and drummer that just happened to be married and have killer equipment and their own practice space.  I really lucked out.
Friends don't let friends play solid state amplifiers.

franksnbeans

Move out here to oakland!  We'll jam. 

clockwork green

I think the best thing black metal has done was to show everyone that a one man band could still be damn good.  It's maybe not the most satisfying but I just can't stop making music...finishing music is another story but there are just too many things in my head to not attempt to get them out. 

I was watching the Floor DVD and at one point they talked about how they lived in all sorts of different places and just met up a few times a year to record and tour.  I'm sure there's other people in various parts of Florida that you'd be willing to drive to once a month or so.  I know the older I get the less into practicing twice a week (or even once a week)...I'll still write stuff at home all the time but taking 3-4 hours out of my day to go over 1 or 2 new riffs. 

The other option is relocating but there are a lot of other things to consider with that. 
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

dunwichamps

Quote from: SunnO))) on June 23, 2012, 02:17:51 PM
That's the best idea yet! You should send all of your amps to me for... testing! You know, like as an application? Hahaha...
Move first then we will chat

VOLVO)))

Quote from: clockwork green on June 23, 2012, 04:42:22 PM
I think the best thing black metal has done was to show everyone that a one man band could still be damn good.  It's maybe not the most satisfying but I just can't stop making music...finishing music is another story but there are just too many things in my head to not attempt to get them out. 

I was watching the Floor DVD and at one point they talked about how they lived in all sorts of different places and just met up a few times a year to record and tour.  I'm sure there's other people in various parts of Florida that you'd be willing to drive to once a month or so.  I know the older I get the less into practicing twice a week (or even once a week)...I'll still write stuff at home all the time but taking 3-4 hours out of my day to go over 1 or 2 new riffs. 

The other option is relocating but there are a lot of other things to consider with that.

I love a lot of those one man black metal deals. I guess I just feel so... fake? Writing with a drum machine, even if I am going to record real drums later. I can do it, but it's hard because I want to hear something half assed decent while I'm listening. I guess I could be over analyzing it....

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

RacerX

QuoteThe other option is relocating but there are a lot of other things to consider with that.

Dude's an ordained minister—he can move anywhere.  8)

I done seen his Reverend Certificate, erm, Certificate of Reverence? Whatever you call it.
Livin' The Life.

VOLVO)))

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Mr. Foxen

I pretty much only write miserable music, when I can't right music, means I'm getting my life right. Got some family shit going down shortly so look out for a Warrior Pope EP. When I'm not doing music myself, I'm busy making other music happen though.

Pissy

Reading this thread makes me thank my lucky stars for the band I'm in. Though by nature our band just goes off the cuff much of the time so creative development occurs right then and there, then is largely gone. Also we don't practice enough to get burned out, so when we do get together it's like relieving blue balls.

It's funny the college town thing... I recall being envious of Chapel Hill's scene when I was younger and never really considered the fact that people come and go. How does that work?  Why are college towns historically good scenes when bands don't last?

Vinyls.   deal.

DustinAR

Forming a band is really pretty tasking. I have played with all kinds of people since I started playing guitar really, trying to form bands. 85% of them failed, but when you finally step into a room with folks that can get on your wavelength of thinking, its an absolutely beautiful thing. Keep going, you'll eventually find the right people, and you'll learn a lot along the way.

Sundholm

Shit, everyone should be an ordained minister.  Opens up the career options....

Baxandall

This thread is relevant to my interests.

VOLVO)))

I don't know what I want any more. I wanna play death metal. I wanna play doom, sludge, black metal... noise rock, math rock, post rock, good ol' greasy rock'n'roll.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

mortlock

Quote from: SunnO))) on June 24, 2012, 12:19:32 AM
I don't know what I want any more. I wanna play death metal. I wanna play doom, sludge, black metal... noise rock, math rock, post rock, good ol' greasy rock'n'roll.
if you can play all of that, id go where the best opportunity is to get whatever you want to get out of music in your life..

everdrone

Quote from: SunnO))) on June 23, 2012, 01:08:25 PM
So, basically, getting bands together in a college town is worthless and impossible. Everyone moves, or is too busy, can't afford gear, etc. I've been reduced to trying to write tunes by myself. Now, I'm a fairly proficient songwriter, I did it for a long time by myself, but after playing a band or two, and trying to go back to it.. I dont think I have it anymore. Ive been trying to write tunes with a looper pedal by playing riffs, then drumming to it. It's hard because a lot of the stuff is timed whacky or really fast, and there is no forgiveness or swing, body motions etc to take ques from with the looper. So I end up getting off from it all the time, then I feel like the riff is fucked up because I can't drum to it, etc. So basically Im stuck in an island with myself, a ridiculous amount of equipment, but no high quality riffs will come and I can't piece together tunes because nothing seems to fit together anymore.

Is it time?

I think anyone doing this would be in the same spot.  You really should get some basic recording gear and work on recording some real songs instead of messing with a looper and trying to drum to it etc.   Get ezdrummer for less than $100, download reaper, and get an interface like line 6 toneport for $100.  that is less cost than a good pedal!  then record bass and guitar.  make a ton of descent songs, then recruit musicians out of that. 

put in your craigslist ad "NO ILLEGAL DRUGS! NO FLAKES!"  this stops a lot of junkie flake types that commit to a practice then cancel last minute from contacting you.  music should be about music, if you cant find legit musicians then it is time to move or start recording songs.

liquidsmoke

I live in a college town and there are tons of people here that stay for years, some even grew up here and never left. It's the early/mid 20 somethings that tend to come and go, the older folks tend to stick around.

If I wasn't in a band and couldn't find anyone for one I'd continue writing songs and just record everything myself, either get better at drums or use a computer for the drums, the programs have come a long way.

If you are sick of playing music it really may be time to *give it a rest* for awhile but I wouldn't recommend selling ALL of your gear, you are definitely young enough to regret that.

VOLVO)))

Quote from: everdrone on June 24, 2012, 01:04:49 PM
Quote from: SunnO))) on June 23, 2012, 01:08:25 PM

Is it time?

I think anyone doing this would be in the same spot.  You really should get some basic recording gear and work on recording some real songs instead of messing with a looper and trying to drum to it etc.   Get ezdrummer for less than $100, download reaper, and get an interface like line 6 toneport for $100.  that is less cost than a good pedal!  then record bass and guitar.  make a ton of descent songs, then recruit musicians out of that.  

put in your craigslist ad "NO ILLEGAL DRUGS! NO FLAKES!"  this stops a lot of junkie flake types that commit to a practice then cancel last minute from contacting you.  music should be about music, if you cant find legit musicians then it is time to move or start recording songs.

I have a decent recording setup, and whatnot, the problem is... when I sit down in front of it... nothing comes anymore, it's like all of the riffs are gone, or something.

^^^^ this is pretty much what it yields.

^^^^ I'm sure most of you have heard these, because I'm sure I've posted them before, but I'm not really a stranger to doin' it alone, I just... can't do it anymore? Feels so foreign to me, at this point.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

johnny problem

Maybe you're approach isn't the best?  I know that solo artists, Brant Bjork for example, when recording Jalamanta, would lay down the drum tracks first and then add bass and guitar.  This might be the reason you're having difficulty adding drums to your guitar riffs.