Main Menu

School me on turntables

Started by chille01, June 19, 2012, 12:30:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chille01

For listening to LP's that is.  Not for scratchin' or doing other assorted DJ shit (do DJ's even use real vinyl anymore?).  I have an old Sony direct drive that is on the way out, and I wanna take a noticeable step up.  Think mid range HiFi... not super cork sniffer, but something quality that sounds great and is built to last.  New or used considered.  I eventually plan to replace my whole system this year with some quality shit, but I want to start with the turntable.

Let me know what to look for.  I'll probably post this in General too, since it isn't really just a jam room question.  But I thought some of you gear head's expertise might extend to the living room.

clockwork green

I got a pro-ject a few months back that I really like.  needledoctor.com is a good sight to wast time and money on. 
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

chille01

Thanks for the link Clockwork.  Yep, seems there is no shortage of cool sites like that to check prices and maybe make a purchase.  My problem is that I don't really know what I'm looking for.  It's kinda like wine, I can follow the conventional wisdom that higher price = better quality, but that isn't always true of wine and I'm sure it's not always true of turntables either.  I need a real record geek to tell me the top 3 brands/models to look out for or something.

The Shocker

I like vintage and hate fully manual turntables.  Currently running one of the old Denon "Flying Saucer" TT's and an older Sony.

Jake

I've got a vintage Bang & Olufsen, which can be found for not too much money. The cartidges can be another story though.
poop.

lordfinesse

Quote from: The Shocker on June 19, 2012, 07:27:23 AM
I like vintage and hate fully manual turntables.

Fully manual? Like, hand cranked?
Billy Squier 24/7

kirky

technics 1200.....my favorite....i have good luck finding them on craigslist....there's always some tweeker dj having to get rid of a turtable for short money....

clockwork green

Don't forget a preamp. Are you going with powered speakers or a separate power amp and speakers?
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"