Can't find a gig, Make one.

Started by Instant Dan, June 20, 2012, 12:12:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Instant Dan

mortlock

theres this basement called the meatgrinder that is really cool right now in my city.

Baltar

That's what it's gotten to be like in Toronto.  A lot of bars are pay-to-play.  I'd love to play another gennie party.
Friends don't let friends play solid state amplifiers.

skydogdiesel

no it's not that bad yet in toronto.  i mean, there are promoters who prey on young, naive bands that have them sell tickets to the shows at the bigger/more popular venues in the city without ever seeing any money- and if you're stupid enough to fall for that than you deserve to lose money.  also, there's so many shitty bands that disappoint. 
But what is more common place in toronto is promoters will only book your band if you can draw a stupid amount of people-it doesnt matter how shitty your prentious-art-rock band is-it only matters that you pack the bar.  it's like, "Hey i can fart in a can and put it through delay, and all my 50+ hipster friends will show up and blog the shit out the show". seriously-it's fucking ridiculous.

It's really gotten down to finding ways around the traditional venues and just doing it yourself.  house party's, skate parks, weed cafes,  and yea gennies help fer sure.  who's got one?
grandma always said the money's in dick and fart jokes...

mortlock

im not sure i like the art rock comment. whats wrong with art rock??

clockwork green

Quote from: mortlock on June 20, 2012, 11:44:12 PM
im not sure i like the art rock comment. whats wrong with art rock??

Agreed.  I feel like I saw a post like this somewhere else but the ultimate in unconventional gig spots is the Sigur Ros dvd where they return to Iceland and play all sorts of cool, unusal places. Even if you don't care much for the band it's a good, inspirational watch and you can rent it on itunes for a couple of bucks. 

Black Flag, Minor Threat, Fugazi and tons of other bands commonly rented halls instead of booking bars.
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

Lumpy

If you wanna play in a real club in a nice location with a stage, lights, bartender, door guy, sound guy, real PA with monitors, then you have to bring in people. The more fancy shit you expect, the more people you probably need to draw. Otherwise the club loses money. I think 15-20 people (per band) is a pretty good baseline number. If you can't bring in 15-20 people, don't book a show at a fancy rock&roll club.

The alternative spaces thing is a great idea, if you can avoid being raided.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

RacerX

Lumpy hit the nail on the head when it comes to clubs. To the dude counting the $$ at the at the club, your band = how many people you bring in and whether or not they buy a lotta drinks.

If your music is good, that's the icing on the cake. Thank goodness our 3 fans drink heavily...
Livin' The Life.

justinhedrick

Quote from: Hemisaurus on June 20, 2012, 05:04:12 PM
I have this:

i would love to have one of those . . .

i also love the idea of DIY shows in odd places.